Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:07 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,592,170 times

Advertisements

Currently, the population of the city proper stands at just a little over 310,000 people (2006 statistics). Logically, if it's going to keep dropping, it can only drop so much before the population numbers level off. In fact, there was an article several months ago that explained how our population decline was slowing down. The stagment employment numbers and the economy in general was said to be the factor to this. Therefore, I was wondering how much farther the population can really plummet before it hits rock bottom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,951 times
I'm going to guess that it's only time before the trend is reversed. More and more is being developed for residency in the down town area and most city neighborhoods are cleaning up thier acts and becoming habitable once again. I think the region has seen rock bottom already.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
You should be more concerned with Greensburg being voted one of the best places to retire.

Greensburg, PA selected as one of the "Best Places to Retire"

Just wait until everyone who reads that article mirgrates to Greensburg! Talk about aging population!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You should be more concerned with Greensburg being voted one of the best places to retire.

Greensburg, PA selected as one of the "Best Places to Retire"

Just wait until everyone who reads that article mirgrates to Greensburg! Talk about aging population!
Yeah, I read about that on the Wikipedia, despite being known for its questionable content. The problem with Greensburg is that there's not much in the way for younger people to do around here, even though we have 5 colleges and universities within a 5-mile radius of the city, which is something most other small cities can't compare with. Our nightlife is practically non-existant and the majority of nightlife activity takes place within the various bars and nightclubs throughout the city. Our myriad of cultural attractions seems to be the talk of the town but I don't really see anything that would be worth visiting if you're from out of town, except for the Westmoreland Museum of American Art. Our music scene is nothing to be proud about either, except for the Juliana Theory, a defunct band that made music headlines nationwide at one time.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:49 PM

323 posts, read 835,609 times
Wait about two years when the new taxes kick in.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:33 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,060,020 times
I wonder how many of those 310,000 are college students whose main residence is elsewhere. I reckon that the population of Pittsburgh will continue to decline until the school district eliminates the 2% income tax. That's part of the reason the growth rate in Cranberry is something around 15% while Pittsburgh's is negative. What I'd like to know is when will a suburb's population eclipse Pittsburgh's? And which suburb (or exurb) will it be?

Old 09-23-2009, 06:00 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,804,807 times
Pittsburgh, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

Check out the last 3 years.

I think we may see our first net gain in population sooner than most may think.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
I think there is a decent chance the City of Pittsburgh population actually bottomed a few years ago, around 2003 or so. This is based on the Census's American Community Survey, which isn't the source for their official population estimates, but I think is likely more accurate when you are talking about subcounty regions like Pittsburgh.

The same could be true of the Metro Area, but I am less sure of that.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
I wonder how many of those 310,000 are college students whose main residence is elsewhere. I reckon that the population of Pittsburgh will continue to decline until the school district eliminates the 2% income tax. That's part of the reason the growth rate in Cranberry is something around 15% while Pittsburgh's is negative. What I'd like to know is when will a suburb's population eclipse Pittsburgh's? And which suburb (or exurb) will it be?
I don't know much about Pittsburgh Schools' income tax and its correlation to the population decline but I doubt that any of the suburbs are going to eclipse Pittsburgh in population, the largest municipality population-wise happens to be Penn Hills at around 47,000 people followed by Bethel Park at 34,000 people, according to the 2000 census. Even Cranberry, the fastest growing municipality in Western Pennsylvania will not eclipse Pittsburgh, even though it is expected to grow from its 2000 population of 23,625.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:38 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Part of the appeal of Cranberry is low Butler County taxes and quick access to 79, 228, and the PA Turnpike. Plus, if you're a soccer mom, it's the place to be.

Unless it starts to annex land, it will never come close to Pgh's population. But it is the fastest growing area in Pennsylvania, for better or worse.

I like to call it, Monroeville of the North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh