Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:03 PM

87 posts, read 168,616 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if it's been posted before...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 04:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Although not titled, there are quite a few in this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...been-here.html

Maybe you could post asking the OP to pull out the ones for North Side and the Mexican War Streets.

Or maybe I'll copy the ones I recognize into this thread if the OP of the other thread doesn't mind.

I don't feel comfortable doing it without permission since he is the photographer.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
I've got a ton. I'll post some in this thread soon.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:49 PM

Here we go!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 PM

Great pictures!

I wish you could do this for every single town and neighborhood---Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall, Bawnox, Oakmont, etc.

Even the suburbs! It would be great for people to see the diversity and vastness of our townships. There's a little of everything within most school districts.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:37 AM

I've got pics from pretty much every area in the city, and some of the inner burbs as well.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:08 PM

89 posts, read 218,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Great pictures!

I wish you could do this for every single town and neighborhood---Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall, Bawnox, Oakmont, etc.

Even the suburbs!
Aren't all of the neighborhoods you listed suburbs? : )

North Side/War Streets/Deutschtown are such a gorgeous neighborhoods.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
I don't really consider Etna, Millvale, and Sharpsburg suburbs, even though they are not technically in the city. These neighborhoods still have an urban feel that the suburbs lack, and they were built up long before the rise of cookie-cutter suburbia, white flight, etc.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbarblahblah View Post
Aren't all of the neighborhoods you listed suburbs? : )
Although not within the city limits, Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall, Bawnox, Oakmont are not suburbs.

They were independent, thriving towns of their own once.

Etna used to be THE PLACE to go for holidays, parades, etc. People trekked to Etna from Butler and beyond.

Suburbs are sprawling neighborhoods with modern housing developments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbarblahblah View Post
North Side/War Streets/Deutschtown are such a gorgeous neighborhoods.
They are! I just feel that the entire Pittsburgh metro area deserves to be highlighted by someone.

People moving to the area need to see that beautiful victorians line Glenshaw Avenue (and the immediate surrounding streets) in Shaler Township.

That area was the origional town of Glenshaw---back before Glenshaw was only a zip code.

For example, look at this house and this house and this house. There are MANY, MANY more.

There's even the origional library on Butler Plank Road. I've never been in it, but I'll bet it's filled with old treasures. It's open on occassion.

Pittsburgh's suburban townships aren't only filled with subdivisions. There are some beautiful old neighborhoods hidden away in pockets everywhere.

You guys should really get out of the city sometime and venture into these old little towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I don't really consider Etna, Millvale, and Sharpsburg suburbs, even though they are not technically in the city. These neighborhoods still have an urban feel that the suburbs lack, and they were built up long before the rise of cookie-cutter suburbia, white flight, etc.
Thank you! Thank you!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Quote:
Quote:

Although not within the city limits, Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall, Bawnox, Oakmont are not suburbs.

They were independent, thriving towns of their own once.

Etna used to be THE PLACE to go for holidays, parades, etc. People trekked to Etna from Butler and beyond.

Suburbs are sprawling neighborhoods with modern housing developments.
You have to consider the context you're using the term in. If you're discussing taxes, or police departments, or municipal services, or elected officials, then they most certainly do need to be labled as suburbs.

If you're simply discussing the feel of the community, ok, you can distinguish them from say Bethel Park or Monroeville, but to make a flat statement that they're not suburbs is misleading.

Quote:
sub⋅urb  /ˈsʌbɜrb/ [suhb-urb]
–noun 1.a district lying immediately outside a city or town, esp. a smaller residential community.

2.the suburbs, the area composed of such districts.

3.an outlying part.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh