Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 10:38 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,161,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
When I was down in Savannah for vacation the other week, I saw several historic homes which still had working gas lights on either side of their front door. I don't think I've ever seen that in Pittsburgh.
Growing up, my next door neighbor still had these. I haven't been by to check lately, but I recall the gas lamp being there as late as the late 90's / early 2000's. This wasn't in the city, however, it was in New Kensington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 10:47 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
When I was down in Savannah for vacation the other week, I saw several historic homes which still had working gas lights on either side of their front door. I don't think I've ever seen that in Pittsburgh.
There are gaslight neighborhoods in Brooklyn. It was always my dream to own one of those brownstones.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:48 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times
Katarina, I feel like we're saying the same thing but coming to different conclusions. And that's okay, not everyone is comfortable with the level of risk, hassle, and surprise factor that comes with an old house.

I'm not going to address every single point, but since you bolded the part about no ground wire, I want to point out that current code allows you to install a GFCI outlet anyway. Doing that lets you use a 3-prong plug and greatly minimizes the risk of electric shock to you (but it probably wont' save your device, which is why it's not a great idea for a computer or TV or something).

I'm not saying you should be happy to find knob and tube during a home inspection, but it's not something that has to be a deal breaker either. Not just in Pittsburgh, but all over the region there are old homes with knob and tube all over the place. I got a bit over zealous about replacing all my knob and tube and called one electrician who pretty much said "Look, I'll take your money if you really want me to, but half the homes in this neighborhood have live knob and tube. My house has live knob and tube. It's not as big of a risk as inspectors make it out to be"

I'm not sure how it first got brought up in this thread, but I really don't think it's going to have any impact on Amazon's decision.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Katarina, I feel like we're saying the same thing but coming to different conclusions. And that's okay, not everyone is comfortable with the level of risk, hassle, and surprise factor that comes with an old house.

I'm not going to address every single point, but since you bolded the part about no ground wire, I want to point out that current code allows you to install a GFCI outlet anyway. Doing that lets you use a 3-prong plug and greatly minimizes the risk of electric shock to you (but it probably wont' save your device, which is why it's not a great idea for a computer or TV or something).

I'm not saying you should be happy to find knob and tube during a home inspection, but it's not something that has to be a deal breaker either. Not just in Pittsburgh, but all over the region there are old homes with knob and tube all over the place. I got a bit over zealous about replacing all my knob and tube and called one electrician who pretty much said "Look, I'll take your money if you really want me to, but half the homes in this neighborhood have live knob and tube. My house has live knob and tube. It's not as big of a risk as inspectors make it out to be"

I'm not sure how it first got brought up in this thread, but I really don't think it's going to have any impact on Amazon's decision.
Last things first, no, this probably won't impact Amazon's decision. However, did you note that both articles said it might be difficult to insure a home with knob and tube, whatever one's beliefs about it are?

Old 04-09-2018, 11:12 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Last things first, no, this probably won't impact Amazon's decision. However, did you note that both articles said it might be difficult to insure a home with knob and tube, whatever one's beliefs about it are?
I've insured two homes with knob and tube and it was only a minor obstacle. Yes, a few companies turned me down, but I still found insurance within a few days both times, and the premiums were under $1,000 a year so it wasn't an exorbitant cost. The person who bought my house also apparently didn't have any trouble finding insurance. Heck, Progressive turned me down in Pennsylvania merely because the home was built before 1970-something, regardless of any other details.

There are plenty of homes all over Pittsburgh that are insured with knob and tube or even fuse boxes.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:03 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,390,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Has Amazon visited yet? Haven't heard that they have. Just worried that by not visiting, that's Amazon's decision on Pittsburgh.
PG giving some calming thoughts.

Amazon

So only about half of those on the shortlist have been visited.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:07 PM

68 posts, read 53,539 times
It isn't difficult to insure homes with k&t. I had plenty of options for my house.

The insurers I talked to were more concerned about fuses. Ironically, fuses are actually safer than breakers. It is pretty much impossible for a fuse to fail to blow while a defective breaker can fail to trip. However the problem is that people will swap out a constantly blowing 15A or 20A fuse with a 30A fuse or even a penny. The fuses were blowing as they should because otherwise the circuit would be over the rated current. Higher amp replacements result in the wire heating up from too much current. That's what causes fires. So because people are less likely to open up a breaker panel and install a higher current breaker, that is why some insurance companies mandate breakers instead of fuses.

Is the prevalence of k&t wiring in Pgh a deterrent for Amazon? I don't think so. Breaker panels are relatively inexpensive and quick to install. Once installed, insurance is easy and the houses are still cheaper here, including the rewiring cost.

Overall, the older housing stock could be considered a negative in the selection process. Or it could be considered a positive... depending on who you're talking to.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:58 PM

377 posts, read 667,494 times
Quote:
PG giving some calming thoughts.

Amazon

OTOH, taking a positive interpretation, maybe the ones that Have been visited were done to confirm their elimination.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:35 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
As much fun as it was to dream, lets face it Pittsburgh has no chance. If Amazon was okay with growing a city and with that would be they would have some power that would work, but they seem to want everything in place right now. Probably Boston or some other bigger city that can just have what they need right away. I think we are dead in this since they haven't even looked at Pittsburgh. It was nice to see us included though.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:41 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,894,638 times
Peduto would never pass up the chance to gloat. Amazon hasn't been to Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh