Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 10:52 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,920,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
I know it's not exactly the same as the job growth metric, but the unemployment rates in all but Fayette Co. are in the 4.1-4.3 range. That's not terrible (i.e. "sharting") and less than a half point above the national average, and only two to three tenths above Allegheny Co.
I think income changes, not job growth, is an underlying story in what is changing in Pgh. The linked article is more broadly about housing but this is interesting...

For 2019, AMI in Allegheny County is $79,900. That marks a roughly 5% increase from last year’s AMI of $76,000, and a 23% increase from 2012’s AMI of $64,900.

https://www.publicsource.org/as-area...dable-housing/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 11:07 AM

755 posts, read 473,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I think income changes, not job growth, is an underlying story in what is changing in Pgh. The linked article is more broadly about housing but this is interesting...

For 2019, AMI in Allegheny County is $79,900. That marks a roughly 5% increase from last year’s AMI of $76,000, and a 23% increase from 2012’s AMI of $64,900.

Yes, I did see this article (and Public Source is about the only media outlet asking tough questions). I hope the increases prove to be distributed broadly across the region when those numbers are released. If not, we will still have this dichotomy. I know one narrative based on such stats is that the city is getting smaller and more wealthy. I don't really see that as a formula for success. I see a lot neighborhoods that continue to decline (Beltzhoover, Allentown, Crafton Heights, Esplen, Marshall-Shadeland, etc.), and some just holding their own (Beechview, Lincoln Place, Brighton Heights, etc.). All boats need to rise more evenly to compete nationally and build-up the city, county and region. Job growth = population growth = economic and political leverage.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:10 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

From the article:

"While AMI has been rising, Metropulos said she has yet to see a spike that concerns her.

“I keep waiting to see a giant jump in AMI every year,” she said. “It hasn’t happened yet, but I am always waiting for it.”

Is she blind?

Old 09-17-2019, 11:30 AM

755 posts, read 473,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
From the article:

"While AMI has been rising, Metropulos said she has yet to see a spike that concerns her.

“I keep waiting to see a giant jump in AMI every year,” she said. “It hasn’t happened yet, but I am always waiting for it.”

Is she blind?
I think what she is saying is exactly what's quoted "giant jump in AMI every year". Starting in 2012 through 2018 the annual increase appears to be in the +/-2% range. I think she is saying if this (+5% increase) happens when the 2020 numbers are in, she will see it as more of a trend rather than an anomaly.

BTW - the first time I read it I scratched my head too, so you're not alone. ;-)

Last edited by Charley Barker; 09-17-2019 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: added comment

Old 09-17-2019, 11:53 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,920,320 times
Quote:
Yes, I did see this article (and Public Source is about the only media outlet asking tough questions). I hope the increases prove to be distributed broadly across the region when those numbers are released. If not, we will still have this dichotomy. I know one narrative based on such stats is that the city is getting smaller and more wealthy. I don't really see that as a formula for success. I see a lot neighborhoods that continue to decline (Beltzhoover, Allentown, Crafton Heights, Esplen, Marshall-Shadeland, etc.), and some just holding their own (Beechview, Lincoln Place, Brighton Heights, etc.). All boats need to rise more evenly to compete nationally and build-up the city, county and region. Job growth = population growth = economic and political leverage.
Agreed, however this is better than jobs and wages slipping so it just needs to be spread out more evenly.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:34 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,947,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Jobs were growing just fine in this region when we had President Obama. Maybe the problem isn't local and Mr. Pittsburgh Not Paris doesn't have any idea what he's doing or is telling lies to workers while only helping other billionaires.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Moby Hick again.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:35 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,971,727 times
Quote:
We aren’t going to get good paying jobs for the undereducated/skilled unless we pass a living wage law. Manufacturing isn’t coming back, and a large percentage of the population is never going to enter the knowledge economy. The people struggling to make a living wage would also struggle in the big coastal cities and the fast-growing sunbelt cities.

As someone else stated earlier, we really have to address the opioid epidemic. This area has a serious shortage of school bus drivers, a relatively low-skill job that can pay a living wage. We can’t fill those positions because of the low number of people who would want such a job AND pass a drug test.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:39 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Jobs were growing just fine in this region when we had President Obama. Maybe the problem isn't local and Mr. Pittsburgh Not Paris doesn't have any idea what he's doing or is telling lies to workers while only helping other billionaires.
Weren’t most all of those low paying, mostly insignificant jobs? Hanging ones hat on those certainly isn’t anything special.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:41 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,971,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Weren’t most all of those low paying, mostly insignificant jobs?
There are no insignificant jobs. Low-paying jobs are low-paying because we allow corporations to exploit workers. I’m sure you’re going to tell me that no one is forcing people to work for minimum wage.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:49 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
There are no insignificant jobs. Low-paying jobs are low-paying because we allow corporations to exploit workers. I’m sure you’re going to tell me that no one is forcing people to work for minimum wage.
Agreed 100%.

Contrary to popular belief among conservatives not EVERY person can just go from being a janitor or school bus driver or pizza delivery person to being a software engineer or robotics technician or AI developer "if they work hard enough and stop being lazy". Some people just DO NOT possess the intellect or aptitude to evolve into the tech-/knowledge-based economy.

Every job has a meaning and a purpose, and every job should pay a living wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh