Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:48 AM

48 posts, read 103,189 times

Advertisements

I am looking at Observatory Hill 15214. Where do people grocery shop there? What is it like getting to downtown using public transportation? Does it feel like a respectable area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 12:32 PM

733 posts, read 987,582 times
I've wondered this myself. There is a Giant Eagle at 4110 Brighton Road, and I think it may be the closest grocery store. Since Ob Hill is so close to 279, I'd guess a lot of folks hit grocery stores off of it or McKnight Rd also, though I don't have occasion to go out there, so I don't know where they might be.

There is a bus that goes straight down Perrysville Ave, so the commute shouldn't be bad at all. Perrysville is a main road too, so the odds of that bus getting shafted as Port Authority continues to cut services aren't very high.

It's definitely a cool area. It's a bit gritty, not fancy or ritzy, but most of Pittsburgh is the same. There is some crime there from time to time (like many city neighborhoods), but it's not a dangerous part of town. I'd live there.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:42 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,302 times
One of the regulars lives up there... I'm sure they'll chime in.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:44 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
One of the regulars lives up there... I'm sure they'll chime in.
Yeah. I'm pretty sure MeinGlanzendMotorrad lives in Perry South, which is just down the hill from Observatory Hill.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:57 PM

377 posts, read 652,320 times
I would guess a lot of people also shop at West View Plaza. There is a Giant Eagle, Kmart, Dollar Store and fast food places. Also I think buses go there quite often as well.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
15214 isn't contiguous with Observatory Hill.
Perry South, Fineview, the Charles St. Valley, Northview Hts, City View and Summer Hill all share the same zip code.

From Observatory Hill, the closest grocers are the Giant Eagles in West View and Brighton Rd., shop n Save on Rochester Rd and the Kuhns in North Hills Village.
The Perrysville bus runs pretty frequently, although its not an express route it takes about 1/2 hour to get to town.

I think its a respectable area, they've have an Observatory Hill House Tour every year and Riverview Park is a lovely public space.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:19 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,723 times
Mr. Bill's/The Commodore Cafe is the hippest spot in Pittsburgh.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:46 PM

48 posts, read 103,189 times
Thanks all, I am a bit of a gourmet cook so like to know what is available. Would you say the nearest Methodist Church is the one in Shady Side towards E. Liberty? Anyone else handicapped out there? Looks more and more like this is where the houses I like are pulling me.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,381,103 times
[quote]It's definitely a cool area. It's a bit gritty, not fancy or ritzy, but most of Pittsburgh is the same. There is some crime there from time to time (like many city neighborhoods), but it's not a dangerous part of town. I'd live there.[quote]

Yep there's no better way to sum it up...
Like the CaptainPittsburgh said just be aware that that may be the gritty section of Observatory Hill. Drug activity is fairly present and there have been a few shootings in the area from Watson Blvd to Warldolf St, BUT NOT any type of gang activity... Long story short it's gritty, but livable.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspyder View Post
Thanks all, I am a bit of a gourmet cook so like to know what is available. Would you say the nearest Methodist Church is the one in Shady Side towards E. Liberty? Anyone else handicapped out there? Looks more and more like this is where the houses I like are pulling me.
There are lots of Methodist churches in Pittsburgh, and plenty closer than Shadyside or East Liberty to Observatory Hill.

On the lower North Side, there is a real prominent and classy looking Methodist church on Allegheny and Beech Aves, Calvary Methodist.

Welcome to Calvary United Methodist Church of Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh