Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 12:57 PM

123 posts, read 138,702 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My fiancee and I are moving to Pitt! We are both in our early 30's and don't have children minus our two dogs. We have lived in Boston, Cincinnati and Miami in the past and I have to tell you Pitt has been the hardest to research prior to moving.

We will be heading down in about a week to begin looking at places to live. The issue is I have no idea where to start. I've read a bit and it seems like Golden Triangle, Shadyside and Lawrenceville could be good areas for us? We have two dogs, an English Bulldog and a Beagle so we'd need a yard or a very pet friendly apartment. We are also very into the restaurant scene.

We are looking for a two bedroom between $1500-$2000 with utilities.

My wife will be working near Ross Park. I'm not sure where I'll be yet.

I really appreciate anyone's help. I didn't expect this to be so difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 01:09 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,313,918 times
You mean working near Ross Park Mall? Why not just rent in Ross? You want to be in the city? Ross does have easy access to downtown (about 10 to 20 min depending on where you're coming from).

Old 07-11-2018, 01:17 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
If you want yard for pets I would absolutely not suggest Golden Triangle. It's downtown after all. I'm sure there are some pet-friendly apartment buildings, because I see people walking dogs downtown, but I don't know what buildings those are. More importantly, I'm guessing you guys have at least one car, which would make downtown a no-go, because parking doesn't typically come with apartments there.

If your wife is working in Ross, the North Side might be a good pick. I know Heinz Lofts is pet friendly, although it's sort of isolated without much around other than a coffeeshop in the building. Morgan at North Shore would likely be a bit better, because you could walk right across the bridge into downtown for dining, and I'm pretty sure parking comes included. Park View in Allegheny Center would be even cheaper, and also has parking, but it's a bit more of a hike across the river to Downtown.

Strip District is another possibility. I know Cork Factory, Lot 24, Edge 1909, 1627 on the Strip, and many of the other buildings are pet friendly and include parking. There's some restaurants in the Strip, but it's still more of a wholesale food market place, although it's changing rapidly.

In Lawrenceville the only large pet-friendly buildings are the new Foundry at 41st and Arsenal 201. Most of the housing stock is rowhouses. It's become a pretty expensive place to rent compared to the rest of the city, but it would give you the option of having a private yard to leave your dogs in when at work.

I don't think Shadyside has too many pet friendly apartments, though I know Bakery Living is pet friendly.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:20 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
I don't think I'd want to live downtown with two dogs. I'm originally from Cincy, so I'm used to doing the neighborhood translation for people (e.g. Lawrenceville = OTR, Shadyside = Hyde Park) If you want to be in the city, maybe Brighton Heights or the North Side would be good options.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't think I'd want to live downtown with two dogs. I'm originally from Cincy, so I'm used to doing the neighborhood translation for people (e.g. Lawrenceville = OTR, Shadyside = Hyde Park) If you want to be in the city, maybe Brighton Heights or the North Side would be good options.
We lived in OTR when we were there and would take the dogs to Washington Park. We have a court yard that worked perfect for them.

The place we have in Boston now is great because it has a small backyard. In Miami we were in a high rise and it was definitely a pain to go down 20 stories to take the dogs out three times a day. Trying to find a happy medium between the two.

We don't want to live anywhere where we would have to drive to restaurants or bars. We are fine with Ubering but rather it not be 15-20 mins every time we want to go out.

These responses have been great so far. Cancelling Triangle out of the equation then. We are just used to downtown living so I put it in the mix. Walkability would definitely be nice to have and parking, paid or not (preferably not). Do most places in Lawrenceville area have driveways or street parking at least?

Old 07-11-2018, 01:52 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,734 times
Northside (Mexican war streets, deutschtown) should fit the bill, maybe even Troy hill in the right spot

Old 07-11-2018, 02:16 PM

969 posts, read 772,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattolson View Post
We lived in OTR when we were there and would take the dogs to Washington Park. We have a court yard that worked perfect for them.

The place we have in Boston now is great because it has a small backyard. In Miami we were in a high rise and it was definitely a pain to go down 20 stories to take the dogs out three times a day. Trying to find a happy medium between the two.

We don't want to live anywhere where we would have to drive to restaurants or bars. We are fine with Ubering but rather it not be 15-20 mins every time we want to go out.

These responses have been great so far. Cancelling Triangle out of the equation then. We are just used to downtown living so I put it in the mix. Walkability would definitely be nice to have and parking, paid or not (preferably not). Do most places in Lawrenceville area have driveways or street parking at least?
Lawrenceville doesn't usually have off street parking, but you should be able to find on street parking. Shadyside might be better for your dogs and car. You can easily walk to the restaurants/bars in Shadyside and East Liberty. Consider Squirrel Hill, also.

Northside is a good suggestion except for the general lack of restaurants/nightlife.

Pittsburgh's suburbs are not very walkable for the most part and if you are new to the city and aren't simply picking school districts I'd want to be closer to the action or I'd feel isolated. Maybe OP wouldn't feel that way.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:21 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
Do most places in Lawrenceville area have driveways or street parking at least?
Parking is scarce in Lawrenceville, but it exists. Maybe half of homes have alley access, which allows for parking in the rear. Otherwise you're parking on street. I lived there for seven years, including after it blew up. As long as you're mainly using your car to get back and forth to work you'll be fine, but I wouldn't move my car in the evening to go out, because it's pretty likely you won't have a space on your block when you get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Northside (Mexican war streets, deutschtown) should fit the bill, maybe even Troy hill in the right spot
I like the Northside, but it's a lot sleepier when it comes to restaurants than Lawrenceville or other parts of the East End. I can only think of a handful of foodie type places, although two new ones are opening up soon.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Parking is scarce in Lawrenceville, but it exists. Maybe half of homes have alley access, which allows for parking in the rear. Otherwise you're parking on street. I lived there for seven years, including after it blew up. As long as you're mainly using your car to get back and forth to work you'll be fine, but I wouldn't move my car in the evening to go out, because it's pretty likely you won't have a space on your block when you get home.

I like the Northside, but it's a lot sleepier when it comes to restaurants than Lawrenceville or other parts of the East End. I can only think of a handful of foodie type places, although two new ones are opening up soon.
Northside to Lawrenceville doesn't seem like a bad Uber.

Another question, my fiancee is a runner. Are these areas good for her to run in early morning or late night?

Old 07-11-2018, 03:08 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,734 times
Quote:
Northside to Lawrenceville doesn't seem like a bad Uber.

Another question, my fiancee is a runner. Are these areas good for her to run in early morning or late night?
I mean I’m not sure how comfortable I’d be running anywhere in the city late at night as a single female, but there are paths around Allegheny center that would probably make for decent early morning running (like 5-7am). Best outdoor running would probably be along the north shore but that’s a bit of a hike for a quick 30min morning run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh