Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:54 PM

104 posts, read 353,604 times

Advertisements

Hey--

We're relocating from Boston, FINALLY sold our house there (again) and are looking for affordable housing near the city. We've found a few really beautiful and inexpensive homes in Observatory Hill, but don't know anything about it. It seems it has a lovely park and is convenient to 279.

People have described it to me as "in transition." Can anyone elaborate on this? Is it safe to have little kids living there?

And what is the tax situation there? Transfer tax? Wage tax? Property taxes?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 06:01 PM

69 posts, read 295,463 times
I don't know about observatory hill, but it does border some bad areas of the north side such as perry hiltop, manchester, ect.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:41 PM

75 posts, read 336,184 times
Observatory Hill is a really beautiful area...big old homes, the park and close to the city. However, to say it is in transition - perhaps, but having lived there 10 years ago, and now having friends who bought there and are presently living there....there is a different feel to the area. There is a lot to be said about familiarity and how it provides one with a sense of security, but, honestly, I don't think I would move back there. Maybe check out Bellevue....5 minutes easy commute to the city - old homes, dry town, a good mix of older and young residents -

Old 06-13-2007, 08:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiemoon0810 View Post
Observatory Hill is a really beautiful area...big old homes, the park and close to the city. However, to say it is in transition - perhaps, but having lived there 10 years ago, and now having friends who bought there and are presently living there....there is a different feel to the area. There is a lot to be said about familiarity and how it provides one with a sense of security, but, honestly, I don't think I would move back there.
Can you provide specifics as to why you wouldn't move back there?

Old 06-13-2007, 08:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
If you're looking in that area, it seems hard to go wrong with Brighton Heights, which is just to the west of Observatory Hill and (IIRC) just south of the previously suggested Bellevue.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:13 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Drover, can you say why you like Brighton Heights in comparison to Bellevue? Won't you have higher taxes actually living in the Burgh? Given the higher cost, what will you get in BH? Better architecture?

Old 06-13-2007, 11:38 PM

It's been a long, long time since I've been in the Bellevue/Brighton Heights area, BUT -- what I continue to read and observe from a distance about that area seems to support what I remember of it. Best I know the architecture from Brighton to Bellvue is pretty indistinguishable; in fact if I recall correctly it's pretty hard to tell when you've crossed from one into the other. Property taxes are actually higher in Bellevue than Pittsburgh proper by over 10%. If I had to put a kid in either of the respective school districts, I'd gladly pay the extra 10%. I don't really favor Brighton Heights over Bellevue or vice-versa; it's just another area to consider in the vicinity of Observatory Hill.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:36 AM

Default Thanks so much

But I'm not exactly understanding why we don't like Observatory Hill?

Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhprentiss View Post
But I'm not exactly understanding why we don't like Observatory Hill?
Because Observatory Hill can be sketchy in areas, and borders a good bit of territory that is beyond "sketchy." Thing is, I don't think anyone here knows enough about it to identify where the better parts are and the not-so-better parts are. My impression of O-Hill, albeit from 10 years ago, was that it seemed to almost be on a street-by-street basis.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:45 PM

Okay, how about Lawrenceville? We've found some interesting property there as well. We have a couple of little kids, so we need an area that they will be able to wander around in without us being worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh