Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2023, 04:47 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Yes, the Strip has become a place of half-baked ideas with no unified vision of how it should look. Just ran past a brand spanking new office building housing only GNC at the moment. Mostly vacant, oddly, with an empty street-level space. Hope it gets filled at some point. Development started out superbly with the awesome Armstrong Cork redevelopment but ehhh since then.
I feel differently. Dining alfresco on some blocks feels totally different. The alley views are great with all of the lit up oversized windows. It’s a very unique place in Pittsburgh and the developments thus far are positive for the area. The GNC area is still in transition and will mature over time. That area was a dump prior to Oxford’s Three Crossings Development. I love the Strip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 06:10 PM

194 posts, read 85,162 times
Not sure if this is the right place to post not. A big economic win for the Ohio Valley and Pittsburgh exburbs. Weirton, WV is getting a new 760 million dollar battery plant that will create 750 jobs. A hop skip and jump from Robinson Twp. and Pittsburgh.

https://www.wvpublic.org/economy/202...rton?_amp=true

Old 01-04-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I feel differently. Dining alfresco on some blocks feels totally different. The alley views are great with all of the lit up oversized windows. It’s a very unique place in Pittsburgh and the developments thus far are positive for the area. The GNC area is still in transition and will mature over time. That area was a dump prior to Oxford’s Three Crossings Development. I love the Strip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerman9192 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post not. A big economic win for the Ohio Valley and Pittsburgh exburbs. Weirton, WV is getting a new 760 million dollar battery plant that will create 750 jobs. A hop skip and jump from Robinson Twp. and Pittsburgh.

https://www.wvpublic.org/economy/202...rton?_amp=true
This is Pennsylvania. There is a West Virginia forum and the link has been posted there. I’m not sure if this development will have any impact on Greater Pittsburgh.

Old 01-05-2023, 06:09 AM

1,170 posts, read 535,160 times
Quote:
The Strip District townhomes turned out better than expected. They appear to be selling. Somebody feels differently regarding “out of place” not to mention there was nothing there to clash with anyway. It doesn’t look out of place in a location that was considered a no man’s land since my earliest memories around 1979. I was 4.
probably sums up why i decided not to do anything with my architecture degree - any development today is considered good - there are no aesthetic standards now, just building codes

there hasn't been a great building built in pittsburgh since the convention center twenty years ago - and that was designed by an architect from Uruguay

Old 01-05-2023, 06:20 AM

wake me up when someone decides to build something on the most famous vacant (parking) lot in downtown pittsburgh

maybe first national bank will build their headquarters there - surely they understand how important it is for the city have an important building fill that void

Old 01-05-2023, 07:29 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
the strip district "brownstones" development sucks - just ridiculously out of place.
I don't agree with you on a lot of things, but I do agree that townhouses are not a typology befitting the Strip District - too low density of a use given what the neighborhood is turning into.

That said, there were particular reasons why they chose to go with townhouses there. The parcel was extremely narrow since it was hemmed in by the public right of way in the front, and the Terminal Building's parking lot in the rear. I'm not sure it would have been feasible to do a set of skinny apartment buildings there - at least if you were required to also have an integral parking garage.

That said, the "brownstones" (the name makes me want to hurl...so idiotic...they're brick, and mostly not brown) sold very well, which is why other developers are now aping them.

Old 01-05-2023, 07:33 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
probably sums up why i decided not to do anything with my architecture degree - any development today is considered good - there are no aesthetic standards now, just building codes

there hasn't been a great building built in pittsburgh since the convention center twenty years ago - and that was designed by an architect from Uruguay
Interesting comment. Actually, I will now hold your opinions in higher regard, given your education.

And you are so correct.

Old 01-05-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
too low density of a use given what the neighborhood is turning into.

the Terminal Building's parking lot in the rear.
the Terminal Building's parking lot greatly contributes to the density of the neighborhood - it was desperately needed because there is not a brand new multi-story parking structure directly across the street

https://goo.gl/maps/o8jbx7ebN3JpZ2oMA

and there are no massive empty lots used for parking in the vicinity

https://goo.gl/maps/G5oTgaSTK9bJkqMk7

https://goo.gl/maps/JxbCCMdrjMeDSduu8

Old 01-05-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Not true

Three PNC

The Tower @ PNC Plaza

Many adaptive reuse projects…Bakery Square, Heinz Lofts, Highline….

Baumhaus

Gates and Hillman CMU

Eastside Bond

Just off the top of my head

Old 01-05-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Not true

Three PNC

The Tower @ PNC Plaza

Many adaptive reuse projects…Bakery Square, Heinz Lofts, Highline….

Baumhaus

Gates and Hillman CMU

Eastside Bond

Just off the top of my head
don't forget the architectural masterpiece known as liberty east

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh