Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 04:07 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I wonder how many people have read the book Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali?
Now this woman grew up in the Middle East and was once even a devout Muslim.
A damn gutsy woman, who commends a truckload of respect. Atheist, by the way. I have no idea how she feels about the right of people to build a mosque in NYC, though. I'm sure she feels the money could be better spent (as do I, but it's not my money), but I'm not sure she'd be into discriminating between religions. (She grew up in Somalia and Kenya, btw. - not the Middle East.)

Quote:
Held down and circumcised by her village. No doctors, no anesthesia of any kind. Sewn up like a doll and legs bound together. All part of the ME Muslim culture.
Actually - FGM is an African practice, predating Christianity and practiced across religions. Several Muslim (and Christian - i.e, mostly Coptic) clerics have condemned the practice. And it's horrifying and needs to be stamped out.

Quote:
My point being that its foolish to assume that any Muslims would be ignorant of the controversy of building a Mosque so close to ground 0 911.
So there's controversy. Are all religions equally protected under the Constitution? Does America have the courage of its convictions? That's a yes-or-no question.

Quote:
Many a Muslim in this country and that area were filmed celebrating the attack.
And many a Muslim died in the attack. Do we give those who didn't lift a hand against us the chance to reach put?

Quote:
NYC is right in fighting this battle.
"NYC" isn't fighting this - FWIW, the local planning authority gave the go-ahead. Tons of local politicians are on board with the plan. Frankly, I sense a clear desire on the part of a lot of people not from NYC to join in a campaign against this. Those New Yorkers I've met tend to be a bit more, well - cosmopolitan.

Quote:
The Mosque would be viewed as a monument to the terrorists.
By whom? bin Laden and his Wahhabist ilk would consider anyone engaging in dialogue with the West traitors and heretics, worse than infidels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 04:41 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Why don't you just offer to let them build it on your families' graves? Then everyone will be happy.
Why don't you return with an argument beyond bare appeal to emotion?

This is really simple: They own the grounds. Nobody would bat an eyelid if a church or synagogue came up. So, does the Constitution offer equal protection of religions? Or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Are you a muslim ? Get real ! Equal rights has nothign to do wth this crap !
Building a house of worship on property you own? It has everything to do with it. I'm pretty much an agnostic, by the way - except when confronted with religious fervor, which is when I claim to worship the old Norse gods.

Quote:
Your rights do not include coming to our nation and injuring ,then insulting our people . Free speech will not allow you to scream fire in a threatre .
As stated, if you have any indications that the people behind the Cordoba project have in fact injured anyone, I expect you to do your duty and inform the FBI. But you don't, do you?

And yes, the First Amendment also covers the right to insult. Not that I see any here, except in the minds of those truly eager to take offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Would you be so agreeable if it were the KKK wanting to build a new charter house on or near the sight of where another white supremist group burned a black church killing members as they prayed?
That's a bit of an odious comparison, isn't it? Apart from the fact that religions are specifically called out for equal protection in the Constitution (and racism isn't), I see nothing in the KKK's chapter calling out for reconciliation, where the people behind the Cordoba center have been engaged in inter-faith dialogue for along time already. There are local rabbis and priests standing firmly behind the project. As I may have posted upthread, this center is everything that militant Islam would hate.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:51 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times
I'm tired of arguing. if the American people have became this cowardly to allow this to happen then they will get exactly what they deserve . I'm old so it won't matter to me anyway .

Old 07-11-2010, 05:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
I'm tired of arguing. if the American people have became this cowardly to allow this to happen then they will get exactly what they deserve . I'm old so it won't matter to me anyway .
I agree. This country is losing identity. I'm tired of all these temples, mosques, synagogues and churches wasting so much land on our soil. There's too many houses of worship! I live in a five square mile town and we have 4 protestant churches! It's ridiculous!

I mean, they have the right to do so, so I guess they can, but it just annoys me!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:06 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Why does a Mosque need to be downtown?

Buncha rich A-rabs livin' there?

Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I agree. This country is losing identity. I'm tired of all these temples, mosques, synagogues and churches wasting so much land on our soil. There's too many houses of worship! I live in a five square mile town and we have 4 protestant churches! It's ridiculous!

I mean, they have the right to do so, so I guess they can, but it just annoys me!
If you don't like religion and don't want to see it anymore go to Vietnam. They have the largest percentage of atheists in the world. Enjoy your freedom there.

Adherents.com: Atheist Statistics | Agnostic

Old 07-11-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
If you don't like religion and don't want to see it anymore go to Vietnam. They have the largest percentage of atheists in the world. Enjoy your freedom there.

Adherents.com: Atheist Statistics | Agnostic
No Thank you. I love this country and I love NJ (as you might be able to tell by my ID). I just hate how the government does not treat the houses of worship like private entities.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:39 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Funny, because the way I see it those who are against the building of the mosque are the true cowards

Old 07-11-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Funny, because the way I see it those who are against the building of the mosque are the true cowards
This.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:33 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
funny, because the way i see it those who are against the building of the mosque are the true cowards
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies