Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:06 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,922,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
OP, since you're an architect (do I remember that right?), how interested would you be in doing your own renovation? Just curious. There are still some interesting areas in the city where you can find some really cool old properties that need some love, but the conversation on here seems to be gravitating towards homes in really great condition. It might be something to think about, since you have the capital but aren't in a rush to move, and prices are going up fast in the city.
Oh, trust me, it is every architect’s dream (and perhaps fear) of designing their own home or gut renovation. It absolutely does seem that Pittsburgh is full of possibilities. I have designed the renovations of our house, kitchens, bathrooms, master suite additions, deck additions to half of the houses, our neighbors and friends, on the block and another 1/2 dozen in the neighborhood, completely new house fire rebuilds (with a drumming pavilion) as well as upgrades to hillside La Jolla houses overlooking the ocean -I designed half of two homes of our friends there in Pittsburgh in SD and am working on some ideas for their flips now- making San Diego more beautiful one house at a time I like to say

So it is definitely on my mind. But, our friends there who are flipping properties there have indicated that Pittsburgh has an unusual dearth of skilled, reasonable priced tradesmen that are so easy to find here. Renovations always go over budget and over timeline. But at the same time they are finally assembling at least a decent portfolio of contractors and workers there to draw from.

I am even intrigued by some of the rare empty lots in the North Side, or teardown equivalents with a brand new build. I just don’t know of the local building codes or departments. I will say that I think what with the regulations here in California, and specifically in San Diego, if you can get it through the he building department here what with the Historic Resource Board, the shear strength requirements for earthquakes, the extreme fire hazard zones, Hillside review, sensitive habitat review, brush zone requirements.... I would like to think I could handle Pittsburgh.

So, yes. That absolutely is on my radar.

Last edited by T. Damon; 10-23-2017 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 09:43 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,602,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Oh, trust me, it is every architect’s dream (and perhaps fear) of designing their own home or gut renovation. It absolutely does seem that Pittsburgh is full of possibilities. I have designed the renovations of our house, kitchens, bathrooms, master suite additions, deck additions to half of the houses, our neighbors and friends, on the block and another 1/2 dozen in the neighborhood, completely new house fire rebuilds (with a drumming pavilion) as well as upgrades to hillside La Jolla houses overlooking the ocean -I designed half of two homes of our friends there in Pittsburgh in SD and am working on some ideas for their flips now- making San Diego more beautiful one house at a time I like to say

So it is definitely on my mind. But, our friends there who are flipping properties there have indicated that Pittsburgh has an unusual dearth of skilled, reasonable priced tradesmen that are so easy to find here. Renovations always go over budget and over timeline. But at the same time they are finally assembling at least a decent portfolio of contractors and workers there to draw from.

I am even intrigued by some of the rare empty lots in the North Side, or teardown equivalents with a brand new build. I just don’t know of the local building codes or departments. I will say that I think what with the regulations here in California, and specifically in San Diego, if you can get it through the he building department here what with the Historic Resource Board, the shear strength requirements for earthquakes, the extreme fire hazard zones, Hillside review, sensitive habitat review, brush zone requirements.... I would like to think I could handle Pittsburgh.

So, yes. That absolutely is on my radar.
I hear you. I've probably mentioned that both of my uncles are architects in North county, and they collaborated on a series of renovations to my parents' house in Solana Beach...most of the homes in that neighborhood were built in the 1970s but then renovated and enlarged over the past 20 years, and zoning is a constant matter of debate...so I know what you mean, and yes, you're right about the shortage of good contractors etc in Pittsburgh. People post on here all the time about how hard it can be to find someone.

I like watching the old brick shells on the North side come up for sale, but there's not much available right now. Stuff sells really fast. I'm startled by how much it has changed just in the few years we've been here; there used to be a lot of cheap listings near us, but I'm not seeing many right now, at least none that I think would really interest you...but I'll come back to this thread if I notice any. Listings like this one used to be common, but now they don't come up as much, and this one is on a tricky narrow street that makes it a tough sell.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:29 PM

That’s actually a good looking house with a fairly classic design to it and some wonderful details remaining. $29k, Jesus Christ! And the location seems good, or at least not way out there.

I hate that for some odd reason you can’t find out square footage or lot size on these sites, it drives me a little crazy, I really need to discern the parameters. Apparently it just doesn’t work that way there. If the lot goes all the way down to the street at the bottom I guess I can design a garage and funicular to take you up to the house! Funny thing is that we oddly have two Subaru’s in San Diego of all places (they actually aren’t rare here at all) - maybe we were preparing for the snowy winding, narrow roads of Pittsburgh all along haha.

That there are still some rough edged gems like this remaining definitely gets my design juices flowing, and like you said- buy and just let sit while you design and assemble a build team and it doesn’t cost you hardly a thing until you dive in.

I like the way you think!

Keep an eye out for me if you see some other similar properties. Probably better to PM me so as not to let the competition in on it hehe.

I’ll reward you with either some design work that you might need or great dinners and conversation, your choice. I bartered a kitchen and master suite design for a deck our neighbor built for us and a master suite addition to the neighbor who married us in our canyon garden just to keep him, his wife, and now two great kids that we love and have watched grow up in the neighborhood from moving from their too small, but great Craftsman cottage. Pay it forward, you will always be rewarded.

Thanks again former San Diegan

Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,713,881 times
Quote:
That’s actually a good looking house with a fairly classic design to it and some wonderful details remaining. $29k, Jesus Christ! And the location seems good, or at least not way out there.
I know the above home well. I pass this on a daily basis. Knowing you, this area may be a bit rough and it's not within walking distance of anything but a mom/pop convenience store. Brookline however is one of my favorite city locales. It is very family oriented and the last of the still truly authentic city neighborhoods. Very Italian, old school Pittsburgh yinzer. I love it. A great business district "the Boulevard". Great record shop, coffee shop, library, couple diners, bakeries, taco stand and mid eastern grocery store restaurant. Fabulous.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:10 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,000,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I know the above home well. I pass this on a daily basis. Knowing you, this area may be a bit rough and it's not within walking distance of anything but a mom/pop convenience store. Brookline however is one of my favorite city locales. It is very family oriented and the last of the still truly authentic city neighborhoods. Very Italian, old school Pittsburgh yinzer. I love it. A great business district "the Boulevard". Great record shop, coffee shop, library, couple diners, bakeries, taco stand and mid eastern grocery store restaurant. Fabulous.
It's a very hilly walk with public steps, but I'd consider that home to be within walking distance of Wigle Barrel House, Penn Brewery, & Kaffeehous.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:34 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,071,242 times
This house looks like it has potential. It's close to the border with Wilkinsburg, but still in the city, so the taxes should not be ridiculous. Overall Greater Park Place is a nice area.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,027,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This house looks like it has potential. It's close to the border with Wilkinsburg, but still in the city, so the taxes should not be ridiculous. Overall Greater Park Place is a nice area.
What a great home. Love it. Just fix up the kitchens and baths and a few other odds and ends and boom you have an amazing home. Lots of quality there.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:54 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,602,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It's a very hilly walk with public steps, but I'd consider that home to be within walking distance of Wigle Barrel House, Penn Brewery, & Kaffeehous.
Yes, and also Spring Hill brewing opening next month, and Threadbare Cider which opened this past weekend; plus the bus lines make it very quick to get downtown from here. But I don't think this house specifically will work because it's at a point where Rhine street gets very narrow -- it's more an example of the kind of thing that pops up sometimes, and sells very fast if it's in a better location. There are some neat properties along Itin and Goehring, but they sell within a few weeks when they come up, so this was meant more to show the OP what the options could be in this general area.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I like it! That’s around the area of our long walk from RS to Point Breeze and looks to be far enough away from Penn St. traffic noise. Rework the kitchen and just turn one of those upstairs bedrooms into a master bath- hopefully able to piggyback to existing bath or nearby plumbing and we’re good to go!

Old 10-24-2017, 01:24 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,071,242 times
Quote:
I like it! That’s around the area of our long walk from RS to Point Breeze and looks to be far enough away from Penn St. traffic noise. Rework the kitchen and just turn one of those upstairs bedrooms into a master bath- hopefully able to piggyback to existing bath or nearby plumbing and we’re good to go!
Wilkinsburg has a little "hidden" business district about a three-minute walk from there. There's an antique shop, art gallery, and a stained glass maker. I think a little neighborhood market opened up recently as well, but it's only open Thursday through Sunday. Within 10 minutes or less, you can also walk to the East End Food Co-Op, the nearest Coffeeshop (Biddles Escape), a Turkish restaurant, and a pizza/ice cream place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh