Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:01 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Forgot your meds today? I stated clearly why I cared. I care because photo posts of just "good shots" of the city give people researching the city a false impression of what the city is really like. Therefore, I was hoping that you would include the bad and the good in any post was intended to be "comprehensive". And as I stated multiple times, I understand that this wasn't suppose to be such.

You are free to disregard what I'm saying, but getting mad about a suggestion is rather silly. I only responded because of what you said in the post, not because you posted pictures.
I finally agree with you on something. The pics can't describe how you'll feel living there during the winter when it's gloomy, drizzling, and that to me, magnifies the "blight" BIG time!

People love posting pics of the Mexican War streets. They are beautiful, but the area is small, especailly when considering what most the other houses on the Northside look like. How about Spring Garden? You couldn't give me a house there, or pay me to live in one.

Pittsburgh shows well in pics. Especially when those pics are taken during the summer when all the trees are in full bloom, or at nightime. But the reality of a lot of Pittsburgh's nabes throws off a different vibe than those pics protray.

People who live there, or who have spent a good bit a time there, know what we are talking about.

Trying to Showcase, the best of the best, might fool someone who's never been there, but not to people who have. Take Mt. Washington, the Grand View houses look great, walk over a couple streets behind an see the difference. Same can be said about Friendship, walk over a couple streets and see the difference. Most nabes in Pittsburgh, this is the norm.

To be fair though, most of the pics that you see on this forum, or in books, almost always only show the "nice" parts of any city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 04:43 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post

Thanks a lot to everybody who took the time to respond. I know I need to work on getting better at photography, and I stated in the first thread that I am going to practice on more and hopefully all Pittsburgh neighborhoods. I never stated that this thread was a "comprehensive view" of Pittsburgh, but as we can see there are a few that are not intelligent enough to read correctly. I am slowly working on a Pittsburgh collection on my pbase account, and it is building slowly, but some jackasses out there are not happy with what I got so far.

I am sorry for shooting picture of your city and taking the time to post them here. City-data.com is not the place to do so.
Seriously, this is at least the third time I've posted the same message - DON'T LET THE HATERS GET TO YOU. Some people like nothing better than to rain on your parade. I have no idea why that is so, but your photos are beautiful, and are appreciated as such. Ignore those who can't appreciate them for what they are, and please don't stop posting them for us to enjoy.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 PM

799 posts, read 1,290,014 times
Default Real Pittsburgh

Quote:
I care because photo posts of just "good shots" of the city give people researching the city a false impression of what the city is really like.
The photo essay in question captures a lot of how I perceive Pittsburgh. The city is dramatic and beautiful. There is nothing false in the shots. Heck, I can think of photographs I've seen that paint Pittsburgh in even a brighter light. But that is just how I see it.

Anyone who says they could provide a true impression of Pittsburgh is a liar and self-delusional.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:32 PM

412 posts, read 939,371 times
Great photos!

Also, Pittsburgh should consider putting their utility lines underground.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
Great photos!

They just spent half a billion dollars digging a half mile tunnel right next to 4 bridges. No more boondoggles, please.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:01 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Free free to make out a check to the City of Pittsburgh!

Most older developments (< 1950's) in cities have utility lines on poles. Its generally a complete waste of money to put them underground. Any newer development has underground lines.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Free free to make out a check to the City of Pittsburgh!

Most older developments (< 1950's) in cities have utility lines on poles. Its generally a complete waste of money to put them underground. Any newer development has underground lines.
I like utility lines. They add character. I really like the MUNI lines in San Francisco, for the same reason.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:33 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Everybody please calm down and get back on topic.

Yac.

Oh, and btw, great photos Awesomo.2000!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:50 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I finally agree with you on something. The pics can't describe how you'll feel living there during the winter when it's gloomy, drizzling, and that to me, magnifies the "blight" BIG time!

People love posting pics of the Mexican War streets. They are beautiful, but the area is small, especailly when considering what most the other houses on the Northside look like. How about Spring Garden? You couldn't give me a house there, or pay me to live in one.

Pittsburgh shows well in pics. Especially when those pics are taken during the summer when all the trees are in full bloom, or at nightime. But the reality of a lot of Pittsburgh's nabes throws off a different vibe than those pics protray.

People who live there, or who have spent a good bit a time there, know what we are talking about.

Trying to Showcase, the best of the best, might fool someone who's never been there, but not to people who have. Take Mt. Washington, the Grand View houses look great, walk over a couple streets behind an see the difference. Same can be said about Friendship, walk over a couple streets and see the difference. Most nabes in Pittsburgh, this is the norm.

To be fair though, most of the pics that you see on this forum, or in books, almost always only show the "nice" parts of any city.
I agree with yac that I needed to calm down, but I am in no way sorry for writing a post with bad language to somebody who just completely hijacked my thread and turned it negative.

I am the photographer here, and I will shoot what I want. Your argument that people only shoot what they want you to see is true for photographers of every city. When somebody post pictures of N.Y. on their forum and they post pictures of Manhatten, the Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty, etc do people on that forum go and start saying their thread "if is is a prelude, it isn't a good one" because they didn't go into harlem and shoot needles on the street and run down buildings?

Is it my fault that I happend to have my camera when walking through Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Greenfield and caught shoots that I thought were cool? This is the city in MY EYES. Is it really hard for you and that other guy to figure that out? When I walk I go through Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Friendship, Oakland, Regen Sq, and Greenfield. I take long walks which usually end up in one direction going into one of these neighborhoods. I never see blight. I don't live in Homewood, Rankin, or Spring Garden. I am sorry that I post pictures that are in my eyes. Why don't I have any in the rain on a gloomy day? Because I am not out walking with my camera. Should I take pictures of me inside watching south park on those days? Will that make you happy?

Point is, These are MY photos, through MY eyes, and on MY walks, when I want to go. If you like them and appreciate them, than please post something. If you have to hijack my thread and turn it into what the photographer didn't get, then why post at all? Next time your home in Pittsburgh, You grab a camera, You take pictures of the bad and gloomy sections in the mon valley, and You take the time to post them. You are free to photograph what YOU want if they are Your photos. But these are MINE, through MY eyes. If you can't apreciate that I find different things beautiful or unique than others then don't post on this thread.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Great photos!

That would be a waste of money. I think it adds character to the city but I'm glad the utilities are underground in Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh