Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Do you really want to pick up an uneducated sounding dialect?
I really have a bone to pick with this attitude.

Would you go to Vermont and think someone who talked "Vermontese" was an uneducated hick? Or Boston? Or Atlanta?

Why do you think it here?

Yes -- of course you're going to run into morons with the accent -- but you're going to miss a lot of intelligent people, too, if you just dismiss them as morons on the face of an ACCENT. It's just an accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 02:56 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
The WORST is when a movie/show is set in Pittsburgh, and they *ATTEMPT* to get the dialect right... Always comes off to me as a terrible mix of Chicago and Brooklyn.

Because that is what it is, I think.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:46 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I think that the "Pittsburgh accent" along with the grammatical errors does make people sound horribly uneducated.

Yinz guys ain't got none is all too prevalent with down-home burghers.
I don't believe you hear professionals talking in yinzer dialect.
They certainly wouldn't get far in a multinational corporate environment.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:53 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I really have a bone to pick with this attitude.

Would you go to Vermont and think someone who talked "Vermontese" was an uneducated hick? Or Boston? Or Atlanta?
I wouldn't feel that way at all towards the areas you mentioned. We spent a month in NE during our honeymoon last year.......their "accent" doesn't sound uneducated at all. The way some (thankfully not all) SW Pennsylvanians speak sounds very lazy and uneducated.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:56 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It is a little more subtle, but I have definitely detected the Pittsburgh dialect among native professionals. For example, one of the easiest things to spot is omitting "to be" (as in "This document needs copied").

By the way, I agree that there is no rational basis for claiming one dialect is better or worse than another dialect. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't share that view, so that is a reality people have to deal with, rational or not.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:13 AM

315 posts, read 665,394 times
Yea there's like an affected Pittsburghese and there's true Pittsburghese. The affected Pittsburghese is probably what you will encounter more, whereas true Pittsburghese is a whole nother beast.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:32 AM

315 posts, read 665,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I think that the "Pittsburgh accent" along with the grammatical errors does make people sound horribly uneducated.

Yinz guys ain't got none is all too prevalent with down-home burghers.
They certainly wouldn't get far in a multinational corporate environment.

Yea this is what I was pretty much trying to say. The affected yinzer accent is like maybe you say air instead of there and ou is pronounced ah and most verbs are spoken a little hard. This is common and for the most part pretty standard. True Pittsburghese though is probably not a reflection of the dialect, our georgraphic location, or our ancestral heritage, it's probably more of a reflection of people who have low IQs or haven't done much past maybe graduating high school.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:33 AM

645 posts, read 1,540,483 times
Love/hate/indifferent to the sound of the dialect, what really adds to the magic is indigenous word use; perhaps somthing like:

"I seen a grinny and sputzie in a jagger bush eating berries, so I ascraed them with a gumband fired their way."

Old 08-13-2009, 07:37 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
It is a little more subtle, but I have definitely detected the Pittsburgh dialect among native professionals.
Me too. Some of the office computer guys will talk about the "mahse", and we've mentioned the "o" sound in words like "stop" and "concert" before.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:33 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
From Pittsburgh Speech & Society :Can people pick up a Pittsburgh accent if they move here as adults?
If an individual is surrounded by speakers with a distinct accent, it’s certainly possible for the individual to adopt certain elements of that accent, and many outsiders pick up local words like “yinz,” at least for fun. It is also normal for such a person to “switch back” to their original accent when having conversations with people who share that same original accent. In general, people’s accents are fairly resistant to change; you tend to sound like the people you were around when you were a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh