Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 09:33 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 26,098,861 times

Advertisements

I was thinking I was top dog, but I now realize, SCR is pretty damn popular.

SCR
31,295 posts, read 69,889,196 times

gg
20,843 posts, read 20,074,109 times

eschaton
13,119 posts, read 13,228,802 times

The rest? Well probably doesn't matter.

Please feel free to add you or someone you like as it would be interesting to see who really is the top poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 06:29 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,216,472 times
I think it's interesting, rather than to look at sheer numbers, to study reputation earned in comparison to the number of posts.

For example, gg, you get .63 points per post, eschaton gets .84 points per post and Villageidiot1 gets 1.21 points per post.

(Not quite a random sampling. I took two members you cited, and then went looking for somebody with a ratio greater than 1 to 1. Villageidiot1 was the first one I came across. There may be others.)

Some other prolific posters don't compare so well.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I think it's interesting, rather than to look at sheer numbers, to study reputation earned in comparison to the number of posts.

For example, gg, you get .63 points per post, eschaton gets .84 points per post and Villageidiot1 gets 1.21 points per post.

(Not quite a random sampling. I took two members you cited, and then went looking for somebody with a ratio greater than 1 to 1. Villageidiot1 was the first one I came across. There may be others.)

Some other prolific posters don't compare so well.
The ratio would be distorted because you can only get reputation points from a member once. villageidiot1 would have a better ratio with less posts. Clearly I would have people trying to give me points on all my posts, but they can't.

I obviously was just joking around, but SCR does have a lot of points.

Ah well, the ol' forum is not doing all that great, but let's face it. We are in COVID times, people are shut in for a lot of the day and then there is this stupid election that people are all worked up over. I certainly can't get too excited over that. Then you have football cancelling, hockey sucked for the Penguins this season, the Pirates don't exist and downtown looks very depressing. Crime is rising as all I see on the news are shootings after shootings. Police are being attacked by the crazy far left nutcases, oh and did I mention the election silliness with the media machine? Not Trump has COVID alone with what the media wants us to think every single republican has it now.

Yep, very odd times, but the media is really something. The morning show on CBS was airing Trump supporters in West Virginia discuss Trump's COVID. Sounds like a fair thing to do for that leftist outlet.

Have a wonderful Sunday! Looks like rain.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:04 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,216,472 times
Quote:
The ratio would be distorted because you can only get reputation points from a member once.

Actually, it's something like "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to (whomever) again." From that, I'd guess that making 'reputation worthy' comments more frequently would skew the numbers against one.

Quote:
Clearly I would have people trying to give me points on all my posts, but they can't.

Yes. Clearly. <cough, cough>

And actually, the numbers don't account at all for where on C-D the member is making posts anyway. Somebody could have thousands of posts in the Garden Forum, and get multiple reps for each one, but be totally off base in every opinion they've ever expressed about Pittsburgh.

Sometimes it's just fun to ponder meaningless statistics. Thanks for the diversion. (As momentary as it was...)

Old 10-04-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Actually, it's something like "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to (whomever) again." From that, I'd guess that making 'reputation worthy' comments more frequently would skew the numbers against one.

Yes. Clearly. <cough, cough>

And actually, the numbers don't account at all for where on C-D the member is making posts anyway. Somebody could have thousands of posts in the Garden Forum, and get multiple reps for each one, but be totally off base in every opinion they've ever expressed about Pittsburgh.

Sometimes it's just fun to ponder meaningless statistics. Thanks for the diversion. (As momentary as it was...)
Hmm, the Garden Forum. I might need to go over there and start some political stuff and a few vent posts while I am gently having a drink.

I float around quite a bit to vent my anger with meaningless posts into the wind.

Anyway, I do wish everyone well. I should take a break from the Internet until the election is over, but I don't want to disappoint my fans.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:13 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,057,113 times
I like to look at posts per day to get a feel for how much a given social media channel is used. For example, gg = 20855 posts over 134 months (4076 days) gives 5.116 posts per day, every day, for over 11 years. No where near typical texting usage (10 to 50 per day) but its interesting to note how much more we are "communicating" today than we were 20 years ago prior to the explosion in social media channels and cell phones.

The thing that interests me about social media like this forum and others - is that it is communications that is very optional. Unlike 20 years ago where we phoned our friends and family to set up dinners, dates, drinks at the bar, back yard ball games, etc. - things that required significant time, energy, and direct human contact. Today's social media is filling a different void in our lives and to some extent - replacing quality communications that we had in the past.

It is impacting how we feel about ourselves and how we feel about others. We're forming opinions based on our interpretations of posts that lack the quality of previous communications (directly with family and friends.) It is also interesting to note that social media channels of all forms, even this one, will continue to be "hacked" for political advantage, market advantage, or whatever. Might be time for some gun control.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I like to look at posts per day to get a feel for how much a given social media channel is used. For example, gg = 20855 posts over 134 months (4076 days) gives 5.116 posts per day, every day, for over 11 years. No where near typical texting usage (10 to 50 per day) but its interesting to note how much more we are "communicating" today than we were 20 years ago prior to the explosion in social media channels and cell phones.

The thing that interests me about social media like this forum and others - is that it is communications that is very optional. Unlike 20 years ago where we phoned our friends and family to set up dinners, dates, drinks at the bar, back yard ball games, etc. - things that required significant time, energy, and direct human contact. Today's social media is filling a different void in our lives and to some extent - replacing quality communications that we had in the past.

It is impacting how we feel about ourselves and how we feel about others. We're forming opinions based on our interpretations of posts that lack the quality of previous communications (directly with family and friends.) It is also interesting to note that social media channels of all forms, even this one, will continue to be "hacked" for political advantage, market advantage, or whatever. Might be time for some gun control.
Couldn’t agree more. My interaction with others prior to the internet was a million times better. After COVID I hope to move away from the internet and get into real life again. This is sort of fun but nothing like real interaction.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:06 PM

32,629 posts, read 77,832,718 times
Proud (prahd?) blowhard here!

Meh. I've been active on this forum since I was a teenager. I used to really enjoy posting photo tours and spending hours compiling information and interpreting it.

Now? We still have a good dozen or so regulars on here, but this forum isn't nearly as busy as it once was. It has waned with the growing popularity of social media. The quality of each of my posts has deteriorated accordingly, hence my awful post-to-reputation ratio.

Even Yac is gone!

Old 10-04-2020, 09:24 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,421,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Proud (prahd?) blowhard here!

Meh. I've been active on this forum since I was a teenager. I used to really enjoy posting photo tours and spending hours compiling information and interpreting it.

Now? We still have a good dozen or so regulars on here, but this forum isn't nearly as busy as it once was. It has waned with the growing popularity of social media. The quality of each of my posts has deteriorated accordingly, hence my awful post-to-reputation ratio.

Even Yac is gone!
You have been here since 2006, did you have to mail your posts back then.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:32 AM

32,629 posts, read 77,832,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
You have been here since 2006, did you have to mail your posts back then.
HA! Carrier pigeons to Yac over in Poland, of course!

I've had at least four or five screennames over the past 14+ years, and I've lived in three different metro areas during that timeframe as well. When I first joined I pre-dated Google Street View, so I frequently used my digital camera (remember those?) and snapped numerous photos of various towns and posted them on here as "photo tours" to help others make better-informed relocation decisions.

Now with this forum having covered just about any and every topic over the years, and with social media and Google Street View available, this forum seems less "semi-essential" than it used to be and has become more like a chatroom.

My curiosity has always been piqued by the fact that my first "friend" on here was a member named MoMark (who was named Mark and lived in Southwest Missouri). He passed away and is now an "Eternal Member" memorialized on here. In 2020? I'm engaged to a man named Mark from Southwest Missouri. Cool coincidence for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh