Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:52 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Saying that and saying you "are from Pittsburgh" are two very different things.
To clarify, when I said "I'm from Pittsburgh," I meant that I'm from the Pittsburgh area, not the City of Pittsburgh. Someone from out of town is not going to care how I describe it, just as long as they know where I'm from. If I met someone in Ocean City who happens to be from the City of Pittsburgh, then I would tell them that I'm from Greensburg. It's just common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:00 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
To clarify, when I said "I'm from Pittsburgh," I meant that I'm from the Pittsburgh area, not the City of Pittsburgh. Someone from out of town is not going to care how I describe it, just as long as they know where I'm from. If I met someone in Ocean City who happens to be from the City of Pittsburgh, then I would tell them that I'm from Greensburg. It's just common sense.
My wife and I travel a lot. When I go home to Erie, we always run in to people "from Pittsburgh". Normally, that conversation goes like this......

Other couple to us "Where are you from?"

Me "Pittsburgh"

Other couple "oh really, where?"

"Point Breeze"

Other couple "oh, where is that?"

Me "uhhhh East End of the city?"

Other couple "oh, well we really are from Mckees Rocks"

That's what I figured

Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 PM

Lots of people say they're from Pittsburgh even if they're really not from the city limits. I guess it's just a regional thing. If I lived in Millcreek Twp outside of Erie, I'd probably just say that I'm from Erie.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:18 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Lots of people say they're from Pittsburgh even if they're really not from the city limits. I guess it's just a regional thing. If I lived in Millcreek Twp outside of Erie, I'd probably just say that I lived in Erie.
The funny thing is, Erie people don't do this. They will proudly say "Girard", or "North East", or "Harborcreek".

Old 05-24-2010, 07:22 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Born and raised in Altoona, and you call Pgh Sh-ittsburgh?
Yep. Altoona was a real nice area to live and raise a family until about 6-8 years ago when the drug rehabbers started to be trucked in from all the big cities and took over the town. It has went downhill since and not getting any better. Even though, it still has not reached the level of Pittsburgh for crime and ghettos.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
The funny thing is, Erie people don't do this. They will proudly say "Girard", or "North East", or "Harborcreek".
What if an out-of-towner asked them where they're from? Would they still say Girard or Harborcreek? Someone who's never been to Erie is not going to know where that's at unless they were told that it's near Erie. That's why I tell people that I'm from Greensburg rather than Hempfield because more people know Greensburg.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
It takes a special dedication to live in a big city
A-ha. Okay. I don't agree. One person's special dedication is another person's necessity, pure pleasure, etc. But okay.

I think it's far too much weight to give the answer to a simple small talk question. I don't agree that people are being phony in answering such a question with a close-by larger place. Hell, around here we use "near Cranberry" as a better description for where we live when talking with others in the greater Pittsburgh area. Why? Because it's a location thing. People want to know where to place it. I could say "Baden", which is the zip code given by the post office, but that's not a good placement because we're nowhere near the river and Rt 65. I could say "the Bradford Park area of Economy Borough", if I want to be met with blank stares. Maybe not if they're a real estate agent, but otherwise: "Where's that?" "Near Cranberry." "Oh." Most people, even if they don't expressly say it, would add "Why didn't you just say that in the first place?" They're not interested in a huge dissertation. (Not about this, anyway, although then again I wouldn't put it past a few nebby Pittsburghers. ) It's about cutting to the real meaning of the discussion, which is giving people a familiar landmark, not a precise accounting of it all.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
It's not a pride thing it's a geography thing.

If it was a pride thing you'd say Pennsylvania and skip the Pittsburgh bit.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 AM

Although I dunno why you'd be proud of Pennsylvania either.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I think it's far too much weight to give the answer to a simple small talk question. I don't agree that people are being phony in answering such a question with a close-by larger place. Hell, around here we use "near Cranberry" as a better description for where we live when talking with others in the greater Pittsburgh area. Why? Because it's a location thing. People want to know where to place it. I could say "Baden", which is the zip code given by the post office, but that's not a good placement because we're nowhere near the river and Rt 65. I could say "the Bradford Park area of Economy Borough", if I want to be met with blank stares. Maybe not if they're a real estate agent, but otherwise: "Where's that?" "Near Cranberry." "Oh." Most people, even if they don't expressly say it, would add "Why didn't you just say that in the first place?" They're not interested in a huge dissertation. (Not about this, anyway, although then again I wouldn't put it past a few nebby Pittsburghers. ) It's about cutting to the real meaning of the discussion, which is giving people a familiar landmark, not a precise accounting of it all.
Agreed. I rent an apartment that has an "Oakdale" address, yet I'm 5 1/2 miles from the actual "town center" of Oakdale and only 2 miles from Robinson Town Center. And I'm 2 blocks away from a sign that says "Findlay Township" and another that says "North Fayette" so I don't know where the heck I technically even live. lol And there's an apt complex just down the street from me that has a "Coraopolis" address, yet it's west Robinson. WTF? So I just tell locals I live near Robinson. And for people out of the area, I say I'm from Pittsburgh. What's the harm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh