Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 09:38 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,198,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Pittsburgh has had these for over a decade now. This will be in addition to what is currently in place. The current crew assists visitors and workers as needed throughout downtown. The are also responsible for litter and Market Square seating / upkeep.
Link to this? What’s the job title of those that have been doing this for over a decade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 10:00 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh has had these for over a decade now. This will be in addition to what is currently in place. The current crew assists visitors and workers as needed throughout downtown. The existing crew's main focus is litter and Market Square seating / upkeep.

Yeah, I was surprised that something like that didn't exist already. I think it was an idea that was popularized in downtowns during the 1990s. 5 years ago, the Phillies owner John Middleton foundation's Project Home partnered with the police/city/center city district association to create the homeless outreach squads which is what this new unit in Pittsburgh seems akin to. Let's hope for good results!

Old 03-31-2023, 10:11 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,695,165 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh has had these for over a decade now. This will be in addition to what is currently in place. The current crew assists visitors and workers as needed throughout downtown. The existing crew's main focus is litter and Market Square seating / upkeep.
LOL, no we don't. I'm downtown daily and it's garbage, poop, pee, druggies and homeless everywhere. Not to mention pretty darn quiet. I see no "ambassadors" anywhere in sight. Please.

Old 03-31-2023, 10:48 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
LOL, no we don't. I'm downtown daily and it's garbage, poop, pee, druggies and homeless everywhere. Not to mention pretty darn quiet. I see no "ambassadors" anywhere in sight. Please.
I live in the city and worked in downtown for 16 consecutive years. I know my city very well. I also know that the yellow jacket street cleaners are there for assistance as well as clean up. My former employer is a major sponsor. I am downtown often for work, dining and entertainment. Downtown feels different with the absence of office workers. I have not witnessed poop but have witnessed multiple overdoses prior to the Ed Gainey administration. The drug problem has been brewing since the early 2010s. The addicts are no longer lost among the everyday people. You may need glasses. The uniforms and receptacles are highly visible throughout downtown.

https://downtownpittsburgh.com/about...reach-program/

Old 03-31-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I live in the city and worked in downtown for 16 consecutive years. I know my city very well. I also know that the yellow jacket street cleaners are there for assistance as well as clean up. My former employer is a major sponsor. I am downtown often for work, dining and entertainment. Downtown feels different with the absence of office workers. I have not witnessed poop but have witnessed multiple overdoses prior to the Ed Gainey administration. The drug problem has been brewing since the early 2010s. The addicts are no longer lost among the everyday people. You may need glasses. The uniforms and receptacles are highly visible throughout downtown.

https://downtownpittsburgh.com/about...reach-program/
Obviously accountability needs to be taken with this program as the area continues to get worse that new positions have been created to try to help the situation.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:11 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Correct. The yellow shirt folks primarily were intended to clean garbage and greet/direct tourists, though. They weren't supposed to offer homeless outreach, narcan addicts, act as the eyes and ears for police officers, etc.

Things have obviously deteriorated Downtown since the yellow shirts were launched.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:45 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,695,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Correct. The yellow shirt folks primarily were intended to clean garbage and greet/direct tourists, though. They weren't supposed to offer homeless outreach, narcan addicts, act as the eyes and ears for police officers, etc.

Things have obviously deteriorated Downtown since the yellow shirts were launched.
Oh, you mean the few yellow shirt people I see emptying garbage cans occasionally? I've never seen these people interact with anyone. Ever. I've been in town daily since oh the last 35-40 years. It's the worst I've ever seen in my life. Even in the Liberty Avenue days there wasn't as much druggie/homeless activity. Let's just hope it gets drastically better and fast. Especially for business owners and residents who've spent their life savings to live and work downtown.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Oh, you mean the few yellow shirt people I see emptying garbage cans occasionally? I've never seen these people interact with anyone. Ever. I've been in town daily since oh the last 35-40 years. It's the worst I've ever seen in my life. Even in the Liberty Avenue days there wasn't as much druggie/homeless activity. Let's just hope it gets drastically better and fast. Especially for business owners and residents who've spent their life savings to live and work downtown.
Only everyday for 35-40 years. No no no, you just need glasses.

It’s not going to change anytime soon, but I’m greatly looking forward to hearing about these new workers that are supposedly going to help whip it into shape. Though I didn’t see anything about them being called to police scenes to help whip the criminals into shape which is what Big Ed has been parroting for over a year.

Old 03-31-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Those progressive urbanists are silent because they are finding out that the end result of consistently fewer and fewer police officers, which is what they wanted, along with more lax views on incarceration, which is also what they wanted, are now leading to an increasingly undesirable city for many.

Maybe now that there was a random homicide in Bloomfield and a man banging on doors in Stanton Heights in the middle of the night after being shot in the face some of these activists will quiet down with their disdain towards the police.

They obviously didn't care when stealth defunding of the police (keeping the budget the same on paper but not hiring any new officers to replace those who are leaving) was only affecting "other" neighborhoods like my own. Maybe now that this is beginning to affect wealthier and generally "safer" neighborhoods more people will wake up.
Interesting, as some of us said it was a problem to begin with and going to get worse, while being told that it’s just normal city living, it’s no worse than anywhere else, just suburbanites spouting off and don’t know what they’re talking about because they don’t live in or frequent the city to actually see what’s going on, etc…

hUUUge problem is deflecting from it and defending it while it’s been easy to see by many now that it’s so bad, including businesses, citizens, the police, community “leaders”, Big Ed, etc…, so it’s going to be a lonnng time before anything changes because folks couldn’t see 15 minutes in front of themselves while continuing to vote status quo, dumping shooters and killers back onto the streets, blaming police, and let’s not forget the last vote putting Fetterman and Summer Lee in with the powers that be that are soft on crime political figures. Folks enabled this situation to happen.

Old 03-31-2023, 12:53 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,766 times
Of course we always have that knee-jerk reaction to anything French, but Paris has found a way to deal with the poop and the pee. They`re called Sanisettes and they`re self-cleaning and usually free.

https://europeforvisitors.com/paris/...ic-toilets.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: