Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 12:40 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I mentioned that he was running away to illustrate the point that he was not a threat to the police, not to justify the shooting.
Ah, apologies, some ppl I’ve interacted with seem to believe if you run from the police, you’re guilty and deserve to get shot. Policing is tough, but shooting a non threatening individual is beyond the pale.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:41 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
It is the state’s responsibility to hold criminals accountable, and the people’s responsibility to hold the state accountable. I am the people, not the state.
Lol. And that's why the shootngs in Pittsburgh will continue.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:42 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Lol. And that's why the shootngs in Pittsburgh will continue.
Umm...technically gladhands is promoting less shootings. Crime will continue regardless whether police shoot criminals or not.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:06 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Umm...technically gladhands is promoting less shootings. Crime will continue regardless whether police shoot criminals or not.
I wasn't suggesting the police should shoot criminals. So long as people refuse to provide information to police about criminal activity and "leave it up to the police " to solve shootings, the carnage by criminals will continue.

If I were a cop, I wouldn't waste time or energy on the problem, let alone get involved in chasing a suspect.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:06 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Ah, apologies, some ppl I’ve interacted with seem to believe if you run from the police, you’re guilty and deserve to get shot. Policing is tough, but shooting a non threatening individual is beyond the pale.
What everyone is forgetting is this car was stopped because it was involved in a murder a short time ago. How do we know the people running away would not take someone hostage or kill someone who got in their way. The common thread in almost all of these situations is to not be involved with criminal behavior and listen to the police.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Agreed, nobody should be shot it the back...or at all if they’re unarmed.

Curious to hear if they had weapons on them from the shooting they were involved in.
How was the officer to know this criminal was unarmed? They had just fled a murder. How is the officer to know they would not murder someone while trying to get away?

Old 06-20-2018, 01:12 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
How was the officer to know this criminal was unarmed? They had just fled a murder. How is the officer to know they would not murder someone while trying to get away?
How did the cops know he wouldn't grow up to cure cancer? All of this conjecture is absurd. The kid was fleeing, and did not pose an immediate threat to the officers or anyone else. The police had no right to shoot him.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
How did the cops know he wouldn't grow up to cure cancer? All of this conjecture is absurd. The kid was fleeing, and did not pose an immediate threat to the officers or anyone else. The police had no right to shoot him.
How do you know he "did not pose an immediate threat to the officers or anyone else"? This criminal could have taken a hostage to get away or murdered someone while getting away. This criminal could have ran around the block and ambushed the police. This criminal could have returned to try to "help" their fellow criminal. it is only prudent to assume a person who just fled a murder is a threat to the public or the police.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:17 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Agree or disagree with this but the law in PA permits officers to use deadly force when an officer, "believes both that: (i) such force is necessary to prevent the arrest from being defeated by resistance or escape; and (ii) the person to be arrested has committed or attempted a forcible felony."

I don’t think the officer acted correctly in this situation but it’s also pretty clear from the evidence that the guy shot was involved in the shooting in Braddock the previous hour before as well which makes for a sticky situation.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:26 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Agree or disagree with this but the law in PA permits officers to use deadly force when an officer, "believes both that: (i) such force is necessary to prevent the arrest from being defeated by resistance or escape; and (ii) the person to be arrested has committed or attempted a forcible felony."

I don’t think the officer acted correctly in this situation but it’s also pretty clear from the evidence that the guy shot was involved in the shooting in Braddock the previous hour before as well which makes for a sticky situation.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to UKyank again."

Thanks for bringing actual facts to the discussion. Anything involving an assessment of right or wrong based on the short video and very small number of facts that have come out about the case is really just speculation.

I am curious, though, if this part of PA law might be ripe for challenge due to violation of the 6th amendment, since criminals are entitled to a right to trial by jury. Maybe there has already been a challenge and this was upheld? Today, I suppose I am an armchair lawyer, as I have literally no legal background and I know others on here do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh