Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 09:06 AM

10,876 posts, read 4,555,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
I was at the game with my Dad. We got end zone seats at the last minute. It was cold. I'm pretty sure they had to shovel out the stands for the game. I had to keep walking around so my previously frostbitten feet didn't go completely numb.

I don't remember anyone leaving early even though it seemed hopeless at the end. In that play I remember many players trying for the ball. Then it sort of disappeared from my vantage point. Then Franco is running like a bat out of hell and the fans on that end of the field went wild. I didn't really know what happened to the ball until I got home.

It was glorious. And everyone was so happy.

Like Tomlin said this am, he was in section 135 at 8 months old and saw the play - so did 77000 other people in a stadium that seated around 56K ;-)

I was 8 and at home on tv and didnt fully understand at the time the screaming and jumping by the adults.

My stepdad knew franco, well, as in meet and greet eat lunch well.

I texted him at 8am this am (5am his time) and he was awake letting the dog out and we talked for an hour, so that was good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 09:09 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,962,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Yes. Franco never seemed like he aged at all and always seemed healthy, vibrant and full of life. Could be perhaps one of the greatest Pittsburghers, right up there with Fred Rogers, Rachel Carson and others.. a class act, humble, etc. Everything you miss in a football player today.
I would not say greatest considering his unwavering support for Joe Paterno. Joe Paterno supported Sandusky and turned a blind eye to Sandusky's pedophilia. I was upset about that but we all fall short at some point. RIP Franco

Old 12-21-2022, 11:03 AM

1,913 posts, read 740,839 times
Maybe I'm wrong, but my impression is NFL players don't have longevity, especially from that era. He was skilled enough to never get badly injured, but that game is hazardous to your health.

Old 12-21-2022, 12:12 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,103,915 times
Leave it to the troglodytes to somehow find a way to mar this post as always. RIP Franco, you were always a welcome sight on the North Side where you patronized the library and other amenities in your hood. I remember seeing him playing basketball in the courts in West Park. A class act. Still have his autograph from over 30 years ago.

Old 12-21-2022, 03:45 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Well my dad had a perfect EKG two weeks before he dropped dead of a heart attack.

At 57.

I could go on but trust me, people drop dead. And you know — thank God. I’ve seen the long lingering painful cancer deaths and given my druthers, I’ll take dropping dead any day.

And by the way, is it any of our business what he died from? It really isn’t. Even public figures are allowed to have a little privacy sometimes.

Yes right now I think your post is a little shameful.

Last edited by Yac; 12-22-2022 at 07:14 AM..

Old 12-21-2022, 05:57 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Like Tomlin said this am, he was in section 135 at 8 months old and saw the play - so did 77000 other people in a stadium that seated around 56K ;-)

I was 8 and at home on tv and didnt fully understand at the time the screaming and jumping by the adults.

Not only were there 77K who claim they were there, most people in Pgh think they saw the game on TV. Only if you could pull in an Ohio station, the game was not sold out so there was no local telecast.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:21 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peetie39 View Post
The conspiracy theories on multiple things are just tiresome. Bad things happen to good people. Nothing you can control.

I feel bad for Franco and his family, but the guy was old. 72 is old. The median life expectancy of an African American male is 71 years and a white male in this country is 76. Many people pass at this age that’s how it is. Time is short on this earth.

I figure any conspiracy theories that could come from this sub forum are from the older folks not far off from Franco, meaning they are closer to him than age 50. And yes it should hit home for everyone. It seems we need reminded of the life is short to keep everyone grounded.

Honor and remember but don’t lose perspective that life is short and when your times up it’s up.
There’s been many theories to his death as I don’t recall a reason to be given yet.

It’s funny how you assume there’s so many folks older folks on this subforum much less making conspiracy theories. Don’t recall his cause of death being reported, just theories.

Bingo…great reason to leave the workforce early when one has enough money to not have to work again. It’s great to see folks doing anything they want with themselves. Time can pass one by working to usual retirement age and putting in so many hours.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
The conspiracy theories on multiple things are just tiresome. Bad things happen to good people. Nothing you can control.

I feel bad for Franco and his family, but the guy was old. 72 is old. The median life expectancy of an African American male is 71 years and a white male in this country is 76. Many people pass at this age that’s how it is. Time is short on this earth.

I figure any conspiracy theories that could come from this sub forum are from the older folks not far off from Franco, meaning they are closer to him than age 50. And yes it should hit home for everyone. It seems we need reminded of the life is short to keep everyone grounded.

Honor and remember but don’t lose perspective that life is short and when your times up it’s up.

It’s funny how you assume there’s so many folks older folks on this subforum much less making conspiracy theories. Don’t recall his cause of death being reported, just theories.

Bingo…great reason to leave the workforce early when one has enough money to not have to work again. It’s great to see folks doing anything they want with themselves. Time can pass one by working to usual retirement age and putting in so many hours.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:30 PM

10,876 posts, read 4,555,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Not only were there 77K who claim they were there, most people in Pgh think they saw the game on TV. Only if you could pull in an Ohio station, the game was not sold out so there was no local telecast.

unless you had warner 2 tier cable which was based in....wait for it.....CLEVELAND! who here is old enuf to remember THAT

Old 12-21-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Why did you repeat yourself? Did you forget you hit the send button twice at your old age?

The guy who criticizes people leaving the workforce early is now saying it is great to leave the workforce early. Which one is it?

And your last sentence I agree with. You should take your own advice and kick the electronic opioid habit. Time is passing you by.

Franco was a legend and will be missed. I didn’t agree with his stance on Paterno, but he seems to be one of the better people that played the sport. But he was 72 and a former football player. That is like living to 100. The only thing that killed him was old age. It happens and is happening sooner in present day America due to the amount of obesity, drug use, poor overall health and refusal to get young children vaccinated as diseases like polio is making a comeback.

Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.
I simply didn’t delete one in my edit, but I love the assumption of old age, along with the claim of so many old folks here, and yet you continue to participate in posting and fit right in.

Please post where I criticized folks for leaving the workforce early if they have enough money that they’ll never have to work again, and please be specific?

Nah, I have all the time I want, but do keep posting on your screen and working and filling those jobs. With as concerned as you are about so many openings, I certainly hope you’re working at least 2

Interesting assumption. Proof that a former football player living to 72 is like living to 100? What’s the average lifespan of a professional football player compared to non professional football players?

Sad how folks succumb to drug use, don’t take care of themselves and are so obese leading to poor overall health. Folks should certainly take care of themselves, but I do love the vaccine deflection. Funny how my body my choice is ignored when it doesn’t fit the narrative, though I certainly have no issue with a polio or long tested vaccines.

Last edited by erieguy; 12-21-2022 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh