Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 11:36 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I saw this Post-Gazette article today, which focuses on Michael Lamb's support for Wilkinsburg's annexation. However, it buries significantly the bigger story. A breakdown.

1. The Wilkinsburg Community Development Corporation has been collecting signatures for an annexation referendum. It has collected the required number of signatures, and will soon submit them to be approved by a judge.

2. Pittsburgh City Council has to okay the annexation referendum. Reading between the lines, this seems likely to happen. Both Peduto and Gainey seem to be neutral on the matter, saying it's up to the residents of Wilkinsburg to decide. I would presume that means they would prefer it go to a referendum, rather than veto the process before it gets that far.

3. If Pittsburgh City Council approves, then it goes to the voters of Wilkinsburg as soon as this November.

All things considered, I would bet against Wilkinsburg voting in favor of annexation. Voting for the loss of political autonomy is something which rarely happens in local government, even when it's manifestly a good deal for the annexed area, as it is in this case. Added to this, there are the racial dynamics, that Wilkinsburg has a mostly black electorate, and Pittsburgh a mostly white one. Wilkinsburg residents have balked at the idea of giving up "our town" in the past. However, with Gainey soon to become mayor, there may be an opening here. Most notably however, the 2021 fall elections are likely to be a notably low turnout affair, and it is unclear to me what sort of electorate might turn up to vote in an annexation referendum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 11:50 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Wilkinsburg is all over the place with no direction in sight. And to make matters worse (or better?) this home here on the market has been sucked dry of any character by a flipper looking to make a killing. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M43995-23638

Old 07-12-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Wilkinsburg is all over the place with no direction in sight. And to make matters worse (or better?) this home here on the market has been sucked dry of any character by a flipper looking to make a killing. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M43995-23638
That's a bit of a random non sequitur.

Not a fan of the work done on that house, but at least a few original details remain. It has original woodwork still (albeit painted) including the entry stairwell and fireplaces.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:26 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
I don't know if the political autonomy of Wilkinsburg as a separate borough is actually doing it any favors. It has been in decline for so long. However, lately there has been some progress made in revitalizing parts of the downtown. The old train depot was recently restored, for one thing. Hopefully, this revitalization would continue as it merged with the city. One argument in favor of annexation is lowering taxes. I assume property taxes would be much lower as a city neighborhood..

Old 07-12-2021, 12:29 PM

408 posts, read 231,217 times
I read the article this morning and I’m glad he points out the benefits for the city (Especially in the sense of how much federal dollars come to an area based on population). I think the citizens of Wilkinsburgh want a change and they are already seeing some of the good of city resources (like PPS offerings and the Fire services). The WCDC has a website outlining all the pros out and some cons. Long term, WCDC stated the borough cannot survive or they would have to increase property taxes a lot more (Which is not sustainable). As for collecting signatures, I think they reached over 1500? Granted they only needed like 620.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I don't know if the political autonomy of Wilkinsburg as a separate borough is actually doing it any favors. It has been in decline for so long. However, lately there has been some progress made in revitalizing parts of the downtown. The old train depot was recently restored, for one thing. Hopefully, this revitalization would continue as it merged with the city. One argument in favor of annexation is lowering taxes. I assume property taxes would be much lower as a city neighborhood..
The article notes that income taxes would rise by 0.5%, but property taxes would drop by around 30%.

I would think the average homeowner would make out better under this - though of course a lot of Wilkinsburg residents are not homeowners. Although I would expect that there would be a very quick jump in property values of the gentrified/semi-gentrified portions of Western Wilkinsburg (Regent Square, Whitney Park, Kelly West Greater Park Place, Hamnet Place, etc.).

It would be a big game changer for investment in Wilkinsburg's commercial properties however. There's absolutely no reason for any non-exempt organization to invest in fixing them up at the moment due to the high mill rate.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:41 PM

408 posts, read 231,217 times
Renters would benefit as they would have more options / programs available to them for lower income housing. They list other benefits as well. Outside of property owners for houses, taxes on businesses is higher as well compared to the city. I feel it’s a win, win. This get’s the city above 310 easily. The population lose for 2020 for the city appears to be 2% decline, while 6% lower than the previous decade (which is progress) at least this will prevent them going below 300k.

https://wilkinsburgmerger.org/learn/renters/

Old 07-12-2021, 01:35 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
wouldn't pittsburgh residents have to vote in favor as well? who says that will happen?

Old 07-12-2021, 01:55 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
wouldn't pittsburgh residents have to vote in favor as well? who says that will happen?
Why would Pittsburgh residents get a vote? In theory both councils could probably just agree. I doubt there would be anything that a Pittsburgh resident could bring up that would affect the decision of the council if it went to court. Maybe if it caused a violation of some debt covenant, but that’s about it.

Old 07-12-2021, 02:02 PM

45,325 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Why would Pittsburgh residents get a vote? In theory both councils could probably just agree. I doubt there would be anything that a Pittsburgh resident could bring up that would affect the decision of the council if it went to court. Maybe if it caused a violation of some debt covenant, but that’s about it.
The annexer has to assume the outstanding debt of the annexed territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh