Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:54 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,157,653 times

Advertisements

We all agree now that before the 1960s the Democrats had a very poor record on civil rights. So what? This is the 21st century. Let's talk about something relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,786,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think that when you argue that churches dominate life and politics in the North from 1800-1860, you are actually driving home my argument. The abolition movement was certainly a progressive movement, but a progressive movement with no economic obstacles to oppose it. The support of public education had an economic impetus. Industrialists rely on employees to have at least rudimentary skills such as basic reading, writing and arithmetic, which is what public education focused on. If you look at the early arguments for public education, especially those made in Massachusetts, you will see that the selling point of public education is that it's good for business.

When churches dominate life and politics, in any social system, you see a society that is more rigid, both in enforcing social mores but also in maintaining rigid class systems. Society is less flexible, less welcoming of new ideas, new ways of doing things, newcomers in general. You see that in the North, the Boston Brahmins, the rigid upper-class society of New York in the 1800's and early 1900's. Churches didn't dominate Southern culture until after the Civil War, and as churches took hold, you see an increasingly rigid and conservative social system.
They were liberal churches, they started the movements I'm talking about. They weren't Southern Baptists or the like. That's the fact of the matter.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,080,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Here are the facts from CORE about where Democrats stood before 1964 Civil rights legislation:

History of Filibusters

Who would have known since they don't teach this history anymore in the US government schools.
We were taught that when I was in school. We were also taught all political parties have a tendency to evolve over time.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
They were liberal churches, they started the movements I'm talking about. They weren't Southern Baptists or the like. That's the fact of the matter.
And the Southern Baptist churches weren't politically or socially all that powerful prior to the Civil War. Which is what I've been pointing out to you. The South was more socially liberal prior to the Civil War than the South. That's the fact of the matter.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:07 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,786,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And the Southern Baptist churches weren't politically or socially all that powerful prior to the Civil War. Which is what I've been pointing out to you. The South was more socially liberal prior to the Civil War than the South. That's the fact of the matter.
No, I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. You said that churches prove your point about conservatism, and I said, not these churches in the north, they weren't conservative-like the SB is today. Besides the whole Baptist movement starts with America's first liberal, Roger Williams, but besides the point.

You still have yet to say specifically how the south was liberal anyway. They north also had literature, arts, music, architecture, etc, plus the social mindedness one might associate with liberal movements.

The south was pretty clear to hang onto its "way of life" which is a very conservative way of thinking.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:09 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,405,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
We all agree now that before the 1960s the Democrats had a very poor record on civil rights. So what? This is the 21st century. Let's talk about something relevant.
What is your response to Biden & Boxer?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:10 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,295,627 times
Quote:
You think history is irrelevant? Or just history that is not especially flattering to your position?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,157,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
You think history is irrelevant? Or just history that is not especially flattering to your position?
What you are trying to do is perpetuate a lie. The lie is denial that the Republican Party is currently a racist organization.

We have all acknowledged the history of the Democratic Party. What we are waiting for is you to acknowledge the current practices of the Republican Party.

Last edited by rhinestone; 06-30-2010 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 10:22 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,405,090 times
Quote:
What you trying to do is perpetuate a lie. The lie is denial that the Republican Party is currently a racist organization.

We have all acknowledged the history of the Democratic Party. What we are waiting for is you to acknowledge the current practices of the Republican Party.

YouTube - Sen. Barbara Boxer accused of racism by head of Black Chamber of Commerce

Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,080,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
What is your response to Biden & Boxer?
My response is: if you think they're racist and klan material, you're a moron. The man they serve at the hands of is mixed-race and they both love the guy. Boxer is Jewish, and Biden grew up in Wilmington, which is a black city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies