Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 09:29 AM

755 posts, read 472,413 times

Advertisements

I tried drilling down on the BLS website, but there was no ability to do that as far as I could find. I am not sure that it matters much. It seems to me that the city (300K) and the county (1.1mil) are about 15% and 50% of the metro so what happens in those two areas is, literally only half the story. I don't know. I think if the area doesn't get out of the "city vs. the rest" mentality, there can never be a consensus on how to address the underlying issues.

Anyone remember that debt counter someone put up years ago, I think in NYC, that ticked up every time the federal deficit increased? We can post theses numbers on the ugly billboard on Mt. Washington (the one formerly advertising Sprint). Maybe that's what it will take to get the attention of the grandees in this town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 09:48 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Jobs were growing just fine in this region when we had President Obama. Maybe the problem isn't local and Mr. Pittsburgh Not Paris doesn't have any idea what he's doing or is telling lies to workers while only helping other billionaires.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:54 AM

716 posts, read 765,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
I think if the area doesn't get out of the "city vs. the rest" mentality, there can never be a consensus on how to address the underlying issues.
I'm on your side of that point and am not trying to instigate such an argument; that said, I asked if anyone had seen that data because I think it's important to fully understand the data and where the regions strengths and weaknesses lie in reference to this problem so that the underlying issues can be addressed.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:55 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I will say for an area with supposedly anemic economic growth these high-end apartments and condos are being leased and sold, respectively, almost as rapidly as they're being built. Additionally my neighborhood, which supposedly is poor, is replete with BMW's.

Are Pittsburghers living way beyond their means (bubble), or is there something wrong with these statistics?

Is it also possible the city and Allegheny County are just doing VERY well right now while Fayette, Westmoreland, and Washington Counties aren't doing so hot?

Old 09-17-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Jobs were growing just fine in this region when we had President Obama. Maybe the problem isn't local and Mr. Pittsburgh Not Paris doesn't have any idea what he's doing or is telling lies to workers while only helping other billionaires.
Maybe true. But that doesn't change the order of ranking (84 of 90). There's lots of metros growing at 2-4%, which is a lot year-to-year at this point in the current expansion. It seems to me that this slow growth has been a problem for the past 3-4 years from what I read. Maybe it is the Orange Man???? We're getting off topic. . . . ;-)

Old 09-17-2019, 09:56 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I will say for an area with supposedly anemic economic growth these high-end apartments and condos are being leased and sold, respectively, almost as rapidly as they're being built. Additionally my neighborhood, which supposedly is poor, is replete with BMW's.

Are Pittsburghers living way beyond their means (bubble), or is there something wrong with these statistics?

Is it also possible the city and Allegheny County are just doing VERY well right now while Fayette, Westmoreland, and Washington Counties aren't doing so hot?
The city, north hills and southern Butler County are doing well.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The city, north hills and southern Butler County are doing well.
I guess Allegheny County and Butler County are doing well---but not well enough to fully counteract all the sharting of the bed going on in Westmoreland, Fayette, Armstrong, Beaver (sans the cracker plant), and Washington Counties.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:07 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:

Who/what says your area is supposedly poor?

Old 09-17-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
I'm on your side of that point and am not trying to instigate such an argument; that said, I asked if anyone had seen that data because I think it's important to fully understand the data and where the regions strengths and weaknesses lie in reference to this problem so that the underlying issues can be addressed.

Oh, sorry. That wasn't directed to you at all. It's just something I have observed since we moved here, both in the media and in my experience. My point is that you can improve the city and county, but that's only one side of the coin. Don't get me wrong. As someone who enjoys culture and the outdoors equally, I love the city AND the outlying areas and spend a lot of time in both. But in general, I don't think there is a lot of mixing of people and opinions between the two. Probably not unique to this area, but when the issues and impacts are regional (see previous post on funding and political representation, not to mention perception), our leaders need to pull together, not apart.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I guess Allegheny County and Butler County are doing well---but not well enough to fully counteract all the sharting of the bed going on in Westmoreland, Fayette, Armstrong, Beaver (sans the cracker plant), and Washington Counties.

I know it's not exactly the same as the job growth metric, but the unemployment rates in all but Fayette Co. are in the 4.1-4.3 range. That's not terrible (i.e. "sharting") and less than a half point above the national average, and only two to three tenths above Allegheny Co.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh