Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Montana GOP says homosexuality should be illegal. Do you agree?
Yes 14 12.28%
No 100 87.72%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:28 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
A religion isn't a behavior.
Yes it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
This thread highlights why the "average american" shouldn't be in charge of squat.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yes it is.
No it isn't, religion is a belief which motivates behavior.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm not in Montana. But if they want to do that, let them. That's a states-rights issue. Don't like it? Don't move there.
No, it's not a states rights issue. The Supreme Court has already ruled on it. You can't have one set of laws regulating sex for homosexuals, and another set of laws for heterosexuals. It was declared unconstitutional in 2003. If the Montana GOP wants to pass this law, they'll have to convince the state of Montana to leave the union.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:31 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:
If you think 100% of the time it's because someone is BORN that way you're wrong, so you need to take a course about human psychology and sexual development.
So all of a sudden you're Freud?

Hmm, well actually those courses were required at my liberal New England college, so yeah, I do at least have an educated person's understanding of human sexuality.

Sexual development isn't about choice anyway-which is my point.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
A belief that is taught and self appointed. Nobody HAS to be a particular religion. It's way more optional than sexual preference is.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:32 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:
So is morality, which again can be and usually is independent from religion. Religion justifies nothing.

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
So all of a sudden you're Freud?

Hmm, well actually those courses were required at my liberal New England college, so yeah, I do at least have an educated person's understanding of human sexuality.

Sexual development isn't about choice anyway-which is my point.
I'm not going to debate anything except the subject of this thread.

Quote:
If you think 100% of the time it's because someone is BORN that way you're wrong, so you need to take a course about human psychology and sexual development.
So what % of the time IS it becasue someone is born that way? Exactly..

Old 06-30-2010, 12:33 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
Are you seriously comparing driving fast which can kill people to loving someone of the same gender? What does that have to do with 'morality'? It has to do with safety issues.

Oh and cities shouldn't restrict alcohol sales either, no arguments there. That's an overstepping of government, the govt. has no business in telling me when I can and cannot drink alcohol. We should be scaling back the size & power of the government, not increasing it to epic proportions with weird and unnecessary laws!

So, I have a question. Would giving an erotic massage to a male friend be A-OK? Or if I suddenly decide to stick my penis in his butt it's suddenly magically different? How about masturbating beside him? Is this really any of your business anyway? Why is it your concern?

Uh, nobody's forcing you to watch? Mind your own beeswax, busybody. You're the one who wants to RESTRICT things therefore *you* are the one shoving your morality in people's faces. Nobody is trying to restrict you from being a fundamentalist. However you desire to restrict others from doing consensual non-harmful things. See the difference?

Why don't you just come out and admit that you think gays are sick and should be killed. At least you'll make sense.
Have I said that homsexual behavior was right or wrong on this thread? I've simply said it's a state's right to make it legal or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Not really relevant as it's not a states rights issue at all.
Yah...it really is.

Quote:

Besides, what about the gay folks who already live there or will live there through the process of being born? You really didn't think your post through very well did you?
Don't get caught? Don't move there? Don't do those activities? Get enough like-minded people together to reverse it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
You don't believe in free will if your a calvinist, that has everything to do with it. If you're not, you should change your screen name. If you believe your life and afterlife is already decided, then what's the point of freedom. What's the point of thought, what's the point of choice? None of it matters. None of it effects the outcome. Therefore you have no problem telling other people they don't have/shouldn't have free will and free choice, because you believe you are right. You have no vested interest.

I believe in free will because the Bible talks about it. Calvinism is not the absence of free will. Yes, God does choose us and predestine us, but there is also an element of free will. How exactly they work together, I have no idea.
Quote:

My morality versus your morality. Well, you got me there. But my morality doesn't allow room for thoughts about making it illegal to be who you are.

Sure it does. There are lots of people that can't control themselves and commit crimes -- be they sexual crimes, alcohol-related crimes, drug crimes, etc. The difference is that you don't think it's right to make just this issue illegal.

Quote:
No goverment on earth has the power to legislate morality.
So those little laws against murder, stealing, etc are wrong?
Quote:

Besides morality and faith/religion are independent of each other. Faith might inform morality, but just because the Bible says so, doesn't make it right. Do you actually think God Himself wrote that thing?
yes, I do think God wrote it--or inspired it, actually. Can you prove he didn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies