Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:54 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yes. The first of these was on 38th Street, where a log cabin which was the oldest structure in Lawrenceville was lost for this monstrosity.
While that example is only partially clad with it, I'm convinced that Hardie board/panels will be looked at as our generations 'aluminum siding' in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 09:39 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Yes. The first of these was on 38th Street, where a log cabin which was the oldest structure in Lawrenceville was lost for this monstrosity. Right across the street a new house is being constructed right now where an old one was just torn down. My understanding is the sale was directly to the prospective homeowner (complete with plans for the new house) not to a builder.

The trend right now in Lawrenceville is to add these super-sized dormers. I think they look terrible, since the dimensions of these dormers typically work better on a Craftsmen house, not a skinny Victorian rowhouse. If you're going to add a functional attic, I think you should go the extra mile and convert it to a mansard roof, even if it's more expensive.

As my friends and I stood outside Grapperia one evening, we were discussing that very house on 38th. What a monstrosity it is. You have the amazing Victorian on the corner of 38th and Mulberry, then what seems to be a small farmhouse, then boom that hideous box of a house that towers over everything and must have cost a fortune. It is true, you can't buy taste.

While I am here, I might as well give some on the street Brookline updates. There is currently a house being flipped on my street, and should turn out very nice as they are at least adding parking in the rear, which is nice since there is no off street parking on my block. Sorry, eschaton, but it seems as though they painted the woodwork, but I believe it was in horrible shape, and not much character left in the house. Also there is another flip happening on the block of Bellaire Ave (between Glenarm and Flatbush) which is perhaps one of the nicest blocks in the neighborhood. That house had amazing original details left inside, and I am hoping that they left it intact. On the same block, what was a duplex recently sold, and I am hoping it is being returned to single family, and again hoping they keep the details as you can see a very nice staircase thru the front window. Overall, would say that houses are being flipped in Brookline at a pretty normal rate, however there really isn't as much turning over right now as there was in the past. I am not sure there are any real gems left and by that I mean the older homes with intact interiors that can be got on the super cheap. At this point, it is more a wait and see if some of the older folks pass on, and their houses go on the market. You can however still find an abundance of remuddled masterpieces from the 1970s.

In regards to the Blvd, it seems like nothing is really happening, so basically more of the same. There is a new pizza shop that is under construction, but it is about four doors down from a different pizza shop, and about two blocks away from two more pizza shops. Brookliners must love their pizza. The Blvd seems "stalled" or maintaining status quo. It is very functionable, but I have given up hope for any real improvements, or anything locating there that I would actual visit outside of necessities. There isn't much turn over of the stores because I think the rents are so low that what seems like a useless business with little income manages to survive. PNC did close it's branch on the Blvd, and has directed everyone who could walk or take the bus to their branch to now drive to McNeilly Ave to use their services. The space is too large and too expensive for another typical Blvd shop to open up, so perhaps it will finally be bought up for something exciting (would love a real restaurant or bar) or it will sit empty.

That's the long winded update from this far flung South Hills neighborhood.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:52 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
As my friends and I stood outside Grapperia one evening, we were discussing that very house on 38th. What a monstrosity it is. You have the amazing Victorian on the corner of 38th and Mulberry, then what seems to be a small farmhouse, then boom that hideous box of a house that towers over everything and must have cost a fortune. It is true, you can't buy taste.
There are so many terrible, terrible houses that have been built in the last 10 years in Lawrenceville you could do a photo tour of them. My "favorite" is undoubtedly this. I'm very impressed that the architect apparently used nearby remuddled houses to provide context. IIRC they were asking $600,000 when it was built, but it never sold and was since taken off the market. It makes garbage modern infill like this look good in comparison.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:44 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forging Steel View Post
I am starting this thread with the hope that residents from various city neighborhoods can give us updates regarding the development market there. The big projects get all the news but the block by block house flips and small neighborhood eateries often fly under the radar.

In recent months I have been surprised to learn that Carnegie's business district has really been rebounding, that there have been infill projects in the South Side Slopes and on Arlington Ave, that Manchester and Garfield have been turning around "for years" now, that Polish Hill's rents have skyrocketed in recent years, that people are indeed investing in Homewood, etc

What is happening in your neighborhood or on your block? Are there house flips happening in Elliott? A new coffee shop in Carrick? Are Uptown and the Middle Hill continuing their upward trajectories with such great access to downtown?

One of the things I miss about not living in Pittsburgh is being able to walk or bike around and see the tangible efforts to transform so many of our neighborhoods. Surely there are plenty more who don't get to see these changes firsthand who would appreciate insight into the general vibe surrounding many neighborhoods as we begin 2017.
South Side Slopes - especially near Allenton/Arlington
South Side Flats - near the South Side Works
Mt. Washington - especially around Boggs Avenue & Bailey Avenue
Beechview/Brookline/Dormont
Carnegie, but not East Carnegie
Millvale
Lawrenceville - especially Upper Lawrenceville, Blackberry Way/below Butler Street (Central Lawrenceville) and Lower Lawrenceville around Foster Street & Liberty Avenue
the Strip District
Polish Hill
Greenfield
Lincoln Place
Morningside
Bloomfield/Friendship north of Friendship Avenue
Pierce Street, eastern Shadyside
Garfield - around Fairmont Street & west of Atlantic Avenue mostly
Larimer - south of Meadow Street ONLY
East Liberty/southern Highland Park
Pebbles Square, Kelly West, Hamnett Place & Sperling in Wilkinsburg
Uptown aka the Bluff
the Hill District - south of Devilliers Street
Robinson and Dunseith Streets in West Oakland
South Oakland - south of the Blvd of the Allies
Lower Manchester (from Page Street to Liverpool Street) - especially the blocks further from the Ohio River
Upper Manchester - all of west of Fulton Street

Central Northside - especially north of Sampsonia Street
Deutschtown
Allegheny West/Allegheny Center (besides the Allegheny Commons East Apts)
Upper Spring Garden
Upper Spring Hill
Troy Hill - from Gardner Street to Rialto Street
West End Village
Arlington - past Clover Street
Homestead - below 12th Avenue
Braddock - around Braddock Avenue
Swissvale - around McClure Avenue & around Columbia Street
Library Manor, Eden Park, Duquesne Park & Renzie Park areas, McKeesport/White Oak
---
tier 2
the Hill District - from of Devilliers Street to Kirkpatrick Street
East Deutschtown
California-Kirkbride - near Morrison Street
Perry South - nearest to California-Kirkbride/Central Northside
Fineview (besides Allegheny Dwellings)
Marshall-Shadeland - south of Hodgkiss Street
Allentown
Beltzhoover - above of Cedarhurst Street
a section of southern Carrick, but not most of the neighborhood
Elliott - not around Lorenz Avenue
Hazelwood - around Gladstone Field
Hazelwood - from Tipton to Winston Street
Homewood South - below Hamilton Avenue
Singer Place area & Princeton Park Wilkinsburg (to a lesser extent)
Duquesne - at former Burn Heights site
McKeesport - 3rd Ward/4th Ward

Last edited by Uptown kid; 01-05-2017 at 10:53 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 02:03 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Yes. The first of these was on 38th Street, where a log cabin which was the oldest structure in Lawrenceville was lost for this monstrosity.
At least the view on the sidewalk across the street is more to my liking! Then again, I can't tell if that's a gay couple or just two "East End straight" guys.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:15 PM

96 posts, read 73,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
At least the view on the sidewalk across the street is more to my liking! Then again, I can't tell if that's a gay couple or just two "East End straight" guys.
I don't know a single self-respecting straight man that would be seen in those tight denim shorts-things. In Europe maybe, in Pittsburgh no way.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:37 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Wow, is that thing ugly or what? Geez!

Old 01-05-2017, 02:39 PM

110 posts, read 95,895 times
Quote:
It makes garbage modern infill like this look good in comparison
I walk by these all the time and can't understand the appeal. I've heard that one of the developers who did a lot of the infill in Lawrenceville just bought a few lots in East Deutschtown. I'm hoping they choose to do something more like this, which is at least less intrusive.

Right now, there are three townhouses going up in this lot. It looks like they are going to be a fairly cookie cutter, garage on bottom type of townhouse that you see around West Deutschtown.

I think someone else mentioned that you can't pay for taste, but I'm just happy to see some of these lots getting built on.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:39 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
There are so many terrible, terrible houses that have been built in the last 10 years in Lawrenceville you could do a photo tour of them. My "favorite" is undoubtedly this. I'm very impressed that the architect apparently used nearby remuddled houses to provide context. IIRC they were asking $600,000 when it was built, but it never sold and was since taken off the market. It makes garbage modern infill like this look good in comparison.
I don't mind the modern duplex all that bad. Nothing wrong with some other styles thrown in the mix.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:23 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw5100 View Post
I walk by these all the time and can't understand the appeal. I've heard that one of the developers who did a lot of the infill in Lawrenceville just bought a few lots in East Deutschtown. I'm hoping they choose to do something more like this, which is at least less intrusive.

Right now, there are three townhouses going up in this lot. It looks like they are going to be a fairly cookie cutter, garage on bottom type of townhouse that you see around West Deutschtown.

I think someone else mentioned that you can't pay for taste, but I'm just happy to see some of these lots getting built on.
Just chiming in to say yes, I am also very glad something is happening on Spring Garden Ave. The three townhouses do indeed look a bit bland, but in a way that should blend in fairly well with the existing structures. That block has a few older ones in danger of being torn down soon (or just collapsing, to be honest), so I am hoping the infill will attract others to come do much-needed renovation of the rest of the block. Tripoli Street has improved considerably in a short time, so fingers crossed for Spring Garden Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh