Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:47 AM

765 posts, read 2,439,996 times

Advertisements

When buying our first home (20 years ago) our realtor said to always buy west in a city, since prevailing winds normally blow west to east, and city planners generally built factories in the east end of cities.

We have always used this theory as to where to start looking, and it worked for us when we moved to DC (purchased in Vienna) and Houston (purchased in Katy). Now when researching Pittsburgh, the advice on these boards seems to be to look east of downtown - Squirrel Hill and Shadyside keep being listed as nice areas.

So, help me out here - is Pittsburgh the exception to this generalization?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:53 AM

283 posts, read 597,329 times
First, there isn't much industry left in Pittsburgh. Second, the industry was on the rivers. It wasn't built like midwest farm towns where they put the cows on the east side of town to blow the smell of methane they produce away. That theory doesn't work for Pittsburgh at all.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
In fact you may even want to buy east considering that most of Pittsburgh's pollution is caused by Midwestern factories pollutants getting caught by the jet stream and placed in the hills surrounding the city.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:28 AM

28 posts, read 82,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
In fact you may even want to buy east considering that most of Pittsburgh's pollution is caused by Midwestern factories pollutants getting caught by the jet stream and placed in the hills surrounding the city.
I've heard a few things about the pollution. If I live around the university area, am I going to get lung cancer?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:33 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
The old adage I heard was live in the East of the city. When driving to work and going home the sun is always behind you.

As to industry, not so much in the 'burg anymore.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:38 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
The old adage I heard was live in the East of the city. When driving to work and going home the sun is always behind you.
Why should that matter since the sun NEVER comes out in Pittsburgh? Or so I'm told.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:49 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicknpotpie View Post
I've heard a few things about the pollution. If I live around the university area, am I going to get lung cancer?
If you smoke cigarettes.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
As to industry, not so much in the 'burg anymore
Sorry should have clarified - and will add to my original question....his point was when cities were first planned the nicer areas were generally NW/W/SW. Industrial areas were generally in the NE/E/SE - so neighborhoods in the East were usually not as nice, cheaper, more dangerous.

Some cities, it's obvious - East LA - Anacostia in SE DC. In Houston, East of downtown is really dangerous, whereas west is the Galleria area, very upscale.

So, my question is, is Pittsburgh an exception to this? From what I've read on these boards, the areas due east of the downtown sound to be the upscale neighborhoods.............anyone?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:12 PM

Actually I should also add - I'm not concerned about pollution.

Last edited by easybay; 02-22-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: posted the same answer twice.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:38 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Going due east of downtown Pittsburgh is pretty much an industrial wasteland. No more Westinghouse or US Steel providing jobs for thousands of people. You might see a little money when you hit Murrysville.

Most of the people with money are in Mt. Lebo, USC, and the greater Sewickley area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh