Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2023, 06:47 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,540,417 times

Advertisements

I grew up riding the trains from Pgh to Altoona. Part of my upcoming vacation were be riding the rails. Would gladly like a consistent commute from Pgh to Washington/New York.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 06:17 AM

10,831 posts, read 4,517,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
Great news! I am a huge fan of trains and I know there are more I like the Capital limited and from time to time I take the NYC one so glad more service!

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/n...asQABVIJY-5UDE

the broadway limited? I think only capitol and pennsylvania run at present.

Id love to see them all return pulled by restored F45s

of course if they wanna play heritage games, lots of steel body heavyweights in pa and an E8 and E9..whats left of the juniata shops can tune them up too.

Old 09-29-2023, 12:26 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,815,184 times
Quote:
Nice! The train has better food options and you can get a bed type room as well.

I think if you’re complaining about how long it takes to get somewhere. Then trains are not meant for you (at least American trains). It’s because of how many stops and the type of route, not necessarily speed. At least in America anyways, we don’t have many high speed rails. I spent 50 bucks for a business class seat form HBG to NYC and while it was a few hours, it was a much better experience than driving. Cost of gas, parking, potential of getting in wrecks, stress of driving, etc. Then it makes more sense economically to take a train. Plus, with the routes trains go, you see things you don’t normally see on highways.

That 200 million is also helping commercial business, it isn’t just for passenger trains. As wpipkins2 stated, we’re also getting Amtrak’s new train as well (Airo) which will be a better experience for sure.

https://triblive.com/local/regional/...k-airo-trains/
the schedule was lengthened back in the 80's when conrail ripped out the passenger infrastructure. the time added was 34 minutes. there is nothing wrong with speeding the trip up to make it more attractive. I don't agree that it is a waste to add service and capacity but speed should also be considered. the $200 million addresses some of the shortcomings that arose from conrails actions. this is peanuts compared to the billion dollar route 15 bypass near lewisburg. if we spent a billion on the line you could cut some real time out and add service.

Old 09-29-2023, 02:38 PM

408 posts, read 231,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the schedule was lengthened back in the 80's when conrail ripped out the passenger infrastructure. the time added was 34 minutes. there is nothing wrong with speeding the trip up to make it more attractive. I don't agree that it is a waste to add service and capacity but speed should also be considered. the $200 million addresses some of the shortcomings that arose from conrails actions. this is peanuts compared to the billion dollar route 15 bypass near lewisburg. if we spent a billion on the line you could cut some real time out and add service.
Thank you for the insight, I was not aware of the contrail part. Oh don’t remind me of that route 15 bypass. Went to college up in Williamsport and when I heard of that (when it first was announced), I was like “seriously, put that money towards rail instead plate”.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:33 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Do not hold your breathe waiting for hastened service between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. The topography is the barrier coupled with the frequency of freight usage. Amtrak will improve rails between Harrisburg and Philadelphia allowing for faster trains. There are only a few sections of the Acela line that reaches maximum speed. Amtrak is working on the Bos-Wash corridor as we speak.

Old 09-30-2023, 06:23 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,058 times
Quote:
Nice! The train has better food options and you can get a bed type room as well.

I think if you’re complaining about how long it takes to get somewhere. Then trains are not meant for you (at least American trains). It’s because of how many stops and the type of route, not necessarily speed. At least in America anyways, we don’t have many high speed rails. I spent 50 bucks for a business class seat form HBG to NYC and while it was a few hours, it was a much better experience than driving. Cost of gas, parking, potential of getting in wrecks, stress of driving, etc. Then it makes more sense economically to take a train. Plus, with the routes trains go, you see things you don’t normally see on highways.

That 200 million is also helping commercial business, it isn’t just for passenger trains. As wpipkins2 stated, we’re also getting Amtrak’s new train as well (Airo) which will be a better experience for sure.

https://triblive.com/local/regional/...k-airo-trains/
It`s been a while since I took Amtrak to Chicago and I don`t recall there being sleeping cars. Has that changed?

Old 09-30-2023, 04:42 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
It`s been a while since I took Amtrak to Chicago and I don`t recall there being sleeping cars. Has that changed?
Yes. There are sleeping cars available.

Old 11-05-2023, 10:27 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,830,543 times
The Capitol Limited (to Chicago) has sleeping cars, but it is one of the bumpier overnight rides in my experience.

Sidenote: I do a lot of train travel, and recently had two ~4 hour layovers in Pittsburgh when switching between the Capitol Limited and Pennsylvanian trains. It was great to explore the DT Pittsburgh sights a little, but the Amtrak station itself there is pretty awful! Insult to injury was the fact that the station was annexed onto your very beautiful, very historic Union Station, which, inexplicably (to me at least) is now private property/ condos? How did this happen, Pittsburgh?

Old 11-06-2023, 06:20 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,913 times
I don't know. It was apartments, not condos when I lived there. But that was 20 years ago.

Old 11-07-2023, 06:17 AM

31,899 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
The Capitol Limited (to Chicago) has sleeping cars, but it is one of the bumpier overnight rides in my experience.

Sidenote: I do a lot of train travel, and recently had two ~4 hour layovers in Pittsburgh when switching between the Capitol Limited and Pennsylvanian trains. It was great to explore the DT Pittsburgh sights a little, but the Amtrak station itself there is pretty awful! Insult to injury was the fact that the station was annexed onto your very beautiful, very historic Union Station, which, inexplicably (to me at least) is now private property/ condos? How did this happen, Pittsburgh?
Very long story short Penn-Central was insolvent and looking to raise capital by selling off assets. Pittsburg's Union Station was one such asset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_...senger_service

https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...6320%2C707043M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_C...tation_Company

This happened about same time Penn-Central was planning to develop air rights above Grand Central Terminal. Jackie Kennedy and others still hurting over PRR's tearing down of NYC's Penn Station head house got lawyered up and stopped that from happening.

By early 1970's Penn-Central was a hot mess. Merger of two railroads that once had been at each others throats and major competitors (PRR and New York Central) was not going well. Penn-Central needed cash and like nearly every other RR in USA at that time began shedding assets or doing whatever else to save or bring in money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHmyYqfNYnc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh