Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 12:09 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,063,408 times

Advertisements

welcome to the City! im sure i speak for others here. hope you find a good situation that works for you.

FYI when you are at Potomac Avenue, that is technically Friendship, not Bloomfield. No big whoop.

I'd suggest trying for Friendship. I would say to keep an open mind and even consider Garfield (Gar, Bloom, and Friendship all sort of mesh together and for walking purposes, is basically one neighborhood). But in Garfield, you will find generally smaller homes, but there is a crop of renovated/rehabbed/new structures here and there.

If that doesn't work out, WOULD you consider a condominium? There may be many to come as the city re-tools its approach to residency. There is another thread where that is discussed (conversion of Downtown buildings to residential), and there MIGHT be some swanky new apartment/condo structures in the works....give our resident genius scribe eschaton a buzz for info on that!

May I ask where you are coming FROM? Because I am a few steps behind you, but really would love the suburbs, actually, if only for more quiet. The East End can be raucous and noisy. The traffic immediately around the Target is ridiculous (who designed that street light system????)

Greenfield - Good homes there might be above the city average, but i would think they are worth it. Yes, there are hills - you get used to them and can take advantage of the exercise they force you to endure. I used to get my bike up McCaslin, up Winterburn, down Bigelow then back around Parade street (hence if my lazy butt can do that....)
So, in lieu of the one place that meets 100% of your criteria, I think G'field is a strong contender - you CAN walk to the Giant Eagle, and to Schenley Park easily (for reasonbly healthy people). coffee shot? i think on Murray, right across from the GE. the pizza place at Greenfield Ave. and Ronald Street seems a friendly meet up place for locals. no shootings, no crime problem at all that im aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 12:25 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,059,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I'd suggest trying for Friendship. I would say to keep an open mind and even consider Garfield (Gar, Bloom, and Friendship all sort of mesh together and for walking purposes, is basically one neighborhood). But in Garfield, you will find generally smaller homes, but there is a crop of renovated/rehabbed/new structures here and there.
I'd actually say that in some ways Garfield is a better option than Bloomfield. It went through a bad period during the white flight era of course, but the average house which is still standing close to Penn is of better quality than what you'd find just across the way in Bloomfield (more likely to be brick, generally bigger, a bit more spread out as you go east, etc.). More of a "neighborhood" vibe as well, given there are lots of older black folks still in the neighborhood.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,012,601 times
Regent Square sits alone, but is cool and a mixed age crowd.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:02 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,059,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Regent Square sits alone, but is cool and a mixed age crowd.
Looked on Realtor, and there's basically nothing on the market right now in Regent Square.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:09 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,607,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Looked on Realtor, and there's basically nothing on the market right now in Regent Square.

My guess is everyone is waiting for the bridge to be replaced because they think they'll get less for it until then.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:45 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,063,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
My guess is everyone is waiting for the bridge to be replaced because they think they'll get less for it until then.
brilliant! i honestly would not have thought of that.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:35 PM

230 posts, read 166,309 times
First off I have to say that from the definitions used here I like the houses in Friendship but not really in what is being defined as Bloomfield. Single family or a twin isn't a big deal but I do like the set back from the street and general style.

Where I'm coming from leads to an odd answer. Currently I'm in a suburb/exburb of Atlanta. Ok the other hand I am recently returned from four years in Seoul. I'd like a sort of intermediate position. An a ability to ignore my car much of the time but use it for some things. A small amount of yard/garden/patio and more space than an Asian apartment but not the 1/3+ acre suburban lots. Previously I had a 1500 square foot craftsman bungelow on a 2-3,000 sq ft lot (pre kids and in Louisiana) and I'd like to get back to a slightly larger version of that.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:41 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,708,728 times
I love Mount Washington and think it's still cool and ungentrified. Has the most interesting trails in the city.

I'd also choose Dormont because of the public transit and lovely older homes and affordability.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:18 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
One thing about Regent Square is you want to be in the city of Pittsburgh. You don't want Wilkinsburg due to incompetence with those taxes and NO return for those taxes. NONE! Morons!

What about this? I don't know the area well. Please advise.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11343887_zpid/

or

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...11344090_zpid/

Again, this area isn't in my wheelhouse, but I do like that little downtown and there. is a hook fish near there.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:25 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
I love Mount Washington and think it's still cool and ungentrified. Has the most interesting trails in the city.
I want to mention something here regarding a trail I was on up there. It ends on Mcardle Street. I was riding my bike down through there and came across three black guys smoking weed or whatever. Two of them were young and looked like they wanted to kill me. I was on a down hill stretch towards them, so I couldn't turn back and my city smarts said ride through with confidence. I wasn't welcome by the two young blacks, but thankfully for me the older one took over and they let me pass. I asked if the trail went through and where did it go because I honestly didn't know where I was. Glad that older dude was there or I might not be here. Yes, it was sketchy and I know the look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh