Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 24,839 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a position with Dicks Sporting Goods at their corporate office (15275). Can anyone tell me about the company? They seem to have a lot of turnover at their headquarters.

Also I'm looking for information on where to live. A commute up to 40min is fine. My number one priority is the school and number two is the community.

I'm open to public or private. Ideal would be a smaller school system so my middle school children won't be overwhelmed. An average grade of about 150 or less would be great.

For a community safety, evangelical church, and a good youth sports program are very important.

Any information would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 09:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
I recommend Quaker Valley School District. It's a smaller school district providing a top quality education.

Neighborhoods served by Quaker Valley are as follows from wiki:

Boroughs of Sewickley, Leetsdale, Edgeworth, Osborne, Sewickley Hills, Sewickley Heights, Bell Acres, Haysville, Glenfield, as well as the townships of Leet and Aleppo Townships.

I cant' recommend which specific borough or township is best for you until I know your price range and what you want from a neighborhood.

But Sewickley is very nice if you can find a house you can afford there.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:47 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,858 times
Dick's is building a huge facility on the Northwest corner of the airport. It is wedged in between the route 60 split that is now called Interstate 376. Access is going to be convenient from all directons.

Sewickley would be pretty close. All of Beaver County would great. 40 minutes would get you into parts of West Virginia, and Ohio. Unless you are truly a city dweller, I see no reason for going East of the airport.

The Pittsburgh airport is one of the few airports that is in a desirable location.

Check out Blackhawk School district in Chippewa/ South Beaver Township. Don't be thrown by the Beaver Falls address.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:01 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,351,380 times
While I don't know anything about the corporate office, I think Dick's is a great retail store. It is definitely my "go to" place for sports equipment. They are obviously doing something right, so I have to think that it starts at the corporate headquarters.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 24,839 times
Could you rank 1 2 3 the township, borough, or town that's the nicest within 20min of the airport. I'm looking for a home in the $200K range.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,858 times
Do you want neighbors, or do you want land?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:32 AM

4 posts, read 14,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVVAOH View Post
I'm considering a position with Dicks Sporting Goods at their corporate office (15275). Can anyone tell me about the company? They seem to have a lot of turnover at their headquarters.

Also I'm looking for information on where to live. A commute up to 40min is fine. My number one priority is the school and number two is the community.

I'm open to public or private. Ideal would be a smaller school system so my middle school children won't be overwhelmed. An average grade of about 150 or less would be great.

For a community safety, evangelical church, and a good youth sports program are very important.

Any information would be helpful.
Hey, hi. I just recently quit working at corporate. You are right, there are a TON of people either quitting or being let go because of re-organization. The company is going through a major growth spurt right now and they are moving in to a new building starting at the beginning of the year because they are hiring/replacing people like mad.

It depends on what department you will be working in as to whether you will find it enjoyable or not. One thing you should be aware of is the amount of cheating on spouses that goes on at the company. It's mind-boggling! That is why I quit. I swear, everyone there is sleeping with someone OTHER than their spouse! I'd say a good 70% are getting it on with someone else with whom they work with at the company. It starts at the top and funnels all the way down to the bottom of the company.
There are a ton of "independent contractors" and other employees from other companies that work there and they sleep around - A LOT. It's like they think that if they sleep with the boss they will become a permanent fixture and be hired by corporate so they don't have to be independent contractors anymore. BE CAREFUL - this is a SERIOUS problem there and there are MANY unsuspecting spouses out there. I just couldn't handle that aspect of the job anymore, it's flaunted and practically expected of you.

As far as where to live, I'd stay as close to the airport as possible. The new corporate is past the airport so looking up in that general direction would be smart. At 200K I'd probably suggest the Moon School district. It's a solid school (a new facility is being built) it's not too big and many of the employees of Dick's send their kids to school there.

Good luck with your new job. If you can handle the highs and lows of a company rapidly expanding, new people always coming in and out of the office, lots of pressure and stress and you like the idea of having an extra-marital affair then this will be the place for you! They pay well, they reward you well and it's a growing company. You have to weigh the pros against the cons. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Wow, beanpole! I learn something new every day on City-Data!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,888 times
One thing I will add is that with companies like Dick's, most corporations are not looking for entry level people right now. Those people are a dime a dozen.

The people most corporations are hiring are managers and middle level executives.

Basically what most corporations are doing right now is expecting one person to do the job of two or three people. When they get that person so scared that they might loose their job if they do not perform, they get the most work out of that person.

When the pressure and the stress gets to be too much, either the person who is doing the work cracks, or quits. You are going to see more and more people going POSTAL in the near future.

When the corporation gets the amount of work out of a office that they expect, they will move people out of that office and into other divisions to fill spots vacated by the people who are not willing to work as hard as you are to keep their jobs.

So yes, when someone is working 12 hours a day and spending long hours away from their families and friends and has to make new friends and family inside of the company, you are going to have issues with people mating with each other to relieve the pressures and stress, and the attraction of one person to another - due to all the hours they are forced to spend with each other.

Corporate life right now is a dog eat dog world. But not everyone is screwing each other. When you have a 350 lbs janitor, he isn't getting laid anymore then he was if he was to go to a singles bar and buy some fat chick drinks until she was drunk, take her home and if he is lucky, screw here before she throws up or passes out.

Moon and Quaker Valley are good choices, but my advice to you is - DO NOT BUY A HOUSE RIGHT AWAY UNTIL YOU FIND OUT WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO! 6 MONTHS - 2 YEARS FROM NOW, YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE A JOB EITHER!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:18 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,777,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpole2010 View Post
Hey, hi. I just recently quit working at corporate. You are right, there are a TON of people either quitting or being let go because of re-organization. The company is going through a major growth spurt right now and they are moving in to a new building starting at the beginning of the year because they are hiring/replacing people like mad.

It depends on what department you will be working in as to whether you will find it enjoyable or not. One thing you should be aware of is the amount of cheating on spouses that goes on at the company. It's mind-boggling! That is why I quit. I swear, everyone there is sleeping with someone OTHER than their spouse! I'd say a good 70% are getting it on with someone else with whom they work with at the company. It starts at the top and funnels all the way down to the bottom of the company.
There are a ton of "independent contractors" and other employees from other companies that work there and they sleep around - A LOT. It's like they think that if they sleep with the boss they will become a permanent fixture and be hired by corporate so they don't have to be independent contractors anymore. BE CAREFUL - this is a SERIOUS problem there and there are MANY unsuspecting spouses out there. I just couldn't handle that aspect of the job anymore, it's flaunted and practically expected of you.

As far as where to live, I'd stay as close to the airport as possible. The new corporate is past the airport so looking up in that general direction would be smart. At 200K I'd probably suggest the Moon School district. It's a solid school (a new facility is being built) it's not too big and many of the employees of Dick's send their kids to school there.

Good luck with your new job. If you can handle the highs and lows of a company rapidly expanding, new people always coming in and out of the office, lots of pressure and stress and you like the idea of having an extra-marital affair then this will be the place for you! They pay well, they reward you well and it's a growing company. You have to weigh the pros against the cons. Best of luck to you.
Interesting. Looks like Dick's is making a strong push to be a new Tiger Woods sponsor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: