U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2019, 07:29 PM
 
2,194 posts, read 1,483,928 times
Reputation: 2191

Advertisements

I was downtown recently and noticed that none of the places I ever go to have sun filled bar areas on afternoons and evenings to get a beer. Mostly because they aren't located on south/west corners. but sometimes its because other buildings are blocking the sun.

Anyone know of any good ones? I hope this does not devolve into yet another Pittsburgh weather thread - so I'll state outright this is not about weather, but only about good bars/restaurants getting a good amount of sun on sunny days and evenings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2019, 02:20 AM
 
2,533 posts, read 2,044,705 times
Reputation: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I was downtown recently and noticed that none of the places I ever go to have sun filled bar areas on afternoons and evenings to get a beer. Mostly because they aren't located on south/west corners. but sometimes its because other buildings are blocking the sun.

Anyone know of any good ones? I hope this does not devolve into yet another Pittsburgh weather thread - so I'll state outright this is not about weather, but only about good bars/restaurants getting a good amount of sun on sunny days and evenings.
There are a few roof top bars in the cultural district, reference the newer thread where they are mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 08:05 AM
 
2,194 posts, read 1,483,928 times
Reputation: 2191
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
There are a few roof top bars in the cultural district, reference the newer thread where they are mentioned.

That's not exactly what I was talking about. and I don't know any of them that are very sunny anyways, except maybe the one at the Monaco which is basically just a patio with a food truck. or at least last time I was there it was. but was a while ago. I'm talking about real bars/restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 02:47 PM
 
Location: NW PA
426 posts, read 966,120 times
Reputation: 434
Well, maybe try Hofbräuhaus Pittsburgh...



I have had great beer on very sunny days on the deck. Just a bit outside of the city, on the other side of the Mon river.

https://www.hofbrauhauspittsburgh.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 03:21 PM
 
2,194 posts, read 1,483,928 times
Reputation: 2191
I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm not really talking about outdoor spots. I mean indoor bar/restaurants that are sunny but you can stop in to get out of the heat. and in downtown proper. I'm guessing there really aren't any good ones, which is weird. Closest I saw recently was Fogo de Chao, and that I think faces north, but gets reflected sun off the glass from the building next door, lol.


This seems to be a odd phenomenon in Pgh where they just don't have these places on the south or west corners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Downtown Cranberry Twp.
8,817 posts, read 5,485,483 times
Reputation: 2058
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm not really talking about outdoor spots. I mean indoor bar/restaurants that are sunny but you can stop in to get out of the heat. and in downtown proper. I'm guessing there really aren't any good ones, which is weird. Closest I saw recently was Fogo de Chao, and that I think faces north, but gets reflected sun off the glass from the building next door, lol.


This seems to be a odd phenomenon in Pgh where they just don't have these places on the south or west corners.
Since sunshine isn’t available the majority of the time, it’s not such an odd phenomenon. While not in downtown proper, and while I haven’t been there yet but looking forward to checking it out, Shiloh Grill on Mt. Washington is supposed to have a nice indoor/outdoor atmosphere with good food and beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 12:56 AM
 
2,194 posts, read 1,483,928 times
Reputation: 2191
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Since sunshine isn’t available the majority of the time, it’s not such an odd phenomenon. While not in downtown proper, and while I haven’t been there yet but looking forward to checking it out, Shiloh Grill on Mt. Washington is supposed to have a nice indoor/outdoor atmosphere with good food and beer.

Well I mean, I'm walking around DT and its sunny and hot. and I want to stop in some place for a beer and maybe some food. but I don't want a dark atmosphere I want a bright sunny place. downtown. not greater downtown. its kinda weird that there are none that are really like that. most places are on the north or east facing streets, and its just very strange how that happened. or maybe there is some reason behind it, I just don't get it. I think people are much more likely to frequent a place that has more natural light. or is this just me.

Last edited by _Buster; 08-04-2019 at 01:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Downtown Cranberry Twp.
8,817 posts, read 5,485,483 times
Reputation: 2058
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Well I mean, I'm walking around DT and its sunny and hot. and I want to stop in some place for a beer and maybe some food. but I don't want a dark atmosphere I want a bright sunny place. downtown. not greater downtown. its kinda weird that there are none that are really like that. most places are on the north or east facing streets, and its just very strange how that happened. or maybe there is some reason behind it, I just don't get it. I think people are much more likely to frequent a place that has more natural light. or is this just me.
While I rarely take what’s said here as the feelings of the majority in regards to those that live in dt and in and around the city, the comments about Pittsburgh weather makes it sound like sunshine certainly isn’t a popular enough factor to prioritize a bar/restaurant in a sunny place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 04:05 PM
 
2,194 posts, read 1,483,928 times
Reputation: 2191
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
While I rarely take what’s said here as the feelings of the majority in regards to those that live in dt and in and around the city, the comments about Pittsburgh weather makes it sound like sunshine certainly isn’t a popular enough factor to prioritize a bar/restaurant in a sunny place.

I would think the opposite - if people are feeling a lack of sun then they would want to prioritize it. It might be just not big enough of a factor and maybe the rents tend to be higher, IDK. I think I'm more concerned with atmosphere in a place than most people, so could be that it's just not a big factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
22,699 posts, read 24,307,242 times
Reputation: 49395
Are there sunny bars in other downtown areas? Bars, by their nature, are usually dark, especially if they're on the ground floor of a high rise downtown building. The only bar I can think of that's not uniformly dark as a bar is The Porch in Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top