Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:13 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
See that is what I want to know. I don't think a moderate is one who votes democratic on some issues and republican on others. But some people see to believe this.
I think, in theory, a moderate should describe someone pretty square in the middle. But I did have to laugh (and somewhat agree) with the prevoius poster who said something about there is nothing on the yellow line except dead aramdillos!
In our country, in todays climate I really have a hard time with moderates, or even believing there are any!
Because with regard to the issues, the important ones any how, we are so far apart. And again, I am not trying to put down anyone who deems themselves moderate, but I just don't understand how anyone could actually BE in the middle.
And alot of people bash people of passion shall we say, the far right wingers, lefties, neocons, libs. Almost all the terms are derogatory it seems.
And I am a proud conservative, but I can also respect, and understand that the same passion I have is held by liberals. And though, of course I believe they are mostly misguided (ha ha), I atleast respect their passion!
Sorry to be so long-winded.
I have my own views on issues, and none of them rely on what the RNC or DNC think they should be. So it that respect I'm a moderate.

Some people seem to view a moderate as someone who has no stated position on an issue, which to me indicates that they are simply not informed enough to have formed an opinion. Almost without fail, when a person tells me they are a moderate, it's because they have not put much thought into the issues and are simply ignorant about what they clam to be a moderate on.

Then other claim they are a moderate because they do not fall on one of the extremes for an issue, like abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:38 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
This is a good thread and a good question. It is going to be as difficult, though, to identify individual "moderates" as it will be to get most to agree on the definition of "moderate".

Many of us see clearly that on this forum we have two camps of extremists that march in lock step with their fellow extremists on every single major issue. My tendency is to define a moderate as a person who marches to his/her own beat and actually thinks-through their stances, taking positions based upon the facts of their own experience and those of others that are proven, along with common sense and logic. That person will, as a result of a reflective thought process, be in alignment with the "right" team on some issues and with the "left" team on others. Clearly, what I am saying is that some positions adhered to by the "right" team are indefensible and some positions defended to the death by the "left" team are equally indefensible. I cannot take seriously anyone who never strays from their team's marching orders.

So I guess what I have defined here is an independent thinker and, to me, that is moderation is today's seemingly polarized beyond repair political climate.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:56 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
This is a good thread and a good question. It is going to be as difficult, though, to identify individual "moderates" as it will be to get most to agree on the definition of "moderate".

Many of us see clearly that on this forum we have two camps of extremists that march in lock step with their fellow extremists on every single major issue. My tendency is to define a moderate as a person who marches to his/her own beat and actually thinks-through their stances, taking positions based upon the facts of their own experience and those of others that are proven, along with common sense and logic. That person will, as a result of a reflective thought process, be in alignment with the "right" team on some issues and with the "left" team on others. Clearly, what I am saying is that some positions adhered to by the "right" team are indefensible and some positions defended to the death by the "left" team are equally indefensible. I cannot take seriously anyone who never strays from their team's marching orders.

So I guess what I have defined here is an independent thinker and, to me, that is moderation is today's seemingly polarized beyond repair political climate.
Well said. Very good definition.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:00 AM

Default Good job guys!

I have to say I'm proud of you guys. I thought for sure that this thread would get hijacked by one or the other in the extremist camps and devolve into yet another stalemate of stupidity.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I have to say I'm proud of you guys. I thought for sure that this thread would get hijacked by one or the other in the extremist camps and devolve into yet another stalemate of stupidity.
Like this one?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...radically.html

Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
I'm moderately moderate... based on reason, not ideologies. Libertarian on social issues, left-leaning on government's role in performing its duties (domestic/economic) and a conservative foreign policy (not to be confused with right wing foreign policy).

Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yeah, I guess that one got out of control.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Yeah, I guess that one got out of control.
When religious wing-nuts arrive en mass, you can kiss control goodbye.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:25 AM

210 posts, read 173,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
neo-cons are former democrats that left the democratic party because it moved to far to the left, they are the 'moderates'
+1

woodrow wilson is the original neo con godfather.

the republican party used to be the anti war party, for civil liberties, human rights, etc. its now all upside-down.

both parties are big govt authoritarians, hardly any difference. there are few true conservatives out there.

Last edited by BX-ALBO; 06-15-2010 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
neo-cons are former democrats that left the democratic party because it moved to far to the left, they are the 'moderates'
How does Dick Cheney fit into all this? By just being a republican?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies