Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 05:16 PM

194 posts, read 85,910 times

Advertisements

I found this article quite interesting. What are thoughts on this? How long is this older workforce going to be sustainable in Pittsburgh? I just can’t see this being a good thing long term for Pittsburgh. You need younger people and new ideas. Hard to imagine new technology businesses or startups in Pittsburgh wanting to hire 65 year old plus workers. How can these folks relate to somebody who was born in the year 2001 and a freshly minted college grad?

https://www.wesa.fm/economy-business...sburgh-workers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 05:33 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,236,361 times
Doesn’t sound like the younger folks that you’ve said were going to save the country are much interested in working, so gotta count on the older folks and meanie Boomers that didn’t retire due to the ridiculous lockdowns to pull through.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:01 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,134,126 times
Yes but we also have built in young talent.....if local business can afford to tap into it. There are plenty of workers, its not hard to tempt new grads to stick around their college towns but you gotta pay them to stay.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:04 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,236,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yes but we also have built in young talent.....if local business can afford to tap into it. There are plenty of workers, its not hard to tempt new grads to stick around their college towns but you gotta pay them to stay.
Bingo…and to try to attract others that obviously aren’t fleeing to the area. Because cheap only goes so far. Could be worse, WV has to pay folks to try to lure them there. One would think that with the old folks supposedly holding back the young folks from making a living it wouldn’t be needed, but it’s obvious they’re not beating down the door for those jobs.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:03 PM

408 posts, read 232,761 times
The city does have a brain drain problem. Especially from our top universities and If this would reduce even by 20%, it would help the local young worker issue.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:07 AM

194 posts, read 85,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
The city does have a brain drain problem. Especially from our top universities and If this would reduce even by 20%, it would help the local young worker issue.
So is this an issue with pay and growth opportunities? The hiring of the over 60 crowd is just not a sustainable future. I was disappointed to read it. It almost sounds like Pittsburgh can’t attract young folks due to its provincial attitude? Like a siloed in economy or something. I just don’t see that being a positive thing. I mean you pretty much are depending on the elderly working to keep your region going. That is costly with health care I’m sure. And folks could pass literally at any point. A few folks in that article are at or past average life expectancy in the US.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:29 AM

1,913 posts, read 741,861 times
There must be no jobs for the basement bound in WV.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:54 AM

1,913 posts, read 741,861 times
^^^^ That needs it's own thread.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:48 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,777,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerman9192 View Post
So is this an issue with pay and growth opportunities? The hiring of the over 60 crowd is just not a sustainable future. I was disappointed to read it. It almost sounds like Pittsburgh can’t attract young folks due to its provincial attitude? Like a siloed in economy or something. I just don’t see that being a positive thing. I mean you pretty much are depending on the elderly working to keep your region going. That is costly with health care I’m sure. And folks could pass literally at any point. A few folks in that article are at or past average life expectancy in the US.
corporate healthcare isn't based on worker's age in most places, as far as I know, its all the same. usually, working people of all age ranges are much healthier than the non working population, and so it just all gets fed into the insurance actuarial averaging. the insurance companies usually make a ton of money on that too from what I've heard, esp. on corporate life insurance.

Old 03-25-2023, 05:39 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,134,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
corporate healthcare isn't based on worker's age in most places, as far as I know, its all the same. usually, working people of all age ranges are much healthier than the non working population, and so it just all gets fed into the insurance actuarial averaging. the insurance companies usually make a ton of money on that too from what I've heard, esp. on corporate life insurance.
Correct, I work at a larger AE firm and much of my work is mainly working with people at other companies and I've never heard of an aged based health anything nor have I had one offered. But I'm not sure that is the cost meant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh