Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 10:13 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Hey look at that, I very much agree with erieguy. Cyclists should absolutely (and do absolutely) have a right to be on the road. Our country should move in the direction of more cyclist inclusion. An "assh0le" cyclist is pretty much only a threat to themself - and rarely a lethal threat to even the frailest of pedestrians. An a-hole driver is a deadly threat to all.

Ftr, I was recently hit by a driver who was not paying careful attention while I was cycling carefully and lawfully. I resent your description of cyclists as mostly "assh0les," h_curtis.
Drivers of vehicles are driving weapons that kill daily. Cyclists don't kill or so rarely it isn't worth mentioning. Cyclists and walkers don't damage roads, create no pollution and stay healthy which is a good thing considering the obesity issues in our country.

Sorry you got hit. I haven't been hit yet, but some close calls. Hope you are okay and it never happens again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 10:30 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,196,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Drivers of vehicles are driving weapons that kill daily. Cyclists don't kill or so rarely it isn't worth mentioning. Cyclists and walkers don't damage roads, create no pollution and stay healthy which is a good thing considering the obesity issues in our country.

Sorry you got hit. I haven't been hit yet, but some close calls. Hope you are okay and it never happens again.
sOOO many automobile crashes. Time to ban cars.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:26 AM

987 posts, read 279,673 times
Better to ban bikes from roads.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:28 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,913 times
The bike lanes have made it so much easier for pedestrians and street crossing.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:23 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Considering Pittsburgh's voters just ousted "Mayor Bike Lane" in favor of "Mayor Let's Have a Study About How to Conduct a Study" I don't think most Pittsburghers care about the well-being of cyclists.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:29 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,196,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Better to ban bikes from roads.
Nah, better to have patience

Old 01-17-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Considering Pittsburgh's voters just ousted "Mayor Bike Lane" in favor of "Mayor Let's Have a Study About How to Conduct a Study" I don't think most Pittsburghers care about the well-being of cyclists.
I agree. I don't think most Pittsburghs care about much other than some odd virtue signaling that always ends up being horrible for the greater good. Shame so many run on emotion and so few run on logic, but that is the sign of the times.

Peduto sounds great about now. Gainey is really a joke. He is in there for 3 more years. Hope Pittsburgh can do better than this.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:15 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
I agree. I don't think most Pittsburghs care about much other than some odd virtue signaling that always ends up being horrible for the greater good. Shame so many run on emotion and so few run on logic, but that is the sign of the times.

Peduto sounds great about now. Gainey is really a joke. He is in there for 3 more years. Hope Pittsburgh can do better than this.
"Mayor Virtue Signal". Thanks. I like that better as a nickname for the current mayor who has done next to nothing despite being in office now for over a year. Still no new police chief after saying he would choose one in December 2022 (it still isn't even posted on the web site of the national search firm in CA that was selected). Still no answer on to how emergency calls for service will be prioritized a year from now when we are down to 750 officers (out of 900 budgeted) with no new ones in the pipeline to replace them. My neighborhood continues to crumble and decline.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
"Mayor Virtue Signal". Thanks. I like that better as a nickname for the current mayor who has done next to nothing despite being in office now for over a year. Still no new police chief after saying he would choose one in December 2022 (it still isn't even posted on the web site of the national search firm in CA that was selected). Still no answer on to how emergency calls for service will be prioritized a year from now when we are down to 750 officers (out of 900 budgeted) with no new ones in the pipeline to replace them. My neighborhood continues to crumble and decline.
I can overlook his poor speaking abilities and style with ease. I want to give him a chance like I would anyone. I even am okay that he hasn't done a single thing for a little over a year. If at the two year mark we are still seeing nothing at all, I hope people in Pittsburgh try and wake up. Sadly, most democrats don't watch local news or know what is going on at all. They probably think everything is great, because they don't know there is a 900 policemen budget and we are headed for 750 soon. Heck they don't even know if there is a PP city police chief or not. If one is appointed someday, they won't know who they are or even if it happened. Sadly, the majority of voters in the city really don't know what is going on. They are too busy drinking a latte at Starbucks and looking for recipes for dinner on YouTube.

I complained a bit with Peduto, but he did accomplish somethings and helped with creating a positive marketing platform for our city to help get younger people back here. Even if the younger people pretend to cycle or walk sometimes, they still like the fact there is some healthy infrastructure if nothing else.

I am still giving Gainey a chance however. I can wait for the two year mark.

Old 01-19-2023, 05:53 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
I can overlook his poor speaking abilities and style with ease. I want to give him a chance like I would anyone. I even am okay that he hasn't done a single thing for a little over a year. If at the two year mark we are still seeing nothing at all, I hope people in Pittsburgh try and wake up. Sadly, most democrats don't watch local news or know what is going on at all. They probably think everything is great, because they don't know there is a 900 policemen budget and we are headed for 750 soon. Heck they don't even know if there is a PP city police chief or not. If one is appointed someday, they won't know who they are or even if it happened. Sadly, the majority of voters in the city really don't know what is going on. They are too busy drinking a latte at Starbucks and looking for recipes for dinner on YouTube.

I complained a bit with Peduto, but he did accomplish somethings and helped with creating a positive marketing platform for our city to help get younger people back here. Even if the younger people pretend to cycle or walk sometimes, they still like the fact there is some healthy infrastructure if nothing else.

I am still giving Gainey a chance however. I can wait for the two year mark.
I didn't realize watching the local news was divided politically. I know younger people are less likely to watch any kind of news, but never heard there was a difference between Republicans and Democrats. Where did you come up with this analysis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh