Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 10:18 AM

408 posts, read 231,736 times

Advertisements

Link below. What is also interesting is the statement I quoted below as they did look at abanoning the light rail system all together That would have been very sad but to my delight it would not be cost effective for them to do so I always use the light rail. I have a buss stop in front of my house and then I take that to the necessary station.

https://www.unionprogress.com/2023/0...trains-begins/

“ Kelleman said the agency briefly looked at whether it should abandon the light rail service and replace it with bus coverage rather than buying new trains and continuing plans to upgrade many of the stations along the system. But the cost of buying several dozen new buses, hiring new operators and providing garage space to maintain the buses quickly dashed that idea, she said.

“We still have so much invested in the light rail system that it would be hard to walk away from it,” Kelleman said. “The likelihood we could reduce our costs and provide the same kind of service is pretty slim.

“Imagine trying to get to the North Side [for stadium events] with no rail service. It is likely more cost effective to stay with light rail and improve what we have.”

Kelleman said there also is more opportunity for transit-oriented development — housing and commercial shops — around light rail stations. She noted there already are plans under development around stations in Dormont and at South Hills Junction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 02:54 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
Link below. What is also interesting is the statement I quoted below as they did look at abanoning the light rail system all together That would have been very sad but to my delight it would not be cost effective for them to do so I always use the light rail. I have a buss stop in front of my house and then I take that to the necessary station.

https://www.unionprogress.com/2023/0...trains-begins/

beautiful! thanks for the link and the info.

i lived in beechview for a time and thought the light rail was cool, but perhaps a bit....slow.

i had had need to get to knoxville, bon air and carrick over the years and used the Bon Air stop on Blue and found it very convenient for my destinations, which did require some walking, but OK.

i hope the design of the cars is sleek, sexy, and original, if possible.

Old 06-14-2023, 04:50 PM

99 posts, read 110,150 times
Great news. We should be upgrading and expanding our rail network at every chance we can get using Federal funds. PRT should and hopefully will absolutely flood the Transportation department with proposal requests.

Old 06-14-2023, 06:51 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
More rail - yes. Busses no. Actually, wouldn't it be great someday if train travel were quick and dependable? Imagine training from here to Florida or the Midwest?

Old 06-15-2023, 11:06 AM

1,912 posts, read 738,285 times
Lol. What is the current ridership on the T compared to a few years ago? Why are they spending money for non existent commuters?

Old 06-17-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
Lol. What is the current ridership on the T compared to a few years ago? Why are they spending money for non existent commuters?
What do you propose PRT should do with the pot of money that the Federal Government is granting to local transportation agencies nationwide?

Old 06-18-2023, 09:04 AM

1,912 posts, read 738,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty01 View Post
What do you propose PRT should do with the pot of money that the Federal Government is granting to local transportation agencies nationwide?
Devote it to something else until they figure out what to do with a dead downtown.

Old 06-18-2023, 01:03 PM

PRT or the Federal Government?

Old 06-19-2023, 04:47 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,170 times
Quote:
Devote it to something else until they figure out what to do with a dead downtown.
More rail connectivity to downtown will get many more people to come downtown. Most people I know don't like riding the bus or find it too hard/annoying to navigate the bus network.

Old 06-19-2023, 06:52 PM

408 posts, read 231,736 times
Quote:
Dead downtown? Was over 1.5 million visitors a few months ago, I would not call that dead. To answer your own question about the rail, it is answered in my main post. It was not cost effective for them to stop the rail service and build out bus services. Just BRT alone cost 300 million dollars, could you imagine what it would cost to replace the entire rail network? Let alone the amount of traffic it gets to the north shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: