Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 11:44 AM

8 posts, read 11,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
Im assuming you are going FHA? if so you can do up to 4 units. You can no longer do owner occupied 5-10% down conventional loans. Its fha or 20% conventional. 3 and 4 units typically will be better from strictly a financial point of view, but they are also more work and can possibly have more potential problems. ( economies of scale work in both good and bad ways)

FHA loan limits are a little over 400k, so it opens up a good bit of options. If its currently rented, you can use the income from the units you do not plan to live in to help qualify for more loan.

really you need to know what your ultimate goal is going to be. Do you want maximum cashflow potential? max appreciation potential? what types of tenants are you looking to target? how handy are you? do you own most basic tools? do you own a vehicle that can transport materials?

for neighborhood, just buy where you yourself would like to live. I always use that as a starting point with people that want to do a live in multiunit. drive/walk around the area, and while looking at the building keep asking yourself "would I as a renter want to rent this place?" chances are if you say no, so will most potential tenants that you show it to. Also keep in mind the demographics of the area. If you want to target young professionals, you will want to buy in an area that those people want to live.

As for flipping, there is a ton of competition right now. Lots of contractors and investment partnerships that have systems in place and fairly deep pockets. Id highly suggest not going down this route unless you are confident in the project. Most people break even or lose money on their first flip because they dont plan properly or way underestimate the cost to rehab. 40-60k can be eaten up way quicker than you may think. thats actually a very small budget unless its a very basic reno.

Where are you getting this information that you cannot do 5-10% conventional? My roommate who purchase the house we live in the Flats got his $280k home with a 10% down conventional in July 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 11:55 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,458,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkillers View Post
Where are you getting this information that you cannot do 5-10% conventional? My roommate who purchase the house we live in the Flats got his $280k home with a 10% down conventional in July 2016.
is it a multi unit or single family. single family still allows 5% conventional and some are now even doing 3% conventional.

its been 2 years now since conventional lending guidelines allowed less than 20% down on multi family. You could do FHA and put more down to get to 10% but are only required to put 3.5% with FHA

Old 02-08-2017, 12:06 PM

8 posts, read 11,680 times
Quote:
is it a multi unit or single family. single family still allows 5% conventional and some are now even doing 3% conventional.

its been 2 years now since conventional lending guidelines allowed less than 20% down on multi family. You could do FHA and put more down to get to 10% but are only required to put 3.5% with FHA
I see, it's a SFR. Here are the guidelines I think you're referring to for anyone else who may come across this: Mod cut: link removed, please read our tos
Now, if talking to a portfolio lender who holds mortgages on their books, have you seen them go 90-95% LTV since they're not selling the loan off?

Last edited by Yac; 02-09-2017 at 02:35 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painkillers View Post
I see, it's a SFR. Here are the guidelines I think you're referring to for anyone else who may come across this:Moderator cut: link removed, please read our tos

Now, if talking to a portfolio lender who holds mortgages on their books, have you seen them go 90-95% LTV since they're not selling the loan off?
I dont know any lenders that will do so. You may find someone to do it, but Id be willing to bet the interest rate will be through the roof compared to a conforming loan.

Last edited by Yac; 02-09-2017 at 02:35 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 06:42 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
Correct - a multi-unit needs to be 20% down.

2-4 units are commercial if purchased by an LLC and not a FNMA backed loan.

You can do 3.5% down on an FHA purchase, but the property has to be in good shape and can't have an old roof, chipping paint, etc.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Correct - a multi-unit needs to be 20% down.

2-4 units are commercial if purchased by an LLC and not a FNMA backed loan.

You can do 3.5% down on an FHA purchase, but the property has to be in good shape and can't have an old roof, chipping paint, etc.
Interesting, Ive never heard of a roof becoming an issue for FHA. Chipping paint, no handrails on 3+ stairs and non fire rated doors between the garage and house are the three that always seem to show up for me.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:29 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
You can get a non FHA loan for 3% down in certain zip codes here through a bank program assisting developing neighborhoods here.

All that being said I think your excess cash is too low to think about doing what you want to get into.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:10 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,456,897 times
Quote:
Interesting, Ive never heard of a roof becoming an issue for FHA. Chipping paint, no handrails on 3+ stairs and non fire rated doors between the garage and house are the three that always seem to show up for me.
ive once seen them demand the roof a shed replaced.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:20 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
Quote:
If the roof is almost failing, they'll flag it...even if the roof isn't leaking. It is rare, but most multi-units that are for sale aren't in the best condition.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:05 PM

325 posts, read 322,877 times
I have a beautiful duplex in Mt Washington coming on the market in 2 weeks...

But besides that flipping is definitely possible in this area... find a house where u wouldn't mind living.. preferably south side greenfield mt wash Lawrenceville Brookline or dormont... find one that's just beat up.. not a complete rehab, old bathrooms 70s kitchens old flooring and a house that maybe could have a wall removed... the thing is people don't usually have the cash to fix these properties so they rather finance it into a mortgage... tons of old houses in the area waiting to be flipped... idk what these guys r talking about...

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh...obile_app=true

Beautiful lil ranch perfect for professional... that's a. Easy rehab knock a wall down and update some bath and kitchen then boom 90-100k easy...

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh...obile_app=true

Here's a nice lil duplex that needs work.. this could be a flip... just update everything and paint the outside of it or maybe do siding.. I'm sure I will get some negative replies but I know my stuff and I come with facts have a good day and good luck looking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh