Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:36 AM

371 posts, read 798,831 times

Advertisements

If all things were equal, it may have been the case, but I rather doubt it.

First, in Pittsburgh industry was located close to the principle means of transportation and raw materials which meant the rivers. These run right through the middle of town. There used to be a fat rendering plant and a refinery on Neville Island, which is to the West of the city and they were two of the smelliest places I had ever experienced.

Second, the choice of where to located factories, etc., was more likely (after the above), determined by the price of real estate, not whether you were upwind or downwind from someplace else.

It may be the case, today, that with modern land use and zoning regulations, the location of potentially noxious plants may be limited, but you aren't seeing too many of these being built in the US, especially in this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
OK, I'm old enough to remember some of this stuff almost first-hand. In my home town of Beaver Falls, the mills were first located on the flat area of land between the Beaver River and the hills. So the desirable places to live were on the hilltops, away somewhat from the smoke and soot. In the case of BF, the hills are to the west of the city. There is however, a large mill, still standing, on some flat land in the College Hill section of town.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:10 PM

Default Mt Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I'm old enough to remember some of this stuff almost first-hand. In my home town of Beaver Falls, the mills were first located on the flat area of land between the Beaver River and the hills. So the desirable places to live were on the hilltops, away somewhat from the smoke and soot. In the case of BF, the hills are to the west of the city. There is however, a large mill, still standing, on some flat land in the College Hill section of town.
And Mt. Washington, which is now one of the most expensive places to live, was once relatively inexpensive because the roads were so steep that you couldn't get up or down them in the wintertime. When I was a kid, Beaver Falls (and Aliquippa and other small towns), actually had thriving downtowns with department stores, restaurants, banks and theatres.

No more, alas.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Yes, I remember downtown Beaver Falls fondly. Aliquippa was the other town in the Beaver Valley with a thriving downtown, as you mentioned. Beaver still has one, but it seems to be mostly restaurants.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:59 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,392 times
Rule of thumb for Pittsburgh...if you want your housing value to appreciate, then move outside the Allegheny County line.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:14 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
Rule of thumb for Pittsburgh...if you want your housing value to appreciate, then move outside the Allegheny County line.

Painting with a broad brush. I can show you sales in Butler county that are tanking, in Treesdale.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Painting with a broad brush. I can show you sales in Butler county that are tanking, in Treesdale.
True. My parents' home in Beaver County didn't appreciate all that much in 40 years. (Not as much as I would have thought, anyway.)

Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
I don't think that it fair to say that only homes outside of Allegheny County are increasing in value. Certainly, property values in some of the poorer areas in Allegheny County are declining or are stagnant. For example, I don't think property in Penn Hills has increased that much in value recently. There are though many upper middle class areas that are increasing in value. Take Pine and Richland for example. And in the city it costs a lot more to live in Shadyside or Regent Square than it did 10 years ago. If you want to make a general statement, I would agree that property values in the better school districts increase at a greater rate than property values in awful school districts regardless of what county they are in.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:27 PM

765 posts, read 2,441,233 times
So, the areas you list - Pine, Richland, Shadyside and Regent have better school districts?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
If you want to make a general statement, I would agree that property values in the better school districts increase at a greater rate than property values in awful school districts regardless of what county they are in.
That is likely because the school boards in these districts serve a more affluent population who can better afford the additional taxes. One of the downsides of Allegheny County is the large number of school districts and the inequities between rich and poor. The state is only required to make up the difference between the revenues raised by property taxes and the mythical $$$$ per pupil which is required. This leaves the richer districts better able to spend in excess of the state mandated expenditure. There has been some adjustment for schools in need, but it is still far from what is equitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh