Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 6,163 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am relocating to Pittsburgh and have been out to the city several times looking for a place to live. I have found a couple of great neighborhoods, but few places in my price range have really struck me. I am a 27 year old single male who will be in the city as a resident physician at West Penn and AGH. I would love to find a small townhome or condo that is not a huge fixer-uper in a neighborhood that is relatively walkable. I'm looking in the sub 150k range, preferably even in the 100-125k range. Maybe this is all way too much to ask.

So far Bloomfield seems like the best bet neighborhood wise, but I haven't found anything there I really liked. Shadyside seems a little pricey for what is available. I found a few nice places in Squirrel Hill (south of the parkway) and Greenfield but that area seems kind of removed from everything. There look to be some decent places in Lawrenceville and Stanton Heights, but I was told by some friends in the area that I should steer clear of most of the areas north of Penn Ave.

My question: other than Bloomfield, Shadyside, and Squirrel Hill, are there any neighborhoods that might fit my criteria? I would like to expand my search, but I'm just not sure if there's anywhere else that fits the bill. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 01:37 PM

783 posts, read 2,024,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Chimneys View Post
Hello. I am relocating to Pittsburgh and have been out to the city several times looking for a place to live. I have found a couple of great neighborhoods, but few places in my price range have really struck me. I am a 27 year old single male who will be in the city as a resident physician at West Penn and AGH. I would love to find a small townhome or condo that is not a huge fixer-uper in a neighborhood that is relatively walkable. I'm looking in the sub 150k range, preferably even in the 100-125k range. Maybe this is all way too much to ask.

So far Bloomfield seems like the best bet neighborhood wise, but I haven't found anything there I really liked. Shadyside seems a little pricey for what is available. I found a few nice places in Squirrel Hill (south of the parkway) and Greenfield but that area seems kind of removed from everything. There look to be some decent places in Lawrenceville and Stanton Heights, but I was told by some friends in the area that I should steer clear of most of the areas north of Penn Ave.

My question: other than Bloomfield, Shadyside, and Squirrel Hill, are there any neighborhoods that might fit my criteria? I would like to expand my search, but I'm just not sure if there's anywhere else that fits the bill. Thanks!
Does it have to be in the city? I know that Oakmont has some 2BR townhouses for well under $150, as does Pennsbury Village. The ones in Oakmont I believe are called The Commons, but I could be wrong. They are mostly 2BR/1BA and have a small garage attached. Oakmont is a nice area, so you might want to consider that. Also, Shaler and Baldwin have some cheaper townhomes like that. I'd also look into Castle Shannon, Crafton, Dormont, Carnegie, and Greentree. Those areas have a lot of cheaper townhouses. Avoid the temptation to buy a cheap townhouse in Penn Hills. You will regret it.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the heads up on Penn Hills. I have looked in to some places outside of the city, but considering I will be working 12+ hour days with regularity, and at least once a week going home after a 30 hour shift, I was looking mostly in the city to minimize my commute. Would these places be reasonable for getting in to and out of the city? How would the scene be for a young single guy? I'm not trying to go out and pick up women every night, I don't have time for that, but it would be more enjoyable to be living in a community with a number of people in my age range.

What can you guys tell me about Stanton Heights? Several really nice looking places there for cheap, doesn't seem to be too far away from everything, and doesn't look wildly dangerous. Am I missing something horrible about this area?

Old 04-18-2010, 02:39 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,408,926 times
You might consider the near South Hills neighborhoods of Greentree, Dormont, and Brookline. They're nice areas, about a 15 minute drive to West Penn, and within your price range.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,170,925 times
Quote:
There look to be some decent places in Lawrenceville and Stanton Heights, but I was told by some friends in the area that I should steer clear of most of the areas north of Penn Ave.
I have no idea why people have told you to steer clear of Lawrenceville. It's an up and coming area that is more in your price range.

Quote:
Am I missing anywhere?
You are missing Morningside.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,170,925 times
Quote:
What can you guys tell me about Stanton Heights? Several really nice looking places there for cheap, doesn't seem to be too far away from everything, and doesn't look wildly dangerous. Am I missing something horrible about this area?
Stanton Heights isn't bad. It's a working class neighborhood where lots of police officers and firefighters live. It's more diverse than many other areas you're considering. That is probably the reason the house prices are lower, but it's a safe city neighborhood. Look into Morningside too. It's right next door to Stanton Heights.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:13 PM

Thank you. I will look at places in Morningside and Stanton Heights for sure. Lawrenceville is a pretty big area and I'm not even sure how you locals divide it up in your minds (the maps show a central/upper/lower). Are there certain areas or sections of Lawrenceville I should be looking at specifically? It seems pretty convenient to both hospitals for me, so it might be a great fit.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:14 PM

524 posts, read 1,037,755 times
I'd agree with Hopes - not sure why you've been told to stay away from Lawrenceville and Stanton Heights. I'd also agree that Morningside is a great little neighborhood with homes in your price range. One other area I might add is Friendship, and though most of the homes there are quite large, there are some that are smaller and more likely to be in your price range.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:48 PM

524 posts, read 1,037,755 times
That's not a bad area at all. It's in Lawrenceville, but very close to the border of Bloomfield. It's walking distance to West Penn, and easy to drive to AGH - just shoot down 40th St., cross the bridge and head down 28. It is in a less "trendy" part of Lawrenceville, but easy to walk to everything interesting.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:39 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,907,966 times
L'ville Bloomfield and Friendship are the OP's best bets.....all three are walkable...

Their walking distance to WPH - Close to the trendy spots and the OP wouldn't need a car as he can use the 54C (crosstown bus) to get to and from AGH! (stops right at the front door) when needed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh