Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 01:19 PM

9 posts, read 26,496 times

Advertisements

I've searched through countless topics and found tidbits of information here and there, but I'd really like to get some fresh opinions on the various areas of Mt. Washington. Particularly, I'd like to know about the type of environment (i.e., students, young professionals, families) and, most importantly, the safety of the different areas.

I have been told to avoid the areas of Allentown, Beltzhoover, and Knoxville. Trying to find the boundaries between these communities is very difficult! I found a place that looked good on Bailey Ave (it has a wondeful view), but I'm wondering how that part of town is. I found another decent-looking place on Sycamore St, which I assume is definitely a safer area of town.

Someone told me to stick to the area between Grandview and Virginia. While this makes things more difficult, it would definitely be possible. If someone could whip up a quick MSPaint and Google Maps job, that would be great (but I realize that might be asking too much ). It's just really hard trying to figure out this part of town!

I am looking for a walkable area that is relatively close to the incline. I plan to be moving into a place with two other young professional/college grad types, so the luxury of taking the incline down to the South Side is something we're really looking forward to.

If you can help at all, please do! Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 01:37 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times
When I came back to the burgh, I thought it would be great to live on Mt. Washignton and take the incline down to work. However, IMO, Mt Washington is a neighborhood that does not live up to its potential. I choosed the east end instead. I never understood why a neighborhood with the best views of an amazing skyline isn't nearly as cool as it should be.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:45 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,948 times
My brother, a 25 year old professional, rents a house on W. Sycamore St. with a couple other young professionals. He's in between Kearsarge and Maple Terrace. It's a nice neighborhood, and safe, and a block from Grandview Ave. Everything you would need is within walking distance, just a block or two or three, including the Monongahela Incline. Which takes you right down to Station Square, only a couple blocks from the South Side.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
When I came back to the burgh, I thought it would be great to live on Mt. Washignton and take the incline down to work. However, IMO, Mt Washington is a neighborhood that does not live up to its potential. I choosed the east end instead. I never understood why a neighborhood with the best views of an amazing skyline isn't nearly as cool as it should be.
I agree, it has a ton of potential it does not live up to. Yet, I still think it's a decent neighborhood with quite a bit to offer.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:06 PM

491 posts, read 1,434,005 times
i lived on mt washington, didn't really like it at all. i actually liked the west end more than mt washington, even though its a little rough.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:11 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Grandview and Virginia. While this makes things more difficult, it would definitely be possible.
This was probably me. It's more restrictive than I intended, but basically if you stay near the front of the hill, it's much more convenient to the inclines and the Virginia/Shiloh business district.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Thanks for everyone's input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
My brother, a 25 year old professional, rents a house on W. Sycamore St. with a couple other young professionals. He's in between Kearsarge and Maple Terrace. It's a nice neighborhood, and safe, and a block from Grandview Ave. Everything you would need is within walking distance, just a block or two or three, including the Monongahela Incline. Which takes you right down to Station Square, only a couple blocks from the South Side.
This sounds to be exactly the kind of place I'd like to get into.

Is your brother's place pretty nice? And do you know, approximately, how much his rent is? That is, if you don't mind letting me know.

Also, how practical is it to take the incline and then walk to the South Side? Is it a long walk? By looking at a map, it appears to be about a mile, which would be OK as long as it's not a cold winter night. I'm also curious about the shops in the area between Virginia and Grandview. Is there much there or does one have to down to the South Side for some variety? I think I'll check the area out sometime within the next week, but please let me know what you think till then.

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:07 PM

285 posts, read 862,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
I have friend, also a young professional, who actually lives on the same block. She and a friend rent a very cute 3 bedroom / 1 bathroom house. They pay 750+ utilities.

There really aren't a TON of businesses/shops in Mt. Washington compared to south side / east end neighborhoods, but there are the essentials. Grocery store, pharmacy, gas station, flower shop, subway, chinese place, coffee shop, a few bar / tavern type places, then of course the expensive places on grandview.

When they go out, they usually take the incline to Station Square. The carson st. bars are definitely walkable from Station Square, but if they are going out to the south side, they usually drive, or take a bus from station square.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate88 View Post
I have friend, also a young professional, who actually lives on the same block. She and a friend rent a very cute 3 bedroom / 1 bathroom house. They pay 750+ utilities.

There really aren't a TON of businesses/shops in Mt. Washington compared to south side / east end neighborhoods, but there are the essentials. Grocery store, pharmacy, gas station, flower shop, subway, chinese place, coffee shop, a few bar / tavern type places, then of course the expensive places on grandview.

When they go out, they usually take the incline to Station Square. The carson st. bars are definitely walkable from Station Square, but if they are going out to the south side, they usually drive, or take a bus from station square.
Wow. I wish I could find a nice 3 bedroom apartment for $750/month. Anything I've seen around that price is nowhere near the area I'm trying to stay within...

Old 02-07-2009, 09:58 PM

I'm not sure what my brother's place is, but I would assume it's comparable to what kate88 said, as my brother and his friends don't make a whole lot of money yet, and one is actually still in college, but they seem to be able to afford the place no problem and still have enough money left over to have fun and buy the extras they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh