Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 06:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,703,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
At least click on the link if you're going to make ridiculous remarks. Because you just embarrassed yourself to great magnitudes.
Actually, I didn't embarrass myself at all.

Ben Franklin:

"When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not care to support it, so that its professors are obliged to call for the help of the civil power, 'tis a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one."

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."

Thomas Jefferson:

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man."

"The Christian God is a being of terrific character -- cruel, vindictive, capricious, and unjust."

"If the obstacles of bigotry and priestcraft can be surmounted, we may hope that common sense will suffice to do everything else."

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."

"He is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong."

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

"If we could believe that [Jesus]...countenanced the follies, falsehoods and charlatanisms which his biographers father on him, ...the conclusion would be irresistible...that he was an imposter."

"I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State."

"...difference of opinion is advantageous in religion. The several sects perform the office of a common censor over each other. Is uniformity attainable? Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced an inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth."

"It is between fifty and sixty years since I read the Apocalypse, and I then considered it merely the ravings of a maniac."

"..our civil rights have no dependance on our religious opinions, any more than our opinions in physics or geometry"

"A lively and lasting sense of filial duty is more effectually impressed on the mind of a son or daughter by reading King Lear, than by all the dry volumes of ethics, and divinity, that ever were written."

"We discover [in the gospels] a groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things impossible, of superstition, fanaticism and fabrication."

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law."

"History I believe furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."

"To penetrate and dissipate these clouds of darkness, the general mind must be strengthened by education."

"Creeds have been the bane of the Christian church
... made of Christendom a slaughter-house."

John Adams

"The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles?"

James Madison

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprize, every expanded prospect."

"The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries."

"Experience witnesseth that ecclesiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and efficacy of religion, have had a contrary operation. During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."

George Washington:

"There is nothing which can better deserve our patronage than the promotion of science and literature. Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."

Abraham Lincoln:

"My earlier views at the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Actually, I didn't embarrass myself at all.

Ben Franklin:

"When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not care to support it, so that its professors are obliged to call for the help of the civil power, 'tis a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one."

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."

Thomas Jefferson:

"The Christian God is a being of terrific character -- cruel, vindictive, capricious, and unjust."

"If the obstacles of bigotry and priestcraft can be surmounted, we may hope that common sense will suffice to do everything else."

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."

"He is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong."

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

"If we could believe that [Jesus]...countenanced the follies, falsehoods and charlatanisms which his biographers father on him, ...the conclusion would be irresistible...that he was an imposter."

"I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State."

"...difference of opinion is advantageous in religion. The several sects perform the office of a common censor over each other. Is uniformity attainable? Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced an inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth."

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man."

"It is between fifty and sixty years since I read the Apocalypse, and I then considered it merely the ravings of a maniac."

"..our civil rights have no dependance on our religious opinions, any more than our opinions in physics or geometry"

"A lively and lasting sense of filial duty is more effectually impressed on the mind of a son or daughter by reading King Lear, than by all the dry volumes of ethics, and divinity, that ever were written."

"We discover [in the gospels] a groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things impossible, of superstition, fanaticism and fabrication."

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law."

"History I believe furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."

"To penetrate and dissipate these clouds of darkness, the general mind must be strengthened by education."

"Creeds have been the bane of the Christian church
... made of Christendom a slaughter-house."

John Adams

"The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles?"

James Madison

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprize, every expanded prospect."

"The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries."

"Experience witnesseth that ecclesiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and efficacy of religion, have had a contrary operation. During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."

George Washington:

"There is nothing which can better deserve our patronage than the promotion of science and literature. Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."

Abraham Lincoln:

"My earlier views at the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them."
You've proven nothing, nada, zilch, ZERO with these quotes. All you've shown are the battles that Christians face every day, whether it be in personal feelings or public proclamations. To this day, Christians feel the same weight of good vs bad. This was nothing new to Christians then. It's nothing new to Christians now. NONE of this proves that the authors' weren't Christians. It merely shows that they were insightful enough to see that the nation shouldn't be dictated by a certain, established religion. That's all.

So, while you're mincing ideas to fit your Agenda, why don't you go back and ask Zeke why he felt it was necessary to make both of you look foolish. Proclaiming that the founding fathers were not Christians was a fools errand. It was WAY too easy to disprove.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:42 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,703,499 times
Read the quotes. Then respond. You will see that you are incorrect in your conclusion and that I have proven everything.

And never confuse their discussion of God with support of any one religion. Those are two diametrically opposed concepts.

I have proven all that needs to be proven for this discussion. I'm out. Enjoy your evening.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
This is real history and it's your kind that wallows in lies. I understand though, the truth is often troubling which is why most people run from it.
Quote:
Since we ought to be no less persuaded that the propitious smiles of Heaven, can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained: And since the preservation of the sacred fire of liberty, and the destiny of the Republican model of Government, are justly considered as deeply, perhaps as finally staked, on the experiment entrusted to the hands of the American people.
First Inaugural Address (April 30, 1789) - Miller Center of Public Affairs

Old 06-14-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor, and Whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee 78 requested me "to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanks-giving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness."
Thanksgiving Proclamation (October 3, 1789) - Miller Center of Public Affairs

Old 06-14-2010, 06:48 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Read the quotes. Then respond. You will see that you are incorrect in your conclusion and that I have proven everything.

And never confuse their discussion of God with support of any one religion. Those are two diametrically opposed concepts.

I have proven all that needs to be proven for this discussion. I'm out. Enjoy your evening.
You're out because you've been taken to the woodshed. You insist on "your" quotes while tossing mine to the curb. That's what I call Classy Debating.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Profoundly penetrated with this idea, I shall carry it with me to my grave as a strong incitement to unceasing vows that Heaven may continue to you the choicest tokens of its beneficence;
Farewell Address (September 19, 1796) - Miller Center of Public Affairs

Quote:
And may that Being who is supreme over all, the Patron of Order, the Fountain of Justice, and the Protector in all ages of the world of virtuous liberty, continue His blessing upon this nation and its Government and give it all possible success and duration consistent with the ends of His providence.
Inaugural Address (March 4, 1797) - Miller Center of Public Affairs

Quote:
To enable me to maintain this declaration I rely, under God, with entire confidence on the firm and enlightened support of the national legislature and upon the virtue and patriotism of my fellow citizens.
Special Session Message to Congress (XYZ Affair) (May 16, 1797) - Miller Center of Public Affairs

Old 06-14-2010, 06:51 PM

Default It appears you've never actually read anything from them....

Quote:
Let us, then, with courage and confidence pursue our own Federal and Republican principles, our attachment to union and representative government. Kindly separated by nature and a wide ocean from the exterminating havoc of one quarter of the globe; too high-minded to endure the degradations of the others; possessing a chosen country, with room enough for our descendants to the thousandth and thousandth generation; entertaining a due sense of our equal right to the use of our own faculties, to the acquisitions of our own industry, to honor and confidence from our fellow-citizens, resulting not from birth, but from our actions and their sense of them; enlightened by a benign religion, professed, indeed, and practiced in various forms, yet all of them inculcating honesty, truth, temperance, gratitude, and the love of man; acknowledging and adoring an overruling Providence, which by all its dispensations proves that it delights in the happiness of man here and his greater happiness hereafter -- with all these blessings, what more is necessary to make us a happy and a prosperous people? Still one thing more, fellow-citizens -- a wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities.
First Inaugural Address (March 4, 1801) - Miller Center of Public Affairs

I hope you're not one of those anti-free market types...

Old 06-14-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I shall be pardoned for expressing my earnest wishes that he may long enjoy in his retirement the affections of a grateful country, the best reward of exalted talents and the most faithful and meritorious service. Relying on the aid to be derived from the other departments of the Government, I enter on the trust to which I have been called by the suffrages of my fellow-citizens with my fervent prayers to the Almighty that He will be graciously pleased to continue to us that protection which He has already so conspicuously displayed in our favor.
First Inaugural Address (March 4, 1817) - Miller Center of Public Affairs

Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
In that interval the never slumbering eye of a wise and beneficent Providence has continued its guardian care over the welfare of our beloved country; the blessing of health has continued generally to prevail throughout the land; the blessing of peace with our brethren of the human race has been enjoyed without interruption; internal quiet has left our fellow citizens in the full enjoyment of all their rights and in the free exercise of all their faculties, to pursue the impulse of their nature and the obligation of their duty in the improvement of their own condition; the productions of the soil, the exchanges of commerce, the vivifying labors of human industry, have combined to mingle in our cup a portion of enjoyment as large and liberal as the indulgence of Heaven has perhaps ever granted to the imperfect state of man upon earth;
Third Annual Message (December 4, 1827) - Miller Center of Public Affairs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies