Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:17 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Oh sure, this will surely stimulate the economy. Any one remember Sky Bus?
all the trains between thurdsay and sunday were sold out between pittsburgh and philly last weekend adn the trip current takes a whopping 7 hours. somebody's on em.

anyways, back to HSR. this is not going to be real HSR, just upgrading some routes to standard passenger speeds in most of the developed world. The amou ntof moeny being spent surely means upgrades to existing lines (bringing them back up to early 20th century speeds). I'd also note that I'm not sure all of the HSR money is stimulus (ie must be spent quickly) because elsewhere I read $13 bn over five years. We shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 03:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
The high speed rail system will create jobs in construction and later there will be high speed rail industry jobs. Most importantly, it will move us away from being dependent on non-renewable energy sources for transportation. It's actually quite pathetic that the United States is in the dark ages when it comes to high speed rail transporation.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:03 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Oh sure, this will surely stimulate the economy. Any one remember Sky Bus?
I do. I took a bus to downtown, then took a street car(remember them) to South Park to ride the Sky Bus. It was truly ahead of it's time, no operators needed, run by computer. Air-conditioned, which at that time not all buses and NONE of the street cars were. The plan was for Pgh to become the rapid transit incubator of Sky Bus and provide the technology and the STEEL needed to build Sky Bus in other Metro areas. But, as usual, politics killed it.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
But, as usual, politics killed it.
I hope politics doesn't kill the high speed rail system. The airlines are totally against it. I'm so tired of industries influencing our politics with lobbyists.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:10 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Sort of off topic, but I grew up riding the train from the Turtle Creek area to Central PA. A great way to travel, don't know if I care for high speed, it's more relaxing at a slower speed, IMHO.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:10 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
it will move us away from being dependent on non-renewable energy sources for transportation.
Huh? It will do no such thing. Trains either run directly on fossil fuels or indirectly as most electricity is generated by fossil fuels.

Quote:
I'm so tired of industries influencing our politics with lobbyists.
Yeah, obviously the plans for a variety of HSR or rail upgrades have nothing to do with lobbying. The related industries are rather ethical, there is only hundreds of billions on the line. [/sarcasm]

Old 04-16-2009, 05:48 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
It goes to Philadelphia via Harrisburg, not State College.
Thanks for posting the map. These proposed rail corridors seem to be right on target. I live in CA and I would much prefer taking high-speed rail from SF to LA. Driving takes an entire day and the traffic can be brutal at times, and flying is a pain too. Rail makes so much sense.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:12 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,008 times
Quote:
Thank God we're not spending billions to transfer a bunch of idiot college students to Penn State.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:19 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,008 times
Quote:
With this map in mind, it seems as though this thread could be tranferred to the General U.S. forum (with obviously different emphasis).

Old 04-16-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
With this map in mind, it seems as though this thread could be tranferred to the General U.S. forum (with obviously different emphasis).
Are you on properly-categorized-thread-patrol or what?

Copy the map for your own thread in the General US forum.

This thread is discussing how Pittsburgh should be connected to Cleveland, how Pittsburgh is routed to Philadelphia--among other things of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh