Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:00 AM

32 posts, read 70,306 times

Advertisements

There are some nice areas of Wilkinsburg. Plenty of hard-working middle, lower-middle and working class black families. Of course, the fact that they are majority black, lumps the entire area as ghetto and crime-ridden.

This is the typical response that I would expect from "You know the Kind" Pittsburghers. The kind that Gov. Rendell talked about during the election. Know that in every black community there are black middle, lower middle and working class blacks with lovely homes and good jobs. Blacks who love their community and love living in their community. Blacks who don't feel that anything non-black is better and a standard of success. In Homewood, the Hill, and Wilkinsburg, there are blacks that are educated and a part of the community. Blacks who purchase homes and maintain them for community, pride and culture--not resell value.

I recommend that you read "Black Picket Fences" if you want to move beyond the superficial and stereotypical response of blacks and their communities. Of course, this is too much for people who want to remain ignorant and bias. For the record, I have lived in Wilkinsburg from when it was racially mixed to majority black, and have never experienced any crime. Amazing, considering some have stated that bullets are flying all over the place.

I will confess, however, that I love it when my non-black friends visit my parents' home and ask whether we are still in Wilkinsburg. I say, "Yes we are, and all these homes are black owned. This is the Wilkinsburg that you don't hear about in the news."

Last edited by kevin37; 11-23-2009 at 01:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 01:15 AM

783 posts, read 2,022,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin37 View Post
Of course, the fact that they are majority black, lumps the entire area as ghetto and crime-ridden.
I don't think Wilkinsburg is a crime-ridden ghetto because it's majority black. I think it's a crime-ridden ghetto because it is exactly that...a crime-ridden ghetto. Pick up a newspaper, watch the news...that place sucks. The schools suck, crime is insane, drugs and gangs are out of control. It's just an all-around crappy area. I'm not saying 100% of the people there are terrible, but it's bad enough to make me want to avoid th place at all cost. I've met nice black people that live in Beltzhoover, but that didn't change my perception that Beltzhoover is also a dump. I don't think Wilkinsburg has a bad reputation because of race, as you suggest. It's reputation is justified because of the amount of crime going on there, the vast amount of poverty, the terrible schools, the insane property taxes, the run down homes, etc etc. If you live in Wilkinsburg and love it, then great. All the best to you. But eventually you'll be faced with reality of what's going on there and you can either try to do something to fix your community, or you can turn a blind eye, claim the place is amazing, and chalk all the negative news to racism.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 AM

Love2Golf09...yup! Just what I expected. Your only contact with Wilkinsburg is through the news....and, of course, that is always accurate. If it's not because it's all black, then name one all black area in Pittsburgh that doesn't have that reputation. Yeah, you're right---race has nothing to do with it. Silly me.

Clearly, you didn't understand the post because it doesn't suggest that ALL of Wilkinsburg is glowing, and you completely missed the message---but that's expected.

"There are some nice areas of Wilkinsburg." But I'm sure that you did your best---considering.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 AM

362 posts, read 919,252 times
Quote:
There are some nice areas of Wilkinsburg. Plenty of hard-working middle, lower-middle and working class black families. Of course, the fact that they are majority black, lumps the entire area as ghetto and crime-ridden.

This is the typical response that I would expect from "You know the Kind" Pittsburghers. The kind that Gov. Rendell talked about during the election. Know that in every black community there are black middle, lower middle and working class blacks with lovely homes and good jobs. Blacks who love their community and love living in their community. Blacks who don't feel that anything non-black is better and a standard of success. In Homewood, the Hill, and Wilkinsburg, there are blacks that are educated and a part of the community. Blacks who purchase homes and maintain them for community, pride and culture--not resell value.

I recommend that you read "Black Picket Fences" if you want to move beyond the superficial and stereotypical response of blacks and their communities. Of course, this is too much for people who want to remain ignorant and bias. For the record, I have lived in Wilkinsburg from when it was racially mixed to majority black, and have never experienced any crime. Amazing, considering some have stated that bullets are flying all over the place.

I will confess, however, that I love it when my non-black friends visit my parents' home and ask whether we are still in Wilkinsburg. I say, "Yes we are, and all these homes are black owned. This is the Wilkinsburg that you don't hear about in the news."
What is the point of your post? Are you just trying to stir-the-pot?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
There are indeed some nice spots in Wilkinsburg--and I'm not just saying that, because I live in one with my wife and son. This is our second time in fact--my wife and I lived in Wilkinsburg in an apartment for a while, and then recently bought a house here.

I might note there are also some good things going on in Wilkinsburg in general, including a variety of initiatives to address things like vacant properties and eventually the relatively high property tax rates. Various local groups and the municipal government have been working with CMU, the Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation, and other non-profits on planning and funding. Rebuilding Wilkinsburg is going to be a long process, of course, but I am quite certain Wilkinsburg is on an overall upward track.

So I agree the idea that Wilkinsburg is one big ghetto is both overbroad and outdated. On the other hand, justifiable or not, I am not sure antagonizing the many people who have a different impression of Wilkinsburg right now is a great idea. Rather, it seems to me that patiently, if firmly, explaining the truth might be the better approach.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:34 AM

Heit,

The fact that you didn't get the point is the problem. Maybe you should give it a second read.

BrianTh,

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps you might have a point.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 AM

362 posts, read 919,252 times
Kevin,

I have no problem with Wilkinsburg and the good people who live there, black, white, whatever. I grew up in Lawrenceville, very similar to Wilkinsburg in my opinion. There are good and bad areas of both communities and both black & white & whoever live in these areas.

I felt your post had racial overtones to it and am hoping it's not an attempt at a black vs white, racism deal. If I am way off base I apologize.

I have many friends of varied races and I could care less what color your/my skin is. If folks want to stereotype and be ignorant that is an individual's problem, no matter the race. I am happy to see "people" doing well and improving areas of both Wilkinsburg & Lawrenceville and hope the trend continues for other neighboring communities.

People want to focus on black, white, rainbow, that is there choice. I try my best to be colored blind and "see" the person.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Kevin37, a tip:

Let me apologize up front for name dropping (again), but reading a bit of Ben Franklin's Autobiography last night. (To all: I am not very well-read in history and politics overall, being a science guy, but have been very curious about the topics of late..). In it Franklin talks about the importance of coming across in a less self-righteous or overly confident tone when imparting new information. Naturally when someone comes across as lecturing or scolding, folks begin formulating the counter argument before hearing you through. I think this is largely true, and I have been surprised at the certitude of posters on complex, nebulous topics, such as climate, where to live, politics,etc. This topic would seem to be a poster child. A great conversation to have, but it will be challenging to get us all to listen and think before reacting.

In this case, I really think you intended to challenge us to look more closely at African-American communities, which seems very valuable. However, the subtext seemed to be that folks who pidgeon-hole majority black communities are racist or ill-informed. The reality seems more complex. I think I would agree that they must be communities with variability and complexity, in short, a story worth hearing. However, a difficulty that relates to many of the discussions here is the trajectory over time in terms of safety, school achievement, and other things. I think it is often an open question about whether crime, squalor and underachievement spread or contract over time. I appreciate BrianTH's take on that from where he lives. However, I do believe most of the posters are trying to counsel new immigrants to the "safer" options for a newcomer, where those issues are less in doubt.

This whole topic brings up one of the most difficult questions in our history and society. In other words, why do some neighborhoods predictably underacheive academically, have higher crime, greater poverty, and greater interethnic strife? For all the vaunted benefits of "diversity," my experience has been that it is challenging. Although I have a familiarity with hispanic culture, for instance, I do recall that I was "jumped" twice by hispanic boys growing up, as was my best friend. And with kids carrying knives, murders, gangs, etc. It was such a rough town that I felt in junior high and high school being a bookworm was a good way to get your a$* kicked. You just kept a low profile (or perhaps I was just a wimp..). I did not engage in much study in high school, though once I entered Junior College I found I was a very good student and eventually ended up with a doctorate. It just was not cool, nor safe to be a nerd, given the bada$$ youth culture in my home town. Years earlier, in the lovely Silicon Valley town of San Jose, CA my 7 year old sister was accosted and had her pants pulled down (but was not further assaulted) by an older black boy; my Dad left the city that year. Now, diversity is fine, but would I expose my son to an environment like that? Probably not. I don't share this with any dogma, because I am a firm supporter of public schools, neighborhood watch programs, seeing the good in rough kids, multiculturalism, and generally making the change you want to see in the world. But all it takes is one act of violence to cause folks to pull away in fear.

So, I guess the point of this long-winded post is to say it is a great topic worthy of discussion, but scolding all of us for our "biases" will not really get us to fully engage as I believe you desire.

That said, I'll check out "Black Picket Fences." Thanks for the tip!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:01 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,157 times
Quote:
If it's not because it's all black, then name one all black area in Pittsburgh that doesn't have that reputation.
Geez. Pittsburgh needs some latino influx. It tends to completely obliterate the notion of 'all black' or 'all white' area. I like Wilkinsburg because there's a Popeyes. They have the best red-beans-and-rice.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Geez. Pittsburgh needs some latino influx. It tends to completely obliterate the notion of 'all black' or 'all white' area. I like Wilkinsburg because there's a Popeyes. They have the best red-beans-and-rice.
TRUE. I instantly felt that way living in NYC. Latino blends the white and black together quite well.

I remember one black guy complaining to me about all the latinos everywhere, kind of as if I agreed with him - although I didn't. He was saying you and I were here from the beginning, not these guys!

I didn't agree with him at all (in his anti-latino stance at the time), BUT I really liked the 'bonding' feeling he was creating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh