Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:29 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Who knows Youngstown could get in your blood...............
Yinz Pittsburghers unite! We have someone trying to poach one of our scarce as hen's teeth young preservationists! She needs stopped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yinz Pittsburghers unite! We have someone trying to poach one of our scarce as hen's teeth young preservationists! She needs stopped!
Hahah, don't worry! I'm just on the verge of possibly buying a Victorian mansion in McKees Rocks, and I probably need my head examined for doing this, so it looks like I will be here forever!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:38 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
SCR, thanks for your kind words. I'm glad there are others in my generation that love the character of our old cities and homes. You'll never see me move to the soulless south (no i'm not talking about old southern towns, i'm talking about nasty southern sprawl, you know, kind of like the suburbs of Columbus, Ohio lol).
I personally think that the trend of our nation's youth reclaiming our long-neglected urban centers will be sustainable and is not just a "fluke". I look at places like Youngstown, for example, and I don't think "Ewwww". I think to myself "Someone's great-great-grandparents built these homes and these communities with great dreams and visions for a prosperous future. What a shame to let those visions meet an untimely demise through abandonment." People think I find places like Cranberry Township, Wexford, most (not all) of NoVA outside the Beltway, etc. to be so abhorrent because I'm a snob. Not at all. I just feel as if it's ecologically and socially irresponsible to be developing newer exurbs when the hopes and dreams of prior generations are decaying to the core in our nation's cities and inner suburbs.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I'm so sorry you lost your childhood friend, CortlandGirl.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:15 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Dam.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:24 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I agree this is a terrible loss, obviously on a human level but also on a policy level, because I am also convinced the corridor between Pittsburgh and Youngstown is destined to become very important in the future (it already is to some extent). So hopefully the foundation she has laid will be built on further by others.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:21 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Thanks guys. Brian, I know we've talked about this before and even though many people in Pittsburgh have stated on this board that they should associate themselves more w/the northeast than northeast Ohio I think they are blinded by their bias against the midwest. Attempts at regionalization are the way to go. We need to share resources and market the skills of our entire region. Cleveland Plus (http://www.clevelandplus.com/indexcz.asp - broken link)

Quote:
The metropolitan statistical areas of Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Steubenville, Weirton and Youngtown, along with adjacent counties, add up to a population of more than 6 million and a labor force of more than 4 million. They make up a combined market that many local businesses already treat as a single region when looking to the future.

Nowhere is the connection between the two regions stronger than in the labor market. The interconnected Cleve-burgh workforces have long had a symbiotic relationship, and it's been growing over time. Both regions have long obsessed over migration and job growth while both have depended on each other for workers.
Welcome to Cleveburgh! Pittsburghers need to rethink their place in the world

Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 AM

Personally, I see no reason to choose just one. We can be all of Pittsland, Washburgh, Phitty (OK, that last might not be a good moniker), and more.

And whether or not Pittsburgh and Cleveland ever grow into each other enough to be treated as a CSA (as in Washington and Baltimore), I have no doubt that Youngstown specifically will be considered at least a partial member of our region in the future, and in fact it already has a lot of economic and cultural overlap with Pittsburgh.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Personally, I see no reason to choose just one. We can be all of Pittsland, Washburgh, Phitty (OK, that last might not be a good moniker), and more.

And whether or not Pittsburgh and Cleveland ever grow into each other enough to be treated as a CSA (as in Washington and Baltimore), I have no doubt that Youngstown specifically will be considered at least a partial member of our region in the future, and in fact it already has a lot of economic and cultural overlap with Pittsburgh.
Yeah, Youngstown is basically the "Front Line" between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. I'm definitely not the first one to say that, but I'm using the very scientific process of judging what city's sports memorabilia I see there. I guess it to be 50-50.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 AM

It is our manifest destiny to possess the whole of Youngstown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh