Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 09:44 AM

41,015 posts, read 18,351,752 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh’s biggest draw is because cheap. Until quality jobs are plentiful it will stay on the same path if a declining population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 10:00 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,743,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Do you still use natural gas, or are you using coal and/or electric?
Coal I believe. Tried the solar/wind generated for years but it's still way overpriced. The "feel good" aspect of it is exploited. I do my part other ways to save the earth.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Coal I believe. Tried the solar/wind generated for years but it's still way overpriced. The "feel good" aspect of it is exploited. I do my part other ways to save the earth.
So you’re running coal instead of natural gas?

Why not convert everything over to electric without solar/wind?

Old 02-12-2021, 11:02 AM

6,788 posts, read 9,645,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Another fact that is greatly exaggerated is the amount of tech jobs in the area. Less than 2 percent of the regional jobs are considered tech. I am willing to bet a decent chunk is still somehow related to the manufacturing that is left along with the development and programming of the gas plant. There is one area of the city benefitting from this and that’s it.

That's exactly my point. There is one area in this region (Pittsburgh's East End and a few nearby areas) that has been doing mostly well for the past 20 years. I'm suggesting that instead of blaming the people who are doing well for not magically solving other peoples' problem, we maybe look at those people, see what they are doing, and do more of it.

Quote:
Our economy relies on younger people attending college here and our many hospitals to fill their beds with sick people. How is that a sustainable long term economic model? Having the most hospitals and hospital beds is not positive press to an outsider either. The birth rate has slowed, immigration has slowed. I see colleges cutting and not expanding. Other than Pitt and CMU and CCAC I’m not sure how the others survive.

I don't think you understand what Pitt and CMU actually do. They are R1 universities and not primarily undergraduate institutions. Educating young people isn't what most people who work at Pitt or CMU do. They are both world-class research institutions drawing in hundreds of millions of dollars in funding for conducting that research. Plenty of the people working in the hospitals are also doing research. It turns out that having world-class medical research is indeed positive press to most.

Quote:
And what you state about spin-off is not reflected in the job numbers and hasn’t been for many years now. Until this city diversifies its economy and works for everybody it will be the same old story over and over.

The spin-off jobs are clearly there. The manufacturing sector has collapsed and overall jobs have been more or less stable. That's the eds and meds keeping the collapse of other fields from destroying the region.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:56 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,703,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That's exactly my point. There is one area in this region (Pittsburgh's East End and a few nearby areas) that has been doing mostly well for the past 20 years. I'm suggesting that instead of blaming the people who are doing well for not magically solving other peoples' problem, we maybe look at those people, see what they are doing, and do more of it.

I don't think you understand what Pitt and CMU actually do. They are R1 universities and not primarily undergraduate institutions. Educating young people isn't what most people who work at Pitt or CMU do. They are both world-class research institutions drawing in hundreds of millions of dollars in funding for conducting that research. Plenty of the people working in the hospitals are also doing research. It turns out that having world-class medical research is indeed positive press to most.

The spin-off jobs are clearly there. The manufacturing sector has collapsed and overall jobs have been more or less stable. That's the eds and meds keeping the collapse of other fields from destroying the region.
Lol nobody is blaming anybody for the east end. I’m talking about the region dying out for the last 80 years and the only thing that help slow population decline in the city and the region was the gas drilling. The east end has always been the innovative area of the city/region. It’s a tiny pimple on the huge rear of a region needing an economic shot in the arm. Being against business because 1 tiny neighborhood containing one tenth of one thousandth of the population says we should is not a sustainable economic model.

Being the most educated city means dittly squat if most of those educated people cannot find jobs in their field.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean? So you are saying Pitt is for research first and then eduction second? If that’s the case the shouldn’t be getting any state tax dollars.

Show me the spin-off jobs. Provide links with data. Nearly every sector has been in decline pre pandemic. Plus 80 years of population decline before the gas industry slowed that trend.

I’m not against trying to get more technology jobs. The region needs to diversify its economy if it wants to be relevant the rest of the way. Bowing down to the wishes and demands of less than 2 percent of the regional workforce because they think they know better is no way to operate.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckms View Post
What do you want to happen? Pittsburgh, isn't a city with contiguous suburbs exclusively like most other metros. Core growth would have to be significant to marginally change the fortunes of the mon valley, let alone Uniontown and even more remote towns.
I’d rather see it diversify and grow. It needs to decide whether it going to be the entire metro, the city and county or just the city itself. Keep going the way it is and you will just continue see things shrink and fall apart. It’s not on the right path.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:38 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,089,701 times
Quote:
I’d rather see it diversify and grow. It needs to decide whether it going to be the entire metro, the city and county or just the city itself. Keep going the way it is and you will just continue see things shrink and fall apart. It’s not on the right path.
arent you happily in weirton? if you are so emotionally invested in pittsburgh, why not move here and share in the wage tax?

Old 02-12-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
arent you happily in weirton? if you are so emotionally invested in pittsburgh, why not move here and share in the wage tax?
Pittsburgh’s air is getting cleaner faster.

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...s/202102120132

Old 02-12-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Can’t afford it. It’s why he’s in Weirton.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:31 PM

45,703 posts, read 61,117,345 times
The jobs from fracking were never supposed to be in drilling but the follow on of well maintenance and associated jobs.

The problem is that some of you geniuses up there decided the job training would be for drilling and not maintenance so you trained people for jobs that were going to go away. Just the same bull**** y'all pulled for the last forty years-train people for jobs that don't now and never will exist in the area and ignore the ones that will.

And whoever said it is right, the residuals from gas are good although those from coal are better. The family enjoys cashing the checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh