Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

There are plainclothed law enforcement, like detectives, and there are undercover officers---truly undercover, pretending to not be police officers.

If they are undercover to buy drugs, they're certainly not wearing a badge outside of their coat and they're not driving the typical unmarked police car either.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There are plainclothed law enforcement, like detectives, and there are undercover officers---truly undercover, pretending to not be police officers.

If they are undercover to buy drugs, they're certainly not wearing a badge outside of their coat and they're not driving the typical unmarked police car either.
To a point, you are right. The undercover "narcs" work the streets, no ID, no badges. These are the guys who make the "buys" from the dealers. They work alone, or with another officer "in hiding" and usually never identify themselves as it would "blow their cover" for buys down the road.

The plainclothed guys (usually 3 to 4 in jeans/shorts & baseball caps) come up after the deal is made and money transferred, or drive around the streets looking for suspicious activity/persons. Commonly referred to "SRU units" or Street Response Units. These were the ones who took him down, and would have had the lights and badges.

If anyone would like to witness how they work, visit the strip district any Saturday night usually between 11PM-3AM. At some point and time, you will get to see some action

Old 03-06-2010, 07:06 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I side with the cops, why don't all you liberals do what they do for at least one day. Bet your story would change.
What does politics have to do with this? Just because we took the side of the student (with some obvious reasons for us to side with him) doesn't mean we're some crazy liberals who hates the cops, army, etc.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM

145 posts, read 283,694 times
Quote:
You say you side with the police 9 out of 10 times. I'm more 50/50.

It all depends on the specifics of each situation. What I've read of the testimony leads me to believe that police were wrong in this case.
As a matter of policy, I believe it fair to say that some deference must be given to police officers' testimony. I think one can safely assume that more often than not, accused criminals have less to lose by lying.

Regarding this specific situation, the kid said that the police didn't identify themselves... the police say they did. Apparently nobody else was around to witness any of this. I would tend to believe that the police did, at some point prior to the struggle, identify themselves.

That being said, if there was a self-identification, the kid had a tackle coming his way no matter the neighborhood, number of police, etc. Simply being scared and taking flight from police isn't a very good defense to being jumped on.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:01 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
What does politics have to do with this? Just because we took the side of the student (with some obvious reasons for us to side with him) doesn't mean we're some crazy liberals who hates the cops, army, etc.
Point taken.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:23 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
He thought he was being abducted!
You have to be kidding.....

Quote:
Did you even read the article?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I read it. The kid says the officers didn't identify themselves, the police say they did.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Exactly! I'm a middle aged woman from the suburbs, and I KNOW I wouldn't stop!

I actually thought about this years ago!

I would never stop for an unmarked police car on the highway at night. Never.

You are crazy. I hope you are out traveling on I-79 or any of the parkways some night and get pursued by an unmarked car. You will make "Breaking News" or at least headlines on every news network because of the chase that would ensue.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
You are crazy. I hope you are out traveling on I-79 or any of the parkways some night and get pursued by an unmarked car. You will make "Breaking News" or at least headlines on every news network because of the chase that would ensue.
Not crazy at all. Being a man, I'm not surprised that you are unaware that women have been abducted from the highways by men impersonating police officers.

The police actually recommend that you drive to the nearest police station if you are unsure if it is really a police officer trying to pull you over.

Now that we're living in a cell phone world, 911 is an option too.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Not crazy at all. Being a man, I'm not surprised that you are unaware that women have been abducted from the highways by men impersonating police officers.
Oh please, I have a big nose, and it's a nose for news, of course I've heard of that happening. Does it happen often? Hardly. We travel a lot and I notice the PSP using unmarked cars on the highways more often. Most municipalities use them, especially Mt Lebanon.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Does it happen often? Hardly.
Frequency is irrelevant. This is a decision I made for my safety. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh