Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2021, 06:59 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Single family home construction in the entire area has been at record lows for the last five years. This is likely fueling the insane prices for existing construction in desirable areas around the region.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisbrie...549892/photo/1
And for the largest 50 US metros Pittsburgh is dead last for new single family housing construction below Buffalo, Cleveland and Detroit. Even Hartford is a shade better.

The lack of new home construction is inflating the regional housing prices and resulting in housing bubbles.

Decent housing in desirable neighborhoods is through the roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 08:33 PM

One of the least popular states during Covid 19.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ban...-pandemic/amp/

Old 03-06-2021, 08:40 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
One of the least popular states during Covid 19.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ban...-pandemic/amp/
No surprises, although I do recall talk here saying that people weren’t leaving California for Texas

WV and PA at 44 and 47. Yikes.

Florida is booming. Gotta love DeSantis.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
No surprises, although I do recall talk here saying that people weren’t leaving California for Texas

WV and PA at 44 and 47. Yikes.

Florida is booming. Gotta love DeSantis.
I’m not impressed with DeSantis. Governors that did the best job were Andy Brashear, Larry Hogan, Ray Cooper and Mike DeWine.

Texas and Florida are booming in population but their leadership leaves a lot to be desired. Regardless their economies are booming. I actually really like Texas, Florida not so much. But hey it is what it is.

PA has been in trouble for years now. Long before Wolf was governor and even before Peduto was mayor. I’m not a fan of either and they certainly haven’t helped that much. Regardless, I didn’t like what I saw when I drove around. I always knew the economy here was fragile, but even the desireable areas are starting to look a little shoddy. Pittsburgh got through the Great Recession relatively unscathed compared to other places. But when the recovery came back those that lost a lot gained it all and then some back. Especially the growing cities. Pittsburgh is too reliant on a central business district containing all the jobs. Pretty bad in the age of social distancing. Also the lower wages and most of the eggs in the Ed’s and meds basket. Too many longstanding legacy problems that made the damage from the pandemic unavoidable. Plus the old working population, which is who was hit very hard with the pandemic.

I don’t know what the population and official census will be, but I am expecting terrible after driving around. It’s not looking good.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:08 AM

Lol. Florida has been booming. It’s just booming more. You should visit sometime. Love DeSantis...and along with Texas booming, good food them with this. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-border-crisis

Last edited by erieguy; 03-07-2021 at 11:27 AM..

Old 03-10-2021, 08:21 PM

408 posts, read 231,217 times
Quote:
Lol. Florida has been booming. It’s just booming more. You should visit sometime. Love DeSantis...and along with Texas booming, good food them with this. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-border-crisis
Cut out the Tourism industry in Florida and the economy will fall flat on it’s face. If it wasn’t for Walt Disney World and Universal, the state would be forced to have a state tax and raise local taxes even more. The tourism industry alone brings in over 40 billon dollars a year (pre COVID) which is the major reason for the economy in the state.

Pittsburgh has legs because of the investment they did in education, medical, and finance. Tech alone accounts for over 17 billon dollars a year into the Pitt economy. That does not count Health care or the finance industry. Plus those industries also have blue collar jobs but it isn’t what it used to be back in the “old” days. The future economy of Pittsburgh is not using your back anymore, it’s using your mind. Pittsburgh economy will be just fine.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
Cut out the Tourism industry in Florida and the economy will fall flat on it’s face. If it wasn’t for Walt Disney World and Universal, the state would be forced to have a state tax and raise local taxes even more. The tourism industry alone brings in over 40 billon dollars a year (pre COVID) which is the major reason for the economy in the state.

Pittsburgh has legs because of the investment they did in education, medical, and finance. Tech alone accounts for over 17 billon dollars a year into the Pitt economy. That does not count Health care or the finance industry. Plus those industries also have blue collar jobs but it isn’t what it used to be back in the “old” days. The future economy of Pittsburgh is not using your back anymore, it’s using your mind. Pittsburgh economy will be just fine.
Lol. I always love “ifs and buts” excuses, especially to fit a narrative where there’s no reality of it happening.

Pittsburgh has very short legs. Its been losing population for decades, the shut it down folks have put a huge strain on an economy that wasn’t robust to begin with, it lacks desirability, especially in regards to attracting people to the area, etc..., and it’s in a state that ranks 44/50. It’ll be just fine if one’s standards are low and they don’t expect much.

Last edited by erieguy; 03-10-2021 at 08:45 PM..

Old 03-10-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Lol. I always love “ifs and buts” excuses, especially when there’s no reality of it happening.
And I always love posts made by individuals with little to no substance and wild claims. I mentioned this because you keep going about “booming” economies. Florida is a one pony show. Just like how too many blue collar workers depended on coal and steel to be around forever.

Quote:
Pittsburgh has very short legs. Its been losing population for decades, the shut it down folks have put a huge strain on an economy that wasn’t robust to begin with, it lacks desirability, especially in regards to attracting people to the area, etc..., and it’s in a state that ranks 44/50. It’ll be just fine if one’s standards are low and they don’t expect much.
Standards are low? We’re you not just praising Florida : Sorry to say this but you need to do a bit more research.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
And I always love posts made by individuals with little to no substance and wild claims with nothing backing that up. I mentioned this because you keep going about “booming” economies. Florida is a one pony show. Just like how too many blue collar workers depended on coal and steel to be around forever.

Standards are low? We’re you not just praising Florida : Sorry to say this but you need to do a bit more research.
You obviously don’t know much about Florida’s economy, and it’s hilarious that you think it’s going to change. Are the beaches, car racing and motorcycle venues, deep sea fishing, Disneyland, boating, etc..., going to disappear?

The declining population number, lack of a large amount of quality jobs, lousy economy, lack of people moving to the area, prove what I’ve said. If you’re happy with those numbers that’s great, but homering an area doesn’t make it better.

Don’t have to do research. The numbers speak for themselves. Florida has picked up over 200,000 residents in the last year, while Pennsylvania has lost 15,000+.
https://www.bankrate.com/real-estate...-pandemic/amp/

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...nkings/economy

And let’s not forget that Wolf caused the 2nd most businesses in the country to go out of business.

Last edited by erieguy; 03-10-2021 at 09:08 PM..

Old 03-10-2021, 09:17 PM

I did not say it was going to change. Please don’t put words in my mouth. You should look at the economic data and see where boating and car racing land and how much money it brings into the state as a whole. Losing residents in Pittsburgh has been small over the past 10 years and has stabilized with expectations of growth. Many factors go into that, especially age and type of workforce and the huge generation gap that is present in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh has a good foundation to stand on. Pittsburgh has some of the best schools (and one of them is on the top 10 best engineering schools in the country), has world class medical, Fortune 500 finance companies, and tech. All you keep spouting about is how population trends are going down (and so you’re aware over the past 10 years it’s been under 0.5% each year). Pittsburgh did not lose 15,000.

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/2...rgh/population

On a different note, the cultural and arts in Pittsburgh is even world class. The operas and symphonies that are here you usually have to go to Broadway to experience. I usually try not to be one sided on discussions like this but the level of ignorance on your part is outstanding.

Last edited by Higherho; 03-10-2021 at 09:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh