Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should women seeking an abortion be required to view an image of the fetus?
Yes 14 17.50%
No 65 81.25%
Not sure 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:29 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,333,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I comprehend English and the definition of big words like "force" and "choice"....you do not.
Are you dizzy from all your spinning? Let's review your comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?!
You really can't understand how passing a law FORCING women to have a procedure they don't need or request is NOT controlling women??? OHMYGAWD! Brainwash complete!!!!!
As explained for the umpteenth time, these women are ALREADY undergoing an ultrasound. What about that don't you comprehend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 08:34 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Are you dizzy from all your spinning? Let's review your comment:

As explained for the umpteenth time, these women are ALREADY undergoing an ultrasound. What about that don't you comprehend?
I don't think so.

Please provide a link to support your assertion that it is standard procedure to do an ultrasound on all women seeking an abortion.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:14 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,333,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I don't think so.

Please provide a link to support your assertion that it is standard procedure to do an ultrasound on all women seeking an abortion.
Abortion Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Abortion Preparation on eMedicineHealth
Quote:
Imaging studies
An ultrasound is virtually always done for pregnancy confirmation and dating. Doctors are looking for how many fetuses may be developing, the size of the fetus or fetuses, a picture of the uterus and ovaries, and to rule out a problem such as an ectopic pregnancy (a life-threatening condition in which the fetus develops outside the uterus).
Quote:
The assessment process involves only a targeted history, physical examination, laboratory work, and ultrasound (including dating of the pregnancy, if indicated) followed by a counseling session.
ETA: My sister is an ultrasonographer and works in a OB/GYNE fertility clinic. Although her office does not perform abortions, she confirmed for me that u/s's are standard procedure to determine the gestational age of the fetus (many women lie about the date of their last menstrual period especially if they are at the upper end of the abortion timeframe window), and to determine the location and number of fetuses. Of course, you don't need to take my word for it. You can call your local abortion clinic and ask them their procedures.

Last edited by AuDiBelle; 06-12-2010 at 09:32 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 09:56 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,344,316 times
Quote:
Abortion Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Abortion Preparation on eMedicineHealth

ETA: My sister is an ultrasonographer and works in a OB/GYNE fertility clinic. Although her office does not perform abortions, she confirmed for me that u/s's are standard procedure to determine the gestational age of the fetus (many women lie about the date of their last menstrual period especially if they are at the upper end of the abortion timeframe window), and to determine the location and number of fetuses. Of course, you don't need to take my word for it. You can call your local abortion clinic and ask them their procedures.
Thanks. I did a search, obviously did not word it properly.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:21 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,577,445 times
"Routine ultrasound is not considered medically necessary as a component of first trimester abortion.."

http://www.guttmacher.org/statecente...s/spib_RFU.pdf

Here's an interesting article on the effect forcing women to view ultrasounds has had on their decisions to abort in other states where this has already been introduced (Hint it has had no effect):

In Ultrasound, Abortion Fight Has New Front - NYTimes.com

Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,162,970 times
I thought the GOP and tea party was about less government in their lives.................hmmmmm it seems they like to put that aside when it will help with their agenda

Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,776,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRGHOST View Post
He keeps digging himself a hole. You want to murder your child you should be forced to see it before you do. Don't like that? Don't get pregnant.
I am anti abortion, but this proposed law clearly would not stand up in court.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:28 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
No. It's counter productive to put more restrictions on first trimester abortions since it will just lead to an increase in second trimester abortions. Women having first trimester abortions most likely shouldn't be having the babies anyway dontcha think?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:40 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,752,495 times
Quote:
Wrong. I'm pretty sure that an ultrasound is required and performed prior to &/or during the abortion procedure itself.
You are pretty wrong.

Ever heard of RU487?

Forcing women to have a penetrative vaginal ultrasound (medical procedure) before undergoing a legal, often nonmedical procedure, is a huge violation of personal privacy and autonomy.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:17 AM

19,855 posts, read 12,127,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You are pretty wrong.

Ever heard of RU487?

No, but I have heard of RU486.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies