Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yes Nora , you and I are respohnsible for gun safety....takes that burden off the gun -totin' hero-wannabes....somebody gets killed it's all our fault because we just sat on our asses and didn't teach the entire population gun safety...and then work a miracle by ensuring that they USE those lessons...yuppers, all OUR fault...

B effin' S

Spin it as you wish you will anyway. I know there are some people that hate the thought of personal responsibility and education to overcome fear and irresponsible behavior. Fear mongering and eliminating the individual rights of others is so much easier isn't it? The threat is stupidity, not an inanimate object. Looks like you've already fallen victim to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 01:27 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times
I'm a dem. and am pro-gun . My view is that gun ownership is basically good for society (as are more than a couple of conservative tenants). Statistics show that violent crime goes way up when gun access is restricted, and way down when there is equal access. By this I mean swings of over 25% in the case of handgun access. Given this and the recent Supreme court re-affirmation that the 2nd amendment applies to all individuals, one wonders why more people don't see gun ownership as an obligation.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Excellent point, but this nugget of wisdom is generally lost on the big government control freaks.

pro gun + Democrat=oxymoron of the day.

That's a complete farce. That would be like saying Pro American + Republican=oxymoron.

Funny, and for some true, but not accurate nor valid.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
I'm a dem. and am pro-gun . My view is that gun ownership is basically good for society (as are more than a couple of conservative tenants). Statistics show that violent crime goes way up when gun access is restricted, and way down when there is equal access. By this I mean swings of over 25% in the case of handgun access. Given this and the recent Supreme court re-affirmation that the 2nd amendment applies to all individuals, one wonders why more people don't see gun ownership as an obligation.
It is a responsibility but no constitutionally affirmed right is an obligation. That is why with freedom comes responsibility. Those freedoms not voluntarily exercised by a free people are slowly eroded away until they are lost.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Spin it as you wish you will anyway. I know there are some people that hate the thought of personal responsibility and education to overcome fear and irresponsible behavior. Fear mongering and eliminating the individual rights of others is so much easier isn't it?"""

I haven't seen anyone in here trying to eliminate the rights of others....you are making this up.
And
On MY land I rule and if I say NO GUNS guess what? NO guns.

WHY do you wish to infringe on my rights to private property????

""" The threat is stupidity, not an inanimate object. Looks like you've already fallen victim to it.
So far I have seen nothing from you except conjecture and insults (BTW, it's really cowardly to need a gun because you're terrified of family reunions, you should really educate yourself on them, oh, that's right ...it's SOMEONE ELSE'S RESPONSIBILITY to educate YOU....that's what YOU are saying, please try to overcome your fear of family reunions but keeping placing the blame on someone else)

Old 06-25-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So far I have seen nothing from you except conjecture and insults (BTW, it's really cowardly to need a gun because you're terrified of family reunions, you should really educate yourself on them, oh, that's right ...it's SOMEONE ELSE'S RESPONSIBILITY to educate YOU....that's what YOU are saying, please try to overcome your fear of family reunions but keeping placing the blame on someone else)
?? You are spinning so fast you don't even make any sense. Grow up.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Agree w/ Ovcatto. I don't own a gun -and find the whole protection argument dubious- but grew up hunting and still enjoy target shooting with my brothers when we are camping or I'm visiting them.

I have no problems with folks owning guns at all. I have major problems with folks using guns for intimidation, or desperately overcompensating for their feelings of emasculation.
This is where I stand as well. With gun ownership comes risks and consequences, but it is up to individuals (not the government) to accept or reject them. Sadly, a few weeks ago a friend of mine's husband shot himself while she was in the next room. He had suffered from depression for years. I would never own a gun because my daughter and I are both medicated for depression.

Suicide by gun is often too quick and spontanous, so it would be dangerous for us to own one.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:32 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
?? You are spinning so fast you don't even make any sense. Grow up.
"Grow up"? I answered, I responded, you can't....who should grow up?

Spinning? No, spinning is when YOU apply NO logic to your comments....

YOU spun "no guns at a family reunion" to "fear of guns".

YOU spun worry about gun toters into WE are responsible for educating THEM.

YOU spun yourself in a circle......

Old 06-25-2010, 03:07 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeHighlander View Post
I am a moderate democrat who is very pro-gun, and I was wondering how many other democrats here share this view.

I was a card carrying NRA member for several years, but after witnessing the unfounded "obama will take your guns away" hysterics the NRA helped propagate, the NRA will never see another dollar from me.

Does anyone know of any non-political or left-leaning pro-gun organizations that could be an alternative to the NRA for democrat gun owners?
I would consider myself a left leaning independent, and I am pro-gun but also pro strict regulation of sales. I don't mind you having a gun as long as you can prove you should, and are capable of owning one.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I would consider myself a left leaning independent, and I am pro-gun but also pro strict regulation of sales. I don't mind you having a gun as long as you can prove you should, and are capable of owning one.
Do you have to prove your elegibility to practice any other constitutionally affirmed rights? Something worth considering.

I do not believe those who have commited violent crimes against persons, armed felonies etc. should be allowed firearms ownership. However, I am of the mind that if a person is still a threat to society they should never get out of jail unless and until they can be trusted to be responsible and law abiding. That would cut down on the need for law abiding citizens to "prove" anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies