Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 06:27 PM

255 posts, read 284,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman109 View Post
bunch of debby downers on this site.
Well most of us don't live in these nice areas around Pittsburgh. I'm sure if I lived in Mt Lebanon, Cranberry, or Hampton, then maybe I would have a more positive outlook about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 07:02 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
Well most of us don't live in these nice areas around Pittsburgh. I'm sure if I lived in Mt Lebanon, Cranberry, or Hampton, then maybe I would have a more positive outlook about the area.
I live in Greenfield and I honestly couldn't be happier. I have a lovely house that I could easily afford, I am 2 miles form my work, and I can walk to groceries, restaurants, parks, the library, the bank, etc. My neighborhood is safe, friendly, and convenient and I rarely have to drive anywhere, which is my version of heaven.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:38 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
bunch of debby downers on this site. I didn't grow up in Pittsburgh and never imagined that I'd wind up here but I moved here last year with the family. Count that as an inflow of +4 to Allegheny County. Pittsburgh has so many incredible positives about it that I think everyone here overlooks or discounts for some reason. Maybe it's because everyone here grew up here so you think the grass is greener someplace else. Every place has positive and negative things but I'd say the positives of Pittsburgh far outweigh the negatives. Far outweigh, plus if you drive out to the burbs like Pine and McCandelss, Ohio township and Cranberry it's all new houses and big new houses so it's not like the places is turning into Detroit. All you see are things getting nicer from what I've heard from People who grew up here. they say it's night in day in the city from even 10 years ago.
Agreed. My son and I made it +2 when we moved here five years ago.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:14 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Yeah, and unless you were born at Magee Hospital, you aren't really from here.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:22 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
bunch of debby downers on this site. I didn't grow up in Pittsburgh and never imagined that I'd wind up here but I moved here last year with the family. Count that as an inflow of +4 to Allegheny County. Pittsburgh has so many incredible positives about it that I think everyone here overlooks or discounts for some reason. Maybe it's because everyone here grew up here so you think the grass is greener someplace else. Every place has positive and negative things but I'd say the positives of Pittsburgh far outweigh the negatives. Far outweigh, plus if you drive out to the burbs like Pine and McCandelss, Ohio township and Cranberry it's all new houses and big new houses so it's not like the places is turning into Detroit. All you see are things getting nicer from what I've heard from People who grew up here. they say it's night in day in the city from even 10 years ago.
As someone not from or having ever lived in Pittsburgh, it's surprising given all the great things one hears about Pittsburgh and its booming economy, economic transformation, making the Amazon cut list, etc. that the population is still declining.

The population decline is occurring at the city and metro levels.

Having the oldest average age metro population is still taking its toll it appears.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:01 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Yes, the river towns whose better times were in the last century will have a hard time improving because of housing stock, urban layout, and all that.

But your argument here is weak - what about the Ohio, Upper St. Clair, Bethel Park townships, and the Fayettes?
And you know... the city as well...

From loosing 30,000+ people per census, every census, since I'm not sure... 1950? to finally stabilizing to actually having to look at a +/- every estimate...

Old 03-25-2018, 02:03 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
As someone not from or having ever lived in Pittsburgh, it's surprising given all the great things one hears about Pittsburgh and its booming economy, economic transformation, making the Amazon cut list, etc. that the population is still declining.

Having the oldest average age metro population is still taking its toll it appears.
Its important to note here that our Urban Area population has actually grown, albeit slowly, since 2010. If you take the estimates of the city and suburban areas its slightly higher than 2010 (~1,730,000 to ~1,740,000). Its the outer ring of our metro that has REALLY **** the bed that causes our MSA to lose population each estimate.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post

See below. The labor force has not grown much since 2010, when the recovery was beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
So the civilian labor force grew by about 1% (rounded up) from January 2010 to January 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Yeah, and unless you were born at Magee Hospital, you aren't really from here.
Does Beaver Valley Hospital (no longer around, I think it might be a nursing home now) count?

Old 03-25-2018, 02:30 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Be careful. Pittsburghtodd believes that people who don't live in Pittsburgh have no right to an opinion about Pittsburgh-related economic matters, especially if they're opposite of his.

I'm doing a bit of a feasibility study on the prospects of my being counted in Pgh's 2020 census figures. Maybe he would prefer I stay away?

Old 03-26-2018, 05:10 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Its important to note here that our Urban Area population has actually grown, albeit slowly, since 2010. If you take the estimates of the city and suburban areas its slightly higher than 2010 (~1,730,000 to ~1,740,000). Its the outer ring of our metro that has REALLY **** the bed that causes our MSA to lose population each estimate.
Really? Is there a specific name for the "city and suburban areas"? I want to read more about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh