Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:34 AM

68 posts, read 189,598 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My first post here so hoping to get some replies…

I will be starting work in Monroeville later in the year. I’ll be moving from out of state and have no idea about the Pittsburgh area. I would like to know what are the best places to live for a family with young kids around the area. I would rather live in the suburbs than the city…From what I have read in the forum so far, the areas to the North of Pittsburgh seem to be a better overall place. I have not found anything specific about the Monroeville area in this forum so am posting this.

My priorities would be
1.Good school district
2.Diversity in the community
3.Low crime
4.We would like to eventually buy a house around the ~ 250k range
5.Prefer commute no longer than 30 mins

I’ve been going through some of the posts here and it seems North Allegheny and Fox Chapel are good school districts. But Fox Chapel would be a little pricey for my budget. On the other hand the various threads about the Property Tax/Assessment in Allegheny county indicates that buying in Allegheny county has its problems

What about living in Monroeville itself? What’s good and bad about it?

Really appreciate your feedback

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:56 AM

297 posts, read 505,153 times
$250k won't get you anything special, but you can certainly find plenty of homes in safe areas with good schools close to monroeville. The big issue is going to be diversity though. Are you really big on diversity, because Pittsburgh just doesn't have much of those communities around. I mean, if you live IN the city you could probably move into a place like that, but you'd most likely have to pay for private schooling...and there are very few decent neighborhoods in the city that are truly diverse. Since you seem to be looking into the suburbs, you really don't have many options for diversity.

You mentioned Fox Chapel and the North Allegheny sd area. Have you visited these areas? If you walked up to some people in Fox Chapel or Wexford and asked about diversity they probably wouldn't be able to stop from laughing. Pittsburgh is a very, very white city...and the suburbs are even more white....we're talking 93%, 95%, 98% white is a common thing. That doesn't mean that if you're non-white that you will have issues or that it could be dangerous for you. Fox Chapel is a very nice place and I've never heard of any issues with minorities there, although I doubt there are many living there. I would personally suggest Plum. It's right next to Monroeville, very safe, and has a great school district. But, again, Plum is not diverse. I'd say it's close to 95% white. Monroeville isn't a bad area. The school district is above average, but you could certainly find better, and it's about 90% white. If you go to the east of monroeville, into westmoreland county, there is Murrysville, which has a great school in Franklin Regional, and Trafford, which has Penn-Trafford. Again, probably over 95% white, great schools, crime is a non-issue. For your budget you could also look into Ross Twp. North Hills sd is a very good school system, but same as before...virtually no diversity, good school, little crime, blah blah blah. Ross might be just out of your 30 min commute time also. No way you get from Wexford in under 30 mins, so I don't think North Allegheny would be for you either. So, my suggestions would be Plum, Murrysville, or Trafford. Monroeville isn't terrible though, but like I said, you could do better. But, if you're hardcore about diversity, move to Churchill and send your kids to Woodland Hills.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:04 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Take a look at Murrysville. It's in Westmoreland county and only a few miles from Monroeville. It depends on how you define diversity. Everything else on your list is a go.

You aren't likely to get there in 30 minutes from anywhere in the North Hills.

PA has the 7th highest property taxes in the country. Allegheny county is the highest in the state.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 AM

@mattjd
Thanks for the detailed reply..As you point out, diversity could be a big challenge for us... Hmm..I'm thinking that maybe I need to look in the City itself.. I can sacrifice the commute...
If at the end of the day if you don't feel comfortable where you live, what's the point...
I'm non-white and Its just that I'm from the New England area and used to the diversity here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
... I mean, if you live IN the city you could probably move into a place like that, but you'd most likely have to pay for private schooling...and there are very few decent neighborhoods in the city that are truly diverse. Since you seem to be looking into the suburbs, you really don't have many options for diversity.....

Old 05-07-2009, 09:42 AM

Thanks.. I'll look into Murrysville...
Well.. If my kids are not the only non-whites in school then it won't be so bad I guess.. Facing this problem for the first time so not exactly sure what are the potential problems....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Take a look at Murrysville. It's in Westmoreland county and only a few miles from Monroeville. It depends on how you define diversity. Everything else on your list is a go.

You aren't likely to get there in 30 minutes from anywhere in the North Hills.

PA has the 7th highest property taxes in the country. Allegheny county is the highest in the state.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:01 AM

297 posts, read 505,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apiscean View Post
@mattjd
Thanks for the detailed reply..As you point out, diversity could be a big challenge for us... Hmm..I'm thinking that maybe I need to look in the City itself.. I can sacrifice the commute...
If at the end of the day if you don't feel comfortable where you live, what's the point...
I'm non-white and Its just that I'm from the New England area and used to the diversity here.
I understand you being concerned, but you have to remember that if you move into the city you're going to either have to spend a lot of $$$ on a private school, or send your kids to a public school, which isn't the greatest option in the world. Allderdice is probably the best public school, but it really can't compare with places like Franklin Regional. Even in the city most neighborhoods are self-segregated. There are very few neighborhoods where tons of whites live next to tons of blacks. That's a fairy world...not Pittsburgh, for the most part. I know a lot of blacks that live in the city and just about all of them would jump at the chance to live in Plum or Murrysville and send their kids to school there rather than Peabody, Westinghouse, Oliver, or Brashear. But, you have to do what you consider best for your family. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:17 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
The city is only a 20 minute commute when you are going against rush hour. It is an hour commute if your going with rush hour.

There are a lot of drugs and thugs in Franklin regional also, just to let you know. I grew up not far from Murrysville, and boy did some of those rich murrysville kids like their cocaine. It just isn't in city schools.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:57 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Frankly, I get sick and tired of this diversity thing. This area will be diverse when the economy becomes robust enough to attract all people regardless of race, color, and whatever else you want to throw in.

As to Monroeville, there has always been a large AA population over the years. The High school, although 80% white, has a 15% AA pop and the rest Indian and or other minorities. Plum is definitely white bread city along with Franklin Regional and Penn Trafford. Penn Hills is about 50-50.

You want diversity, stay outta Pittsburgh, for now. It's not that it scares us or we hate non-whites, we just don't the economy to attract people.

My two cents.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:14 PM

30 posts, read 113,069 times
Having grown up in Murrysville, I can say that Murrysville meets all of your criteria except maybe diversity. I can tell you though that you and your kids won't feel uncomfortable there. To be honest, I would rather live in Murrysville where yes it is mostly white, but there are no issues, rather than say a Woodland Hills School District town or Penn Hills where race becomes an issue (especially WH) even though it is diverse and there is crime. Sides get taken based on race in those schools. Remember though that this will only be an issue for your kids; you would be fine living in any of these areas. Also Gateway, FR, and PT are academically superior to WH, PH, and Plum.

Another thing to consider is that Murrysville and Trafford are in Westmoreland County, so lower taxes.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:28 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post

There are a lot of drugs and thugs in Franklin regional also, just to let you know. I grew up not far from Murrysville, and boy did some of those rich murrysville kids like their cocaine. It just isn't in city schools.
Thank you!..and don't forget METH and heroin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh