Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2021, 08:58 PM

408 posts, read 232,095 times

Advertisements

Not sure how many people have watched this yet. So far I like the movie and it is nice to see it filmed in our area

https://decider.com/2021/08/20/sweet...x-jason-momoa/

Last edited by Higherho; 08-21-2021 at 09:17 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 05:41 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
I watched it.. a few minor geography errors (the FBI building is east of South Side Works in real life for example), but overall pretty good. Always cool to see places you've seen in daily life depicted in a film.
The story was ok - the plot twist was unexpected though!

Old 08-24-2021, 02:12 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
They lived in the Hill District

She jumped from PNC Park into the river....impossible

Old 08-24-2021, 02:43 PM

611 posts, read 365,493 times
It's a movie. Real life geography doesn't exist.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:30 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
terrible movie. I'll watch movies made here just because but this one was really bad.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:17 AM

807 posts, read 617,512 times
If you'll forgive me for expanding the topic slightly (and with the knowledge that movies are "pretend"), here are some "crimes of geography" committed by films made in the area:

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower, while not a sci-fi film, apparently posits that there is a fourth dimensional portal in the Fort Pitt Tunnel, as the end shows a truck going outbound into the downtown side of the tunnel, and then emerging inbound from the downtown end of the tunnel.

2. Mostly forgotten mid-1990s classic, Kingpin, used a farm that is located 6 miles outside of Ellwood City for Randy Quaid's "Amish" farm.

3. And perhaps the biggest "goof," The Deerhunter, shows Western Pennsylvania steelworkers hunting for "mule" deer, which are only located in the Western United States (of course, you can quickly find online that those hunting scenes were filmed in Washington state).

Old 08-25-2021, 07:19 AM

611 posts, read 365,493 times
Why is your second one a crime of geography? Why is it bad that they used a farm near Ellwood City?

Old 08-25-2021, 07:31 AM

807 posts, read 617,512 times
You know, I also questioned that one as well. Although I just love to point that out, as I pass it every time I drive up to see my family. Arguably, it could fall under that designation because the scene was not filmed in the "principal" Eastern Pennsylvania/Lancaster County Amish community, which I think most folks associate with the "Pennsylvania Dutch". Of course, it is not made clear that the movie is parodying the "Lancaster County" Amish -- although to the extent that the most popular film about the Amish community, i.e., Witness, was filmed (I believe) in Eastern Pennsylvania, it would make sense that the implication is that Kingpin was (to some degree) playing with the notion of an Amish community that was featured in Witness. Further, while there are "Mennonites" in Northern Lawrence County, this is technically in Beaver County, so it is not even geographically accurate from standpoint of Western Pennsylvania old order Amish communities.

As an additional aside, my dad's younger co-worker (who had a bit of a reputation as a teller of tales) claimed that he wandered onto the set of Kingpin and smoked a "j" with Woody Harrelson. Could have happened, I guess.

Also to be clear -- I don't think any of this is "bad" -- if any "outrage" is perceived, it is definitely of the "mock" or ironic variety.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:03 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
You know, I also questioned that one as well. Although I just love to point that out, as I pass it every time I drive up to see my family. Arguably, it could fall under that designation because the scene was not filmed in the "principal" Eastern Pennsylvania/Lancaster County Amish community, which I think most folks associate with the "Pennsylvania Dutch". Of course, it is not made clear that the movie is parodying the "Lancaster County" Amish -- although to the extent that the most popular film about the Amish community, i.e., Witness, was filmed (I believe) in Eastern Pennsylvania, it would make sense that the implication is that Kingpin was (to some degree) playing with the notion of an Amish community that was featured in Witness. Further, while there are "Mennonites" in Northern Lawrence County, this is technically in Beaver County, so it is not even geographically accurate from standpoint of Western Pennsylvania old order Amish communities.

As an additional aside, my dad's younger co-worker (who had a bit of a reputation as a teller of tales) claimed that he wandered onto the set of Kingpin and smoked a "j" with Woody Harrelson. Could have happened, I guess.

Also to be clear -- I don't think any of this is "bad" -- if any "outrage" is perceived, it is definitely of the "mock" or ironic variety.
I saw Woody and Randy Quaid perform Jailhouse Rock with Dick Dale at Graffiti when they were here filming Kingpin.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:45 PM

408 posts, read 232,095 times
It’s all good Dooelle34! Great posts !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh