Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:49 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
there is both good and bad in any city.
Sure, but usually only the good gets displayed. That's only natural, but for people doing research on other areas it is not so useful.

The OP talks about a "full comprehensive collection", yet not one of the photos posted show much blight (And yes I understand this was not intended to be the full collection). But almost every neighborhood has it to some degree, even the good ones. Some are dominated by it.

Pittsburgh blight is perhaps one of the biggest turn offs so I think its important to not hide it to potential residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 09:06 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Excellent pictures! Why didn't you take pictures of abandoned boarded-up houses? Coudn't you have found some broken glass to shoot, or maybe a car up on blocks?

I think some people start accounts only to go on threads to "refute" what other people say, with absolutely nothing worthwhile to add of their own. It probably has to do with getting dumped on at work, or maybe even at home. Gawd, it must suck to be some people. I mean that sincerely, with empathy.

Now, I'm off to the San Francisco photo thread to ask people "Where are the needles?" and "What happened to the feces-encrusted naked hobos?".

Old 03-28-2009, 03:25 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Why didn't you take pictures of abandoned boarded-up houses?
To quote myself "That's only natural, but for people doing research on other areas it is not so useful." I understand why people tend to post pictures of positive things, but for an outsider thinking about moving to the area that does not offer a "comprehensive" view of the city.

My issue here has nothing to do with Pittsburgh in particular, but rather how picture posts end up in general.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
To quote myself "That's only natural, but for people doing research on other areas it is not so useful." I understand why people tend to post pictures of positive things, but for an outsider thinking about moving to the area that does not offer a "comprehensive" view of the city.

My issue here has nothing to do with Pittsburgh in particular, but rather how picture posts end up in general.

Picture posts aren't here to provide a "comprehensive" view of any city. They're here to provide the photographer's view.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Notice how I said very clearly in the first post, "I plan on having a full comprehensive collection of every Pittsburgh neighborhood soon" That is future tense (with bad grammer), but that means I want to gather many more photos of many neighborhoods (good and bad) and was going to post them here(but now I changed my mind). I am in no way just take photos of the good. I did a full photography essay of New ken once and posted them on another board. It was to show the vacancy of the place, and the abandoned factories next to the Allegheny that could be demolished and used for useful purposes.

I drove into Lawerenceville onday off the highland park bridge and saw that empty factory there with cool late evening lighting, and thought, "this would be a great photo", but I had no camera. I want to stop being lazy and try to get those photos too.

I knew trying to post a positive thread about one of the hobbies I enjoy to do would probably end up like this. I am just an amature where I like to take my camera outside intead of sitting in a bar like I use too. It takes about 20 minutes to make on of these threads. Uploading, and linking is a tedious process, and much more time consuming than writing trolling post (The worst troll of all is one who stirs up a forum without breaking the terms of service). I am sorry I didn't get the bad hoods, and the abandoned factories yet. As I plan to do it. In my original post I clearly stated it would be comprehensive in the future, and I plan to work at it.

However, I will keep working at it, but taking the time to upload them here is not worth it anymore. You all keep bickering, write 30 long post between two people arguing like drunk college kids, answering the same old questings of "Need yard for Dog, two kids, where to move?".

Old 03-28-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post

The worst troll of all is one who stirs up a forum without breaking the terms of service

You said it, brother. It takes all kinds, I guess.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:03 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Notice how I said very clearly in the first post, "I plan on having a full comprehensive collection of every Pittsburgh neighborhood soon" That is future tense (with bad grammer),

and spelling.

I'm kidding, those were great photos.

You know, there are good places and bad places in every great town in the USA. Pgh is no exception, and I'm sure whatever photos you take in the "bad" part will be just as good.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
and spelling.

I'm kidding, those were great photos.

You know, there are good places and bad places in every great town in the USA. Pgh is no exception, and I'm sure whatever photos you take in the "bad" part will be just as good.
There are parts of the beautiful utopia of San Francisco that are positively Third World and put any blighted part of Pittsburgh to shame. Well, there were as of 2003, the last time I was there. I'm sure the entire city has been scrubbed clean and had Starbuck's installed on every corner by now. I'm not even being facetious. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I know I need to work on getting better at photography

Old 03-29-2009, 03:48 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
There are parts of the beautiful utopia of San Francisco that are positively Third World and put any blighted part of Pittsburgh to shame. Well, there were as of 2003, the last time I was there. I'm sure the entire city has been scrubbed clean and had Starbuck's installed on every corner by now. I'm not even being facetious. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
But what is the ratio difference when comparing SF's "blight" compared to Pittsburgh. It's probably the complete opposite. Pittsburgh has probably a 30/70 ratio, maybe 40/70 if you're being kind (really kind). As oppsossed to SF's 70/30, maybe 80/20 ratio. Westcoast blight also looks different than blight in the Northeast or Eastcoast.

The same ratio could be used in Seattle also. What they consider to be ghetto areas out there, is a joke!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh