Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 04:32 AM

8 posts, read 11,560 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a single-male young professional in my early 30s with no kids. I currently live in DC. I possibly have a job offer located in Wheeling, WV. However, I'd strongly prefer not to live there and would strongly prefer living in Pittsburgh. My commute to/from work here in DC is about 45 minutes with traffic, so the Google Maps estimate of an hour drive from Pittsburgh to Wheeling doesn't bother me.

My question is where can I live in Pittsburgh that's renovated, social, full of people my age/working status, walkable, and with decent access to whatever highways will take me southwest to Wheeling?

Thank you for you help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 06:34 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,285,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWalker View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm a single-male young professional in my early 30s with no kids. I currently live in DC. I possibly have a job offer located in Wheeling, WV. However, I'd strongly prefer not to live there and would strongly prefer living in Pittsburgh. My commute to/from work here in DC is about 45 minutes with traffic, so the Google Maps estimate of an hour drive from Pittsburgh to Wheeling doesn't bother me.

My question is where can I live in Pittsburgh that's renovated, social, full of people my age/working status, walkable, and with decent access to whatever highways will take me southwest to Wheeling?

Thank you for you help!
you are looking for the east end but that would be brutal commute, up to two hours during rush hour in the evening. i woud reconsider the job offer if you are set on that kind of area. are you getting a big raise?

maybe consider mt. lebo possibly but that is more people with kids. not sure what your idea of renovated is though. carnegie is okay but not exactly hip or renovated.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:54 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,923,786 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you for you help!
You could check out Mt. Washington. It gives you access to the highways you need via the backside of the mount, and access to to rest of the city from the front. Shiloh is a nice little street with a couple bars, with The Summit being the standout, and you can get around the city quickly from there.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:09 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,713,881 times
Forget the commute. You'll hate it. It's at least 1 hr 15 minutes on a low traffic day. I've made the trip hundreds of times. Learn to love Wheeling or don't take the job. It's actually pretty cool, cheaper cost of living, rail trails, Center Market. Give it a chance.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
You could check out Mt. Washington. It gives you access to the highways you need via the backside of the mount, and access to to rest of the city from the front. Shiloh is a nice little street with a couple bars, with The Summit being the standout, and you can get around the city quickly from there.
I'll check out Mt. Washington, thank you!

Old 05-10-2019, 08:22 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Carnegie might be an interesting option--it's really on the upswing.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Forget the commute. You'll hate it. It's at least 1 hr 15 minutes on a low traffic day. I've made the trip hundreds of times. Learn to love Wheeling or don't take the job. It's actually pretty cool, cheaper cost of living, rail trails, Center Market. Give it a chance.
I'm a left-leaning racial minority, so socially I doubt I want to live in Wheeling. Not saying its a bad place, but just not what I'm looking for. As far as the commute, my commute to and from work in traffic-ridden DC is basically an hour. I'm pretty much used to taking an hour to get to and from work.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:47 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,318,478 times
Quote:
I'm a left-leaning racial minority, so socially I doubt I want to live in Wheeling. Not saying its a bad place, but just not what I'm looking for. As far as the commute, my commute to and from work in traffic-ridden DC is basically an hour. I'm pretty much used to taking an hour to get to and from work.
Would commuting 4 hours a day really be less inconvenient than having Republican neighbors?

Old 05-10-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Would commuting 4 hours a day really be less inconvenient than having Republican neighbors?
4 hours? A place like Mt. Washington to Wheeling would be about 2.5 hours a day, according to Google Maps (which isn't the final authority, but a pretty accurate tool).

Republican neighbors?!? Gasp!

I've lived in cities my entire life, its just a preference to live in one. I don't mind a 2.5 hour commute to and from work if i can still live in a city.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:18 AM

755 posts, read 474,329 times
Quote:
4 hours? A place like Mt. Washington to Wheeling would be about 2.5 hours a day, according to Google Maps (which isn't the final authority, but a pretty accurate tool).

Republican neighbors?!? Gasp!

I've lived in cities my entire life, its just a preference to live in one. I don't mind a 2.5 hour commute to and from work if i can still live in a city.
I like Carnegie for you too. But understand that it is an older area, from a housing stock/infrastructure standpoint, that is on an upswing, but doesn't compare (yet) to the more active areas in the city proper (Shadyside, Lawrenceville, East Liberty/Garfield, Bloomfield, Oakland, South Side, etc.). Problem for you is that any of the city neighborhoods are going to present pretty bad traffic scenarios getting to the main routes to Wheeling. But if you are determined to live in a city neighborhood, maybe downtown (or even Strip District) might actually be a good choice with the "reverse commute". Perhaps others, more familiar with these traffic flows can comment on this option.

Welcome and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh