Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:32 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times

Advertisements

Bourdain spoke at Heinz Hall this week: Eat this, Anthony Bourdain!

Quote:
It's a principle that seems to apply when he's abroad, filming his traveling food show "No Reservations." But when asked by an audience member if he would consider doing a show in Pittsburgh's Strip District, he was dismissive, asking if Pittsburgh had any indigenous foods. And when another asked what he ate when he was on his book tour, making stops in Middle American cities such as this, he said he usually "grabs a can of Pringles" out of the vending machine.

It felt like a slight of the city. Because hey, while it might not be a food destination, we all gotta eat.

Sure, Guy Fieri has bleach tips, but he's championed several of the city's iconic eateries. In the end, he's one of only a few that celebrate America's indigenous cuisine, for better or for worst. A Primanti Bros. sandwich is no Namibian warthog rectum, but it's ours. So where's the respect, Bourdain?
I get that Pittsburgh isn't really a foodie town but I've seen Bourdain's show, and he was pleasantly surprised by what cities like Baltimore and Buffalo and Cleveland have to offer. Why not Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 06:53 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Bourdain spoke at Heinz Hall this week: Eat this, Anthony Bourdain!

I get that Pittsburgh isn't really a foodie town but I've seen Bourdain's show, and he was pleasantly surprised by what cities like Baltimore and Buffalo and Cleveland have to offer. Why not Pittsburgh?
He might classify Pittsburgh as the same kind of city as Baltimore, Buffalo, and Cleveland....and since he's already done a 'Rust Belt' show...adding a Pittsburgh, you'd have to basically do a 'Rust Belt II' program.

That's a hard thing to do, figuring he is very international with his show...and the immense amount of cuisines around the world.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:00 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,500 times
Foodies make me sick.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:06 PM

457 posts, read 1,279,968 times
Ok, I am with Bourdain on this one. Sorry, but I would pick Pringles over a Primanti's sandwich any day. If I was offered a meal in either Cleveland, Buffalo, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh....Pittsburgh would be last on my list.

Guy Fieri? Seriously? I don't know how basic Italian food can be considered a Pittsburgh icon. That is pretty sad if generic pasta is the best you can offer.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:10 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
I can understand the point that there isn't a particularly interesting story to tell about food in Pittsburgh. And I am fine with that--we've got good food, and that is enough for me.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,209 times
I was at Heinz Hall when he spoke and he really wasn't dismissive. He politely danced around the fact that he just wasn't interested in a sandwich with coleslaw and french fries on it.

This is the guy who's traveled the world and ate the local dishes of many many cities. When you've seen and ate it all, I don't think it's a slight on a city if you pass on their local gimmicky dish.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:40 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
I understand the Primanti's thing, because I'm not a fan either, but it seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater to not give any of Pittsburgh's food traditions a shot. The Strip on a weekend morning, or church ladies making pierogies. I'm not a fine dining person, but I can't believe that there aren't any chefs making interesting food in the whole city. And not even for TV. If he's saying he'd rather eat Doritos in his hotel room than try someplace like Legume, then that is kind of a snub.

Quote:
Guy Fieri? Seriously? I don't know how basic Italian food can be considered a Pittsburgh icon. That is pretty sad if generic pasta is the best you can offer.
I take it you've never seen Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. The guy may be a douche, but he seems to love Pittsburgh, and there are plenty of great divey places to check out. Maybe that's Bourdain's problem--we're just not upscale enough.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-19-2010 at 07:11 AM..

Old 06-19-2010, 07:00 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,283 times
As much as I dislike Cleveland as a city, one of the areas they really shine is their dining scene. They have a ton of star power with money investing in new concepts there, something that Pittsburgh has failed to do so far.

Up until a few years ago I would have put us as one of the worst large cities in the nation for foodies. I do think things are really starting to pick up steam though. A lot of big gaps in our restaurant scene have been filled lately, and more are on their way. The farm to table concept is one that Pittsburgh seems to be embracing, and we have some pretty serious farms in our region to lean on for that. Legume in Regent Square is an example (still one of the best restaurants I've been to anywhere), and Salt of the Earth is coming in the next month or two. I also think there are a few local chefs (Kevin Sousa) who have the potential to really make a name for themselves on a national scale over the next few years if they choose to. That would go a long way towards getting some attention from people other than Guy Fieri.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:54 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
When I first got here in 1993, the restaurant scene really did suck. In the early 2000s it seemed to take off, and now there are more than enough worthy places to keep us happy, with new ones opening all the time.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:47 AM

457 posts, read 1,279,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I take it you've never seen Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. The guy may be a douche, but he seems to love Pittsburgh, and there are plenty of great divey places to check out. Maybe that's Bourdain's problem--we're just not upscale enough.
Yes, I have seen the episodes where Guy has ventured to Pittsburgh. Again, nothing special about the dives he has visited. In fact, it is embarrassing for Pittsburgh that he is raving about elementary dishes when he visits other dives outside of this region that serve gourmet specialties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh